Interesting.....

Scully

Hi David, there really needs to be an overhaul of the BASC website at some point, it's terribly hard to find things, anyway I digress.

I followed the link and emailed my local PCC candidates (Herts) and, thus far, have had a SINGLE response from the incumbent Conservative candidate. His response is below (as I cannot find anywhere to submit the reply on the BASC site?):

Good Morning

Thank you for your email in regards to seeking my views on shooting.

Please follow the below link to a website for further information.

https://david-lloyd-admin.conservativewebsites.org.uk/news/response-shooting-and-gun-licencing

Thank you

David Lloyd

No prizes for guessing who I will be voting for.

Edited by mick miller

The Lib Dem's PCC's candidate's blog, following my request for his stance on licensing use the BASC link.

http://www.kevinmcnamara.co.uk/blog/my-views-on-shooting-in-Essex

I have not had a response from any of the others. In the email that came with the link, he says that licensing is the biggest topic by far that he is being asked his views on.

Edited by Penelope

This was the response from Roger Hirst (Essex) when i asked him his thoughts on the current licence application delays (sadly this was sent before I was aware of the BASC link):

"Essex Police currently have a target of 40 weeks to process new firearms and shotgun certificates. This clearly goes we‎ll beyond the time needed to make the necessary background checks, and can be a problem for rural businesses who need to use these essential countryside tools. If elected as Police & Crime Commissioner for Essex, I will make it my business to bring this down. Other forces manage to turn around applications in less than 10 weeks."

Dear All,

if you get a chance please make use of our lobbying tool on the BASC web site: http://e-activist.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1979&ea.campaign.id=47490

David

David, where does my address end up. I've a strong dislike of entering my personal data which is around gun security when I am not sure about who gets it and how securely it is stored. Any thoughts?

My only response from the West Yorkshire candidates. Peter Corkindale

Hi

With regard to the lawful use and possession of guns for target or hunting purposes I believe that we have just about got it right in this country.

I believe that any further restrictions would do nothing to decrease the number of illegal weapons they are as far as I am concerned unrelated.

I have enjoyed clay pigeon shooting myself and live in the countryside so it will therefore come as no surprise when I say that I support shooting and the current legislation that exists.

I am aware that the licencing department in West Yorkshire is understaffed and over worked having recently been involved in obtaining a section 1 licence for a friend so yes I would look to increase the staff within that department and increase efficiency

Peter

David, where does my address end up. I've a strong dislike of entering my personal data which is around gun security when I am not sure about who gets it and how securely it is stored. Any thoughts?

Your details are needed to locate your candidate.

My only response from the West Yorkshire candidates. Peter Corkindale

Hi

With regard to the lawful use and possession of guns for target or hunting purposes I believe that we have just about got it right in this country.

I believe that any further restrictions would do nothing to decrease the number of illegal weapons they are as far as I am concerned unrelated.

I have enjoyed clay pigeon shooting myself and live in the countryside so it will therefore come as no surprise when I say that I support shooting and the current legislation that exists.

I am aware that the licencing department in West Yorkshire is understaffed and over worked having recently been involved in obtaining a section 1 licence for a friend so yes I would look to increase the staff within that department and increase efficiency

Peter

Your details are needed to locate your candidate.

Good reply from him and just to reinforce the West Yorks bit I've always had good service from Fiona and her team. As an aside I've heard on the grapevine that one of the FEO's has died suddenly. Anyone any further info on this?

Got a response from Katy Bourne (sussex)

Thank you for your email regarding lawful shooting.

I have always been, and will continue to be, supportive of the shooting community in Sussex as they play a key role in the local economy and management of the countryside. This is particularly important in a large and rural county like Sussex.

When I was first elected as Police and Crime Commissioner for Sussex, the backlog of firearms licences was, in my opinion, unacceptable. I received many letters of complaint from residents so this is one of the first areas I tackled.

I requested updates on the work of the Firearms and Explosive Licensing Unit (FELU) specifically around the back-logs in licence renewal processing as this work area impacted upon the level of service being provided to licence holders. As a result of my robust challenge, Sussex Police set an objective for the Unit to achieve a (rolling year) performance of dealing with 80% of all licences within their expiry period. At the last point of national reporting, best practice was around this level - for example, Thames Valley Police dealt with 78% in 2012.

Following my scrutiny and challenge as Police and Crime Commissioner, the successful eradication of the working back-log within the FELU was achieved within six months. This was a clear vindication of the role of Police and Crime Commissioner because it demonstrated how a police force could successfully be held to account for delivery of service on behalf of the public.

Please rest assured that I will continue to monitor the performance of Sussex Police in this important area if I am re-elected on 5 May.

I have also taken this opportunity to attach a letter that featured in the Clay Pigeon Association July 2013 edition praising this work as well as my campaign newspaper which I hope you will find of interest.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact me, it is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Katy

Katy Bourne
Police & Crime Commissioner Conservative Candidate

Election will be held on Thursday 5 May 2016