This is why we hate corvids.

JDog

If you want to talk about numbers and damage to birds, crows and magpies are preverbal saints compared to the sparrow hawk.

Don't get me wrong I shoot a lot of magpies and crows but my point was there are other predators that do more damage to wildlife.

Dont forget the raptor takes all birds thats the way nature made them it allso takes its fair share of Magpies Crows and lots of other corvids of corse there wasent phesants and the likes untill humans wanted to shoot them for sport in this country now we complain that they do what they was made for

Edited by Rim Fire

I still don't understand the "hate" bit, but each to their own :)

Me neither. I think they`re fascinating birds. They are smart, resourceful and adaptable, qualities that would be admired in many other species (including our own). There was one at my local club pond that used to "mug" sea gulls mid air for the fish they`d caught. The crow would attack, get the gull to drop the fish and then snatch it up before it hit the water. Very amusing to watch.

All that being said I`ll quite happily give one a barrel or three. They`re an admirable quarry and it`s just a shame they don`t taste nice.

Me neither. I think they`re fascinating birds. They are smart, resourceful and adaptable, qualities that would be admired in many other species (including our own). There was one at my local club pond that used to "mug" sea gulls mid air for the fish they`d caught. The crow would attack, get the gull to drop the fish and then snatch it up before it hit the water. Very amusing to watch.

All that being said I`ll quite happily give one a barrel or three. They`re an admirable quarry and it`s just a shame they don`t taste nice.

Have you ever tried one? I remember an old guy who used to shoot the young rooks and bake them in a pie, never tried them myself, rooks or crows which now I come to think about it I don't no why because I have tried most things.

Anyone?

Have you ever tried one? I remember an old guy who used to shoot the young rooks and bake them in a pie, never tried them myself, rooks or crows which now I come to think about it I don't no why because I have tried most things.

Anyone?

Can`t say I have. A mate of mine says they`re not nice but I have heard the young rooks aren`t too bad.

I'm not as hungry to shoot rooks and jackdaws as I am Corbies (Carrions)

I think when you've seen the damage they do you young lambs and flipped over ewes, you do tend to get more pleasure in shooting them.

One permission I have insists I don't shoot crows of any description, leading to the carrions becoming very tame. The old lady is a tad eccentric. I comply as it is a very good pigeon farm. I have permission on the neighbouring farms and shoot the carrions when situations favour an ambush.

These are very satisfying kills, particularly this time of year.

I have Rook pie every year! It's an old tradition in our village. We go out to the Rookery early evening when the young are in the branches (branchers). They must be able to fly before we shoot them (but not to well as it makes them harder to hit :lol: )

Anyway only take enough for a pie and leave the rest half a dozen is enough, breast them out and make a pie out of them, plenty of recipes in older cookbooks.

Tastes a bit gamier than pigeon, quite a dark meat, a bit livery by taste.

I'm not as hungry to shoot rooks and jackdaws as I am Corbies (Carrions)I think when you've seen the damage they do you young lambs and flipped over ewes, you do tend to get more pleasure in shooting them.One permission I have insists I don't shoot crows of any description, leading to the carrions becoming very tame. The old lady is a tad eccentric. I comply as it is a very good pigeon farm. I have permission on the neighbouring farms and shoot the carrions when situations favour an ambush.These are very satisfying kills, particularly this time of year.

I had one where they did not want me to shoot rooks only the crows. I find it nigh impossible to tell the difference till they were dead on the ground. I spoke to the Agronomist and he had a word and now I shoot all the black stuff except raven of course.

The forbids need to be culled regular to check the populations. In the north east the explosion in numbers over the last decade is very noticeable.

Any stand of trees will have a large rookery. Lots of the farms won't let you shoot the even though they can see them in their trees,can never work farmers out.

The forbids need to be culled regular to check the populations. In the north east the explosion in numbers over the last decade is very noticeable.

Any stand of trees will have a large rookery. Lots of the farms won't let you shoot the even though they can see them in their trees,can never work farmers out.

we got one farm that don't want the rooks and like shot because he says the rooks and crows eat all the leather jackets in the grass as he is a dairy farmer and no sheep to be seen they are not doing any harm to him he says they are doing good