Gun Mount and handling for a side by side

Wingman

Hi all

Trying to use my side by side more these days as my main pigeon gun and so far my kill rate has dropped off badly (1 for about 9 last Sunday). Seeing as I have been shooting OU and autos for the last 25 years I am guessing my technique is wrong. My gun is an English style sxs with straight stock double trigger and splinter foreend. I have searched the net and not really found much info so wondered if anyone can recommend a good site or source of info that may give some pointers. Or better still if anyone can offer any advice that would be really appreciated!

Hi all

Trying to use my side by side more these days as my main pigeon gun and so far my kill rate has dropped off badly (1 for about 9 last Sunday). Seeing as I have been shooting OU and autos for the last 25 years I am guessing my technique is wrong. My gun is an English style sxs with straight stock double trigger and splinter foreend. I have searched the net and not really found much info so wondered if anyone can recommend a good site or source of info that may give some pointers. Or better still if anyone can offer any advice that would be really appreciated!

hello, before the advent of O/Us becoming popular most i knew and my self used S/S and a much favoured book was the art of good shooting by major ruffer as was pigeon shooting by archie coats,

I find i get one better with my old sxs but it kicks like a mule that is part of the reason that i just picked one up that fits a bit better. I find the sxs shoots a lot flatter that my o/u or semi auto so it does take a bit of effort to make sure i mount the guns properly because there is a little difference between them.

One day I will have all my guns fitted properly :)

I find i get one better with my old sxs but it kicks like a mule that is part of the reason that i just picked one up that fits a bit better. I find the sxs shoots a lot flatter that my o/u or semi auto so it does take a bit of effort to make sure i mount the guns properly because there is a little difference between them.

One day I will have all my guns fitted properly :)

I agree about getting on with it I use mine over my M2 which has only come out twice for pigeon. May sell it to be honest for a better SxS.

The average SbS handle and fits differently to an OU.

If your near me drop me a line and I'll happily have a look to see if you SbS fits etc and if we've both got time shoot a few clays see what's happening

That seems like a good offer..........and good advice......a SBS does handle and "feel" different to an O/U..... If you check and it fits properly and you use it exclusively for a while to get used to it, you will shoot live quarry as well with it, and likely better than with other guns!....and as others have said are far lighter and more comfortable to carry that O/U's

I have used SBS's for more than 50 years and shoot live quarry as well with it as many O/U users......and better than some!

To initially gain an idea of what's happening - and then go from there - a stiff piece of cardboard 3ft square is more than sufficient fixed up somehow with the centre about shoulder height will suffice as a pattern plate. As you've been pigeon shooting I assume you have got somewhere to try this. Put an aiming mark in the middle and from 16 yards have a few practice mounts so that you're coming up smoothly onto the mark without 'aiming'. When happy, fire the choke barrel anywhere but the plate and then with the same barrel shoot the plate. Note the difference between your point of aim and the pattern centre (Mean PoI). Fire a couple more shots and hopefully as an experienced shooter the now dense pattern will have the same PoI.

The theory here is based on the assumption that your eye will be one yard from the muzzle and as such an error of 1" at 16 yards will equate to 1/16" at your eye. If you're pretty much spot on left/right and up 2/3" vertically (this is designed to put the pattern centre on the target centre if this is sat on the barrel [or would be had you not given it any lead]), then it's odds on that your problem is handling. Should you be way off, then you may need the help of a fitter.

It's handy, as someone with some experience, to know what could to be the problem so you can reconcile this with what the fitter or coach is telling you.

Do you have a permission?

2 tall canes Pattern board taped or clipped to the canes and away you go.

If so could you set up your own Pattern plate, cardboard or wall paper make good enough pattern boards to see the results.

Yes I can set up a home made pattern plate as suggested. Farmer doesn't mind if it means less pigeons on his crops.

At the Mid Wales Shooting center the pattern plate is a large metal plate on a stand, and a bucket of white paint! Basically you go and paint it white, go back 25 yards, shoot it, and go back and have a look... then paint it all white again and try again :-)

Cheap, simple, efficient :-)

Hi all

Wingman,

I would guess your s/s is considerably lighter than you are used to? I chop and change between guns for the fun of it and when going to s/s for me I have to change my shot pictures;1)my s/s shoots slightly high 2) for close birds I need LESS lead than with my o/u but 40 yard stuff I need alot MORE lead. No idea of the science etc but guessing lighter gun flies up for the close stuff but has less weight for follow through on longer crossers so have to put bit more consciously myself! I also find it harder to have smooth swing with the lighter s/s.....at charity clay day last year shot my usual o/u in morning then did same course later with s/s.........basically if you want to shoot well got to really stick with 1 gun and get used to it....however that is dull!!..without a doubt though found longer stuff,especially crossers much easier to find with heavier o/u and the s/s a bigger challenge to keep gun swinging smoothly...they are very different tools and it is difficult to chop and change between the 2..my o/u throws typical 60/40 high on a plate,same load distance with my s/s more like 80/20 and good foot higher centre pattern at 25 yards.......40 yard fast crosser if say I see 6 foot with o/u need to see @ 10 foot with s/s...ie big difference.Now all this could be pony for you but gives you some idea how another shooter finds the difference..quite large for some birds!!

Guest cookoff013

usually sxs have a shorter stock, so the poi can be out, i dont get the "cos the barrels are on the side" brigade, the rib is the reference point and the barrels should merge and regulate at that.

when i bought my merkel, apart from being silly choked up, had a bad shooting sessions, i bought an extension pad and had a little session on flat away clays.

the next point of recoil and umcomfortable shooting, sxs were never ever designed to shoot 1500fps, or big loads at those speeds (and slightly slower), many a big recoil can break the swan neck stock.....

i reload a diet of 32g subsonics or thereabouts, soft comfy shooting. when i had a pheasant day, i used 32g rios and hull 30g #7. wish i used my homeloads though (but i didnt have any made up).

it would be easy to shoot 150+ a day, i`ve done it at clays.