20 mph speed limit

oowee

Just watching George Ferguson re the 20 mph speed limit throughout Bristol. He is right it does slow people down :)

If drivers obey the speed limit then it's a self fulfilling prophesy.

There are however practical difficulties in the way it has been implemented by the tree hugging, bike riding, car hating moronic jobsworths in the Council House. In addition to their illogical traffic calming measures and extending pavements into car lanes the 20 mph is a nightmare. It's not rolled out throughout the city and where it exists some arterial routes remain at 30mph with 20 mph sections. Drivers have to be pretty sure of where they are to avoid a ticket.

And George is a nightmare too. But there's insufficient space here for that topic. Most people I speak to hope the untrustworthy gitt is voted out in the forthcoming elections.

Edited by Bobba

I think George is a bit of a visionary for Bristol and making great changes that the Council was incapable of without a Mayor. Tried to get a Mayor in Bath but no go.

The 20 mph stuff can be a nightmare with the speed up and down depending on where along a route you might be. Very difficult to stick to even if you want to.

If drivers obey the speed limit then it's a self fulfilling prophesy.

There are however practical difficulties in the way it has been implemented by the tree hugging, bike riding, car hating moronic jobsworths in the Council House. In addition to their illogical traffic calming measures and extending pavements into car lanes the 20 mph is a nightmare. It's not rolled out throughout the city and where it exists some arterial routes remain at 30mph with 20 mph sections. Drivers have to be pretty sure of where they are to avoid a ticket.

And George is a nightmare too. But there's insufficient space here for that topic. Most people I speak to hope the untrustworthy gitt is voted out in the forthcoming elections.

+1 to that!

Also at the moment you are lucky to do 10mph in bristol with all the road works for the metro!! European green capital and probably the most road works in the county polluting the city..

I think George is a bit of a visionary for Bristol and making great changes that the Council was incapable of without a Mayor. Tried to get a Mayor in Bath but no go.

The 20 mph stuff can be a nightmare with the speed up and down depending on where along a route you might be. Very difficult to stick to even if you want to.

Thats because i dont think any car is geared to drive at 20... 2nd gear the car is sat at high rev, 3rd it can struggle to keep revs...

+1 to that!

Also at the moment you are lucky to do 10mph in bristol with all the road works for the metro!! European green capital and probably the most road works in the county polluting the city..

Thats because i dont think any car is geared to drive at 20... 2nd gear the car is sat at high rev, 3rd it can struggle to keep revs...

Especially if you drive a hilux.

We have the same car hating loonies in the Birmingham council house, 20mph limits and cycle lanes everywhere, they have spent many tens of thousand (if not hundreds of thousands?) of pounds of council tax payers money on numerous modern, large, secure roadside multiple bicycle parking shelters........on every occasion in the numerous times I have driven past the one outside the local station since they were erected they have been empty!.......Except once when there was one bicycle in there!

They should go back the the red flag system and the person walking in front

That is scheduled for introduction in 2018, they have window tax and hearth tax well heating tax to introduce before that, and quite right too, what right have we to burn fuel to keep warm its environmentally harmful, and there is strong evidence to support allegations that old people live longer with proper medical care and heating.

Yet they contribute nothing to the economy.

Edited by TONY R

+1. Power crazed and convinced he's right in everything. When local opinion disagrees he ignores it, because a few of his wealthy left wing friends agree with him. Hope he's out in May, though none of the alternatives inspire much confidence.

+1. Power crazed and convinced he's right in everything. When local opinion disagrees he ignores it, because a few of his wealthy left wing friends agree with him. Hope he's out in May, though none of the alternatives inspire much confidence.

Spent millions doing up southville because he owns most of it

Crook

my town center has just been made 20mph due to two young lads racing last year killed a lovely lad was also shooting lad, my town of todmorden was devastated

Unless they were racing at 30mph changing the speed limit to 20 has as much chance of avoiding an incident like that in the future as stricter gun laws have of stopping criminals using illegal guns. It is the knee jerk mentality of this country though.

Unless they were racing at 30mph changing the speed limit to 20 has as much chance of avoiding an incident like that in the future as stricter gun laws have of stopping criminals using illegal guns. It is the knee jerk mentality of this country though.

Unfortunately that is too true... My sister was in a head on collision when learning to drive 15 odd years back, she pulled out round a parked car and some idiot doing 70 in the 30 left 30ft 11's and smashed into her and my dad, luckily no one was hurt. But changing the limit to 20 would just mean that idiot was just another 10mph over the limit, wouldn't of stopped him driving at speed Edited by ShootingEgg

my town center has just been made 20mph due to two young lads racing last year killed a lovely lad was also shooting lad, my town of todmorden was devastated

LOL I drive through Tod to work. Have they invented tarmac down there or aren't you paying your taxes to calderdale. Roads are a joke its down to the iron works and cobbles

yeah there not good they have patched them up in places floods on boxing day did a lot of damage some of the shops in hebden bridge are still closed luckily where i ham in Portsmouth we don't get it

If you were to stick to the blanket 20MPH limit in Portsmouth you'd be doing about double the speed actually achievable on its incredibly overcrowded and mismanaged roads!