Young People and Car Insurance.

Fuji Shooter

Made me laugh today

My 18 year old lad is looking to change his car to a Honda Civic Type R - just rang the insurance and they told him it would be £2200. He said wow that is cheap!!

One advantage of getting old I guess, my Subaru Turbo is £112 and my Land Rover is £67.

That was with me and the wife on it and he has a years NCB in his own name,

The next thing is to get a black box monitor fitted, but I don't suppose that will suit him. If he's happy paying £2000+, then let him do it.

Edited by rjimmer

Both my girls (19 + 20), been driving just over a year. Car's Fiat 500, first year's premiums £1600 each with a black box; renewal for each after 1 year without a claim, Just over £500 each and that includes extra's like breakdown, loss of keys etc etc.

Black box is the insurance's way of knowing how the car is being driven, more importantly gives me a little peace of mind that they are driving sensibly and not endangering themselves and others.

my lad has an Honda type r he's 20 just renewed his insurance £1'800 it's a lovely car first insurance 3years ago was £2'500 so 2200 isn't to bad

I guess for an 18 year old the £2200 is not bad. It is in his name with business use declared. Interesting thing is he could reduce it to £1600 if he had a box fitted but would rather pay the £2200 to drive it properly. As someone has said, his money so crack on I guess. Just thinking back to when I was 18 my Stag cost me a lot less.

They probably know the stag would spend most of its time off the road with overheating issues

You were not wrong with that statement. I decided to put a Rover v8 in mine which went in without any issues. When I was finished I attached the bonnet and slammed it down ready for a test drive. You can probably guess the outcome and I had a Stag with a power bulge for a few months.

my lad was turned down by five insurance brokers one of them being the broker who insured him last year they just said it's a new policy they had because he was under 21 if he had poins or speeding i could of understand but his license is clean good job he has his dad to help him out

my lad was turned down by five insurance brokers one of them being the broker who insured him last year they just said it's a new policy they had because he was under 21 if he had poins or speeding i could of understand but his license is clean good job he has his dad to help him out

Funny you should say that as when he passed his test he cad a Corsa and after the 12 months was up and he had a years no claims they tried to raise it by £500.

And we wonder why some choose to drive around with no insurance.They are just taking the wee out of these young kids.About time they did away with insurance and road tax and bang it on fuel.

How can they put insurance on fuel, would everyone be paying different prices for their fuel.If not then how would it work with a 17yr old driving a Bentley or a 60yr old driving a Corsa

Or restricted bhp on cars for inexperienced drivers.

One lad I knew just passed his test, 1st car was an Impretza lol 6 weeks later wrapped it round a tree.

He went round telling us all he was going to be a careful driver, and always stick to the speed limits.