Curing Salt

ElvisThePelvis

Inspired by this section and HFW book I have successfully cured my own bacon and there really is no way back to shop bought. I have embarked upon a Proscuitto project which seems straightforward although it uses one hell of a lot of PDV Salt, in the region of 20kg, what do I do with the salt after the initial phase? I guess it can't be reused, how it is best disposed of to avoid contamination? (Although at this rate I could use it to de ice the drive)

Best thing to use is sea salt in my book - Maldon salt is great but stupidly expensive, and cooking/table salt is too strong/bitter/horrible. A tone of places will say use kosher salt, but if you can find that in the UK, you're doing really well!!

As Leeds Chimp says though, that sounds a hell of a lot of salt!!

Edited by Fatcatsplat

Hi

I bought 20kg(maybe 25) of Pdv salt from Amazon for 18 delivered, I used a lot as the box I was using is quite big. The book is River cottage handbook 13 curing and smoking.

I have only just started the prosciutto, 3 weeks in salt ( for 7kg leg) and then a year to dry.. It's seems so straight forward it's ridiculous.

Although as my friendly butcher pointed out I could buy a prosciutto from lidl and the stand for 30 (after I had paid him) making myself will be more than double..

• 3 weeks later...

my wife got me a days course at Rover cottage doing smoking and curing. The bloke who wrote the book ran the course and it was fantastic, learnt loads and would recommend...

now have some venison prosciutto, pig cheek bacon and salami hanging in my homemade curing chamber

my wife is loving it! (she is a vegetarian)