Your thoughts..

ShootingEgg

I have a friend who is a vet student. They go beating with their lab. And also pickup. Yet last night i get an instagram notification saying they mentioned me in a comment....

Turns out its a video of a domestic fox playing with a dog.. And the comment was along the lines of "they arent much different in this scenario".. Basically she doesn't like the fact I do pest control. Yet is happy enough to go on shoots and flush birds for the guns. I try to ignore it and not get into the conversation as i wont ever get my view across..

The fox in the video is one descended from the old fur farms in tge US so is very much domestic rather than wild.

Anyone else know anyone like this??

Edited by ShootingEgg

My dearest friend, of 50 years, has a den in his garden and has fed them for years. He even buys wormer from his vet to treat them!.

He hates moles with a vengeance when they dig up his lawn and has me trap them for him, yet can't come to terms with my killing so called vermin.

I've long believed that everyone is entitled to their view and that others views should be respected. It would be a boring, funny old world if we were all the same.

Is double standards isn't it, she is happy to go on a shoot where vermin will be controlled, foxes especially will be number 1 on the list for a fair bit of the year to help provide enjoyment to a few guns and maybe depending on the shoot provide a living for the keeper/owner, yet she see's your pest control as wrong where ( I assume ) you are helping safeguard livestock and some persons living.

You might be surprised that a lot of those who shoot hold foxes in much higher regard than mere vermin to be destroyed at every opportunity.

I do not see them as something to destroy at every opportunity. I control them when requested. I dont shoot anything under the "destroy at any opportunity" label

Is double standards isn't it, she is happy to go on a shoot where vermin will be controlled, foxes especially will be number 1 on the list for a fair bit of the year to help provide enjoyment to a few guns and maybe depending on the shoot provide a living for the keeper/owner, yet she see's your pest control as wrong where ( I assume ) you are helping safeguard livestock and some persons living.

Correct, I control forchicken and sheep farmers and also a few local shoots, helping the keeper.

I've no issue with people having their own opinions, and can certainly understand why the killing of any animal would appear wrong. I just don't understand why some people feel the need to impress their views onto others. That's the only problem I see with the op's post, even if it I a little odd to be righteous about a fox yet partake in a pheasant shoot.

Double standards comes to mind. I admit to having them.

I'd consider myself a country boy and nature lover but don't hesitate to pull the trigger on wildlife I consider a pest.

These could be considered "cute" by some people: Rat ( caged pet ) Rabbit ( caged pet ) Fox ( urban friend ) Grey Squirrel ( park life ) Jay ( beautiful bird ) other corvids ( black is good ).

I'd shoot to kill on sight. I've been questioned many times. Sometimes people think you are sage wise and thought it all through and sometimes the odd ***** comes along.

When I was a kid all us lads from the village worked on the local farms and went beating to earn pocket money.

We were getting ready to kill Turkeys for Christmas. We would put the birds legs in a noose and lower it into a funnel after which a bar was put on its neck and a quick stretch dispatched the bird and it was then quickly taken into the stables where the women were doing the plucking. It had to be done while the birds were warm so the feathers came out more easily.

The shoot was gathering at the same time and some of the guns had their wives with them.

The shoot captain came over and asked us to delay killing until the shoot had moved off because some of the wives were upset at the prospect of it being done in front of them.

They then went off with their husbands to shoot Pheasants.

Nowt so funny as folk ???

We weren't best pleased as we were paid per bird.