FAC form - Calibre and type question.

Thanks Stoney, what about the type? Any idea what they are asking for here?

Type could be ,bolt action/single shot or , semi automatic/self loading.

With the .22lr you have a choice ,with the .17 it will be bolt action or straight pull ie.single shot only.

If you just put .17 on the app ,you are going to get a query about which type before the app continues.

If you want .17 hmr ,put .17 hmr on the app.

As for ammunition quantity,put something like 2000 rnds of .22 and 1000 .17 .

I originally put 22RF down rather than 22LR and got it, so in theory I could have bought a 22WMR. Can't hurt to try.

For the 17HMR if you just put 17 down, the FEO is going to want you to clarify.

You can put down as much ammo as you like on the application, but I would imagine he will change it to something like 5-600 rounds of .22 and half that of .17 unless you are an avid target shooter and get through loads of it.

Type could be ,bolt action/single shot or , semi automatic/self loading.

With the .22lr you have a choice ,with the .17 it will be bolt action or straight pull ie.single shot only.

If you just put .17 on the app ,you are going to get a query about which type before the app continues.

If you want .17 hmr ,put .17 hmr on the app.

As for ammunition quantity,put something like 2000 rnds of .22 and 1000 .17 .

There is no need to specify bolt action, straight pull, semi-auto, or any other type. Just 'rifle'

What next, falling block ? Martini ? Repeating ?

There is no need to specify bolt action, straight pull, semi-auto, or any other type. Just 'rifle'

What next, falling block ? Martini ? Repeating ?

It doesnt hurt to specify whether you are looking to possess semi auto or single shot,most of the time it comes back saying just- .22 lr rifle.

I know it sounds like giving in to the licensing powers that be,but does it matter that much ?

It will say on the cert (when it goes off for variation / renewal ect) when it comes back ,whether its single shot or semi.

And as far as specifying things like falling block,martini action ect ,most FEOs wouldnt know what they are anyway !

Edited by Rewulf

I only originally put rifle and so did everyone I know. If the FEO wants to know he'll ask. I don't see the point in tying yourself down to one specific type of gun if you don't have to.

Exactly.

Quite why anyone would put down the action is beyond me. The form asks for the type, meaning pistol, LBR, rifle, shotgun, muzzle loader, etc, not the action type.

Those who have a FAC should look at the firearms listed on their certificates where they will clearly see listed under type the following.... rifle or shotgun or whatever else they have.

The Guidance makes no reference to any requirement to put action type on a application.

10.8 Applicants are required to enter the calibre and type of firearm(s) and ammunition to be purchased or acquired. The information will normally need to be specific and not cover a range of calibres or a generic group such as .22 CF (centrefire). Form 201 does not require the serial number to be given of the firearm(s) that the applicant wishes to purchase or acquire, as this information is not normally available. There is an exception to this: applicants may include, where available, the identification number of a handgun being acquired under section 7(1) or section 7(3) of the 1997 Act. Normally, the identification number or other identifying mark will be entered by the transferor in Table One at the back of the firearm certificate.