Diabetic condition

We recently held a clay shoot and I was asked if I knew anything about a person with Diabetes and could he still hold his shotgun certificate when it was up for renewal.

He would of course HAVE TO inform the Police firearms unit of his condition..TYPE 2 DIABETES with his tablet taken.Can anyone help here with a yes or no?

and I will pass it on

Hes a good sort and we would not wish to loose him.... respond please help....THANX.

Edited by clay shooter

Course he can, hell I have type one diabetes and I checked as I am going to be applying for my cert and my FAC as well, I was told that as long as my diabetes is well controlled, I get hypo warning signs and do not flop about like a landed haddock with a loaded gun no problem! So have a word with the FEO, Diabetes does not have to be life ending!

Edited by secretagentmole

I am type 2, only problems I had was having to pay for a doctors report and then having to explain what the doc had put in the report about me having a hypo. Once that was done no problem getting a renewal.

When I first applied for a sgc I had a shopping list of illnesses declared, just a question of explaining at the interview the medical history.

We recently held a clay shoot and I was asked if I knew anything about a person with Diabetes and could he still hold his shotgun certificate when it was up for renewal.

He would of course HAVE TO inform the Police firearms unit of his condition..TYPE 2 DIABETES with his tablet taken.Can anyone help here with a yes or no?

and I will pass it on

Hes a good sort and we would not wish to loose him.... respond please help....THANX.

I'm type two , just put it on the forms and everything will be fine , I'm waiting for 243 permission to land on the doorstep

Same ... Same. For anyone interested I have been reading a very good book by Dr Michael Mosley Titled...... the 8-week blood sugar diet .... £8+ at WH Smiths £4+ on line its certainly helping me, and I have lost .. one and a half stone in weight.

That's great news. The mrs bought it for us and she has lost nealy a stone so far. My problem is travelling and living out of hotels.

12v coolbox if you are in a car .Blue frozen pack or frozen bottle of water will last all day in a coolbag.

I'm sure you can find a way round it if you want to.

My mate has just had some of his toes removed and has become impotent at 49 years old.

8 weeks on a ultra low calorie diet seems a small price to pay if it works.

Agree Daveyboy, It's me that needs to change. I can't defend it. It's calories in, calories out.

Hope your mate is recovering as well as can be expected. I'm not at that stage yet but turning 50 this year so i need to change sooner rather than late.

The latest thinking is if you go on a ultra low cal diet (as above) for 8 weeks you can cure type 2 in 90% of cases.

It has something to do with your body using the fat around your organs first.

This shocks the pancreas into producing insulin again.

No one has been cured of diabetes by this diet it just reverses the Symptoms whilst on the diet .You Can not live on 600 calories a day for life if you don't have carbs and suger you don't need insulin that's how it works .as soon as some one eats normally everything reverts back. Edited by deershooter

I have type 2 for about a year now, i gave up al the carbs straight away (bread , pasta, potatoes,beer and all the sugars) and i lost 2.5 stones in 2 months and my sugar levels are normal and never took any medication.

I live on a low carbs-high fat diet and i feel better than ever.

i think there are a list of relevant conditions you have to write down at aplication/renewal and diabetis is not amongst them

No one has been cured of diabetes by this diet it just reverses the Symptoms whilst on the diet .You Can not live on 600 calories a day for life if you don't have carbs and suger you don't need insulin that's how it works .as soon as some one eats normally everything reverts back.

I went on this diet 4 years ago through a private clinic and although I have put some weight back on my sugar levels have remained

normal.(from being borderline Diabetic)

The latest thinking is if you go on a ultra low cal diet (as above) for 8 weeks you can cure type 2 in 90% of cases.

Total tosh I am afraid in all but unusual cases

I have type 2 34" waist and 47" chest 6 ft tall and 14 stone

Early days I went mental with diets and exercise - made no difference

A lot of type 2 is somehow the blood resists insulin it's not type 2 if you produce enough insulin.

The drugs I take suppress appitite and allow my natural insulin to release sugars to be burnt in the regular way

Hypo is as likely in type 2 as a non diabetic

Sugars in the blood being too high for too long is type 2 and it's called the silent killer because this damages the organs

Total tosh I am afraid in all but unusual cases

I have type 2 34" waist and 47" chest 6 ft tall and 14 stone

Early days I went mental with diets and exercise - made no difference

A lot of type 2 is somehow the blood resists insulin it's not type 2 if you produce enough insulin.

The drugs I take suppress appitite and allow my natural insulin to release sugars to be burnt in the regular way

Hypo is as likely in type 2 as a non diabetic

Sugars in the blood being too high for too long is type 2 and it's called the silent killer because this damages the organs