17hmr for fox????

Phil9

Here we go again. In short, I would not want to be shot with a 17hmr at 100 yards. Of course you don't, in the right hands it will kill you

It will kill a fox with the right placement and at the right distance, So its fine, whoever says my .308 kills deer with the right shot placement and at the right distance,

but it is not a dedicated fox round, why not, I shoot loads close in back gardens, I use rimfires almost exclusively here, and most commonly the HMR, so why isn't it a dedicated fox round, what do you want me to use for a fox 6-20yards away, in a terrace street back garden, my .308!

Use every calibre within its capabilities and that of the user and ammunition.

:good:

Edited by Dekers

The thing to avoid are 'shoulder' shots. You won't make it through the foreleg bone to reach the heart with a .22RF or a HMR in the same way as a .223 or whatever will. Until a few years ago people only ever shot foxes with rimfires. They are fine but shot placement and knowing where the heart is (its lower than you think) is vital. You can't rely on the explosive impact of a centrefire.

Personally unless under pretty much short range easy shots neither. 22 or. 17 hmr are sufficient to handle less than perfect placement

I have had a few splash wounds on hare head shots with hmr so on balance I feel 22 lr and 17 hmr are about level pegging on fox

.22 wmr offers a different proposition in terms of bullet, power, terminals

If your going to go out for fox take a proper tool unless it's an easy sure thing imo