unseasonal weather and duck numbers.

TONY R

I have my doubts this breeding season for resident waterfowl will be very good at all, i have been watching a few duck clutches hatch off and one by one the weather is getting them. Watched from a distance this evening as the last two of a 8 strong clutch of mallard ducklings died in the sleet, i know there is time still but can not help but feel this breeding season is not going to be a good one. .

Edited by TONY R

My son and i hope to get the mallard nesting tubes up and running on a wee loch near by, there are mallards and tufteds on the loch at the moment, but i reckon if we can put up 4 nesting tubes it should help the duck a bit, i know it wont have any effect till next nesting season though

It's the current cold,wet conditions and the consequent lack of insect matter on which newly hatched birds depend.

This is exactly right, the ducklings just do not seem to be thriving, the constant stiff cold breeze and sleet and snow just finishes them off.

Today up here as been very cold, but hope it will warm up soon and things start to get better for them there is time yet but i do not think it will be a bumper year for young ducks if we dont get some decent weather to swell the numbers.

As already stated above Mallard will nest most months of the year , these early broods are alright if conditions are in there favour , if they start losing the young through adverse weather conditions it is better in a way to lose them all rather than be left with the odd one or two .

If they lose the whole brood they will start all over again , where as if only the odd one survive they will look after that until they can fend for themselves , the later broods stand more chance of survival with the weather and insect life to reach adult hood but the down side is they will be at a late flapping stage when the wildfowling season start .

My son and i hope to get the mallard nesting tubes up and running on a wee loch near by, there are mallards and tufteds on the loch at the moment, but i reckon if we can put up 4 nesting tubes it should help the duck a bit, i know it wont have any effect till next nesting season though

In general tunnels work second season not first

After and I think it's ducklings hatched in them it changes

Yet again its not looking good for early broods of mallard in North Norfolk. For the second year we are having a very cold spring, insect food is very scarce and most broods seem to have dwindled to an odd duckling or two if any at all. I have not seen any well grown ducklings and its very noticable that a lot of pairs are reforming after the females have lost their first brood. Plenty of time for the ducks to relay though. The shovellers and gadwall have only just gone down on eggs this week. Not seen any goslings yet , but they cant be far away.

Total lack of duckling food down at our ponds

If bad weather don't kill them I am sure the lack of sustenance will

Things like this show us how much damage will be done by climate change far quicker than we think

Total lack of duckling food down at our ponds

If bad weather don't kill them I am sure the lack of sustenance will

Things like this show us how much damage will be done by climate change far quicker than we think

Weathers looking up now, next clutches should do a lot better. May be me being a sceptic but would not be at all suprised if it did not rain heavy on and off for weeks starting any day now. :lol: I relly do hope it stays nice, bout time we had some decent weather. :rolleyes:

As I was wandering around the margins of my pond today, throwing a few handfuls of barley down, a duck flew out to my right through the ryelock and a clutch of about 12 ducklings took off chirping across the pond. Unfortunately the duck seemed to injure herself on the fence and ran around the field for 30 seconds or so, struggling to get off the ground, before seemingly recovering and flying back over the fence onto the water.

I hope she's ok. I wonder if anybody has any thoughts on carrying on going down to feed the pond while the ducklings are there - should I be leaving it undisturbed?

I'm only feeding it at the moment because it was dug at the beginning of October and I would like to get a good head of ducks visiting regularly before winter rolls round again and the fields start flooding, offering other inviting places for them to feed.

I would also like to know what the consensus is on geese on flighting ponds. There are usually a couple of Canadas on mine which hang around when I'm feeding. Is there a possibility they could hoover up all the barley before any ducks flight in at dusk?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

It sounds like the duck was faking it to draw your attentions to her as an easy meal instead of her ducklings

They are very convincing at it

The duckling won't be eating the barely and the mum should find food aplenty if it's a well matured pond