One of those silly things you do.

secretagentmole

I am a mod on an Airgun Facebook page. Someone posted that they had a sub 12 air rifle to swap for a half decent scope. I had a Hawke MAP Pro reticle 3-9x50 AO scope on the 60S. So I suggested a swap. Then she who must be obeyed said that she wanted to keep the scope as she was thinking of getting a PCP rifle.

However she suggested buying a new scope for the person with the rifle so I asked him what he wanted. He said he wanted at least a 40mm objective that was adjustable, plus an illuminated reticle. Seemed fair so I called in at the RFD to see what he had. My local one had nothing so we went to Fenland Rural Sports to have a shop through the wall of scopes. There we found a Nikko Stirling Gameking, 4-16x50 AO IR, the price £77. We checked with the rifle owner. That was ideal for him, so we paid up!

The round trip to Fenland was 80 miles so we were a couple of gallons of fuel down. We arranged to swap parcels by courier so after parcelling up, waiting and sending, today my parcel arrived in the post. Because we went out of our way to get him a new scope, the seller put in a gun bag and a tin of Weihrauch FT pellets. We got a rifle, gun bag, scope mounts and scope, for £95 including carriage and fuel.

The rifle? A Hatsan 900 breaker, that the seller assures us has had less than 5 pellets through it. Looking at the wear on the gun, I believe him. The scope and mounts he got in a package with the gun, it is an SMK 3-9x50 mildot, with SMK mounts, so that is going to get upgraded, I want to get a nice Hawke 3-9x40 AO mildot. We got a Buffalo River gun bag and a new tin of Weihrauch FT. So everybody happy and now the wife has spoken and proclaimed the rifle to be hers! She likes .177 spring powered rifles, so she has a gun again!

Edited by secretagentmole

Thought you did, made me wonder when you say it cost you £95 for a used one. Still worth the brownie points of your Mrs.

When your post said silly things we do that was what I thought you were going to say in a later post :lol: £69.00 new at Country way gun shop :good:

Evo will crack a rib when he reads this, thought he would have picked up on it.

Do you fancy another one to make a pair ill do you a deal for £95.00 choice of calaber too.

Edited by figgy

Thought you did, made me wonder when you say it cost you £95 for a used one. Still worth the brownie points of your Mrs.

When your post said silly things we do that was what I thought you were going to say in a later post :lol: £69.00 new at Country way gun shop :good:

Evo will crack a rib when he reads this, thought he would have picked up on it.

Do you fancy another one to make a pair ill do you a deal for £95.00 choice of calaber too.

£95 was for the scope, diesel and courier fees. We got a gun, scope, mount, pellets and gun bag for that £95, he has hardly used the gun. he fired it 5 times at most, so basically new gun, scope, bag etc £95. It has been annexed, but I get to use it sometimes

Mole are you not singing the praises of your HW Air Rifle? Been busy with a fine file deburring the sharp bits.

Nah I had the 95 done by an RFD who installed a Vortek kit on it. He also did my 77 and said that the difference in quality between the Mk 1 77 and the 2015 HW95 was incredible. The 77 was running on original everything and struggling to make the 10 ft lb mark, so I bought a kit for it as a reward so to speak, it was a nice gun before but much nicer after, the internals were smooth, properly finished, the spring was also properly finished, with a collapsed end that was flat. The 95 was a necessity as basically the spring was eating the internals, it was finished with a corkscrew being the main objective I think. The sharp ends were gouging the internals and there was no flat on it, just a sharp end that appeared to be cut with an angle grinder. The internal edges were sharp, so bad that the main seal was being gouged. Luckily there was a one in the kit.

Add to that the stock saga on the 100 and I can see why people say that HW quality is going downhill faster than a runaway gravel truck!

That gun is not scrap metal, far from it, damned accurate! You stick to your burr filled HWs...

I don't know what the current models are like. I got mine about a year after they were introduced and I can't see anything that Hatsan throw together approach the build quality. Now that you've got a decent rifle perhaps your collection of Turkish ironmongery will feature less and less in your shooting.

mole ,,, you do cease to amaze me sometimes,

you have slated HW,s for as long as I can remember ,,,,,then you buy a new Hw100 ?????????

is it me or am I missing something ???

cant believe you paid £95 for a £69 gun though :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know what the current models are like. I got mine about a year after they were introduced and I can't see anything that Hatsan throw together approach the build quality. Now that you've got a decent rifle perhaps your collection of Turkish ironmongery will feature less and less in your shooting.

Quality levels at Weihrauch have been put in the hands of the accountants it seems, which is a bad thing in any industry! Modern ones are not built the same as the old ones. Weihrauch used to be the Rolls Royce of air rifles, these days they seem to be Allegros! For a small price though these issues could be fixed, which is so damned annoying.

You have to consider that to save money on the new gun they have used a rubberised paint so they can use cheaper wood. This on a gun that is only £50-100 less than the top of the range gun?

mole ,,, you do cease to amaze me sometimes,

you have slated HW,s for as long as I can remember ,,,,,then you buy a new Hw100 ???? ?????

is it me or am I missing something ???

cant believe you paid £95 for a £69 gun though :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

Simple, the £69 is available at two dealers, both of which are over 100 miles from my house, so that is a lot more in time and fuel money. Then I have to add on the cost of a decent Buffalo River gun bag, the SMK (£30 for it? Really, I would not pay £30 for it but it is from JS Ramsbottoms) scope and mounts (which must be oh goodness £5.49) and the pellets (which are probably worth more than the scope). I am happy with what I paid!

BSA I have fallen greatly out of love with, due to recurring problems with the R10 regulator which are still happening. Daystate I would have been looking at the Huntsman Regal for more money for a start and even worse reliability second. Air Arms realistically at the same price I would have been at an S410 and they have barrels that are so easily knocked out of alignment that I would not be happy and having been on the receiving end of less than ideal customer service with one of their PCPs already I am not tempting fate.

Which really left Weihrauch in the upper league and seeing as I never had a problem with the 100 and the only time I had a problem they gave me a replacement blanking plug for free, I decided to buy one. And promptly encountered a problem with it. Says it all really! I will state again though that the action was damned superb, just the stock should never have left the factory and HC customer service need to realise when someone is trying to save them money and work with them rather than against them! Just put it down to the triumph of hope over experience!

Guns are worth to some one what they are prepared to pay. Either way it's just a few quid. I recently bought a hilux and recognising I had bought a bag of carp I traded at a big loss (ouch ouch ouch) four weeks later. Life's too short to spend time p.......g about get on and enjoy it if you can. Whilst some can spend days thinking and waiting others are out shooting. :-)

Quality levels at Weihrauch have been put in the hands of the accountants it seems, which is a bad thing in any industry! Modern ones are not built the same as the old ones. Weihrauch used to be the Rolls Royce of air rifles, these days they seem to be Allegros! For a small price though these issues could be fixed, which is so damned annoying.

You have to consider that to save money on the new gun they have used a rubberised paint so they can use cheaper wood. This on a gun that is only £50-100 less than the top of the range gun?

That's a shame. As you say Weihrauch used to be the make we all aspired to. To be honest I wasn't happy with the HW100, but for the wrong reason. It made hunting seem too easy. Almost like cheating. Perfect delivery every time and the side lever loading made it a doddle to use. I was sitting under a tree canopy waiting for a squirrel to come to the stream for a drink. Two crows flew in and settled right above my head. I got one off the roost and the other before it had risen a foot off it. I can't think of any other air rifle that would allow me to do that.

Before I came out to France I swapped it for a Prosport and had a VMach kit installed. The reasoning was that I wouldn't easily be able to obtain compressed air out here so a springer would be more useful. I've since fiddled with it and fitted a more powerful spring as the original spring was lost during transit (I'd sent the spring on by post so the rifle could safely be carried deactivated). The replacement spring is a cheapy that needed cutting down and filing smooth. I only put it back together last month after four years of sitting without a spring in it and fitted a new scope I'd bought in the UK last November. Today I got around to using it in the garden on a measured 30 metre target. After a few shots to loosen it up I took another ten to get the scope something near and then the next five..........

2016-05-012016.45.39_zpslscgo4kw.jpg

Edited by UKPoacher

"" Two crows flew in and settled right above my head. I got one off the roost and the other before it had risen a foot off it. I can't think of any other air rifle that would allow me to do that. """

Curious to know what aspect of the HW 100 would allow you to do what you did .. that an Air Arms s500 wouldn't or indeed a dozen other pcp's ... only asking caused l can't work out what it might be !

"" Two crows flew in and settled right above my head. I got one off the roost and the other before it had risen a foot off it. I can't think of any other air rifle that would allow me to do that. """

Curious to know what aspect of the HW 100 would allow you to do what you did .. that an Air Arms s500 wouldn't or indeed a dozen other pcp's ... only asking caused l can't work out what it might be !

I tried quite a few air rifles in the dealers before buying the HW100. I found that was the quickest and easiest to recycle while still mounted if that makes sense? Keep you eye on the ball while reloading.

Going back to the Prosport, I decided to replace the cheapo spring, an Air Force I seem to recall and reduce the power it to try and get the groups better. Using a rest I've got them down to around a penny size, but there is still room for improvement. There is too much kick from the 14 ft lb spring. There is a Polish firm offering tuning kits for €27. They include a 27 coil spring, Tecaform spring guide andtop hat and also various washers to shim up the spring to adjust the power from 15 to 19 joules (11 ft lb - 14 ft lb). I used to have it at around 10.5 ft lb and it was much sweeter to fire.

http://www.konceptus.pl/