What air rifle for 10 year old ?

dhumble5

Hw35!! Or a hw30

The Hw35 is a good choice, my dad has one in .22 calibre and when teaching my son the basics (aged 7 or 8 at the time) we decided to have a 5 shot each competition. Low and behold he won fair and square and taught me something! :lol:

Meteor. Cheap 2nd hand, easy to tune, easy to shoot. The older Mk 1 & 2s have true .22 barrels though. If it has conventional scope rails buy it, as it is Mk 3 onwards. Brilliant ergonomics, light, tough and simple to use with no pump/tank. I bought the lad for one his 10th, he is soon 12, and he has now got a collection from Mk 1 to 5 (the original designs). He has learnt to shoot them inside out. When the weather was poor we spent a fair few hours tuning them and experimenting with piston weights, spring pre-load etc. They can be a really good grounding in riflemanship.

A PCP spoils kids for centre fires and allows poor technique I think.

Edited by Wharf Rat

Hopefully I will just be stating the obvious but no-one has mentioned it yet........Make sure you understand the law in relation to air rifles & under 18's

In a nutshell, you cant gift him an air rifle - it would have to be held by an adult and only used when supervised by someone over 21yrs on land with permission. It must always be kept secure to prevent him getting his hands on it unsupervised.

CLICK

:good:

Had these been followed, I wonder if that poor lad in Suffolk would still be alive?

For PCP the AAs200 or a brocock would be my bet - or one of the lighter springers. HW 35 or perhaps even the 95k?

Hopefully I will just be stating the obvious but no-one has mentioned it yet........Make sure you understand the law in relation to air rifles & under 18's

In a nutshell, you cant gift him an air rifle - it would have to be held by an adult and only used when supervised by someone over 21yrs on land with permission. It must always be kept secure to prevent him getting his hands on it unsupervised.

CLICK

:good:

Depends on the stature of the kid

I really did start with a hw35 but for most kids this is way too big and heavy

The s200 was immensely popular for a kids ft gun when I competed

My ten year old is of course to young to have a gun by law or to use one unsupervised but she gets to shoot alsorts that she doesn't own under close supervision

The law makes it easier for a kid to have a shotgun but there you go such is modern life