working in nice places

davewh100

I'm a service engineer installing & serving one to four group commercial coffee machines so i get all over the country most of my work is in the south or in large city's,so when i saw my work schedule for last week for conway in a little town called betws y coed absolutely stunning will go back for short break with wife and dog, and then last friday whitby one of my favourite places made a lovely change

Betws-y-Coed is very nice.

+1 :good: it gets a bit too touristy in the season unfortunately, like all these places, better to go just off the peak times. I love the hikers in full gear, gaiters, sticks, the lot, who never venture further than the gift shop and the tea rooms.

Lovely part of the world

Edited by Vince Green

After retiring and moving to France I accidentally became a mole trapper. As a result I get to drive through some beautiful countryside and villages while travelling to my jobs. A lot of my jobs are holiday homes, some of them very grand, châteaus too and quite often I work there when the places are empty. I get more use out of their gardens than they do. The other good thing is that I get chance to reccy fishing spots and places to go off in the camping car for weekends away.

Best job I've ever had :)

Work has taken me to some wonderful places. If it hadn't been for work I possibly wouldn't have visited East Lothian, but having worked in places such as Gullane, Haddington, Musselburgh, Tranent and Dunbar we took our young kids there on several occasions as kids, and usually made a point of going when the Edinburgh 'Fringe' was ongoing and the Gannetts were on Bass Rock. They loved it.

With work I visited the Isle of Man during TT practise week, and ate out in some wonderful restaurants in Peel, and on one occasion got falling down drunk in its bars, and we could watch Basking Sharks from our hotel window each morning at breakfast and while staying for a night at the Glenn Helen Hotel we were locked inside the course and sat on the banking outside the hotel and watched the bikes and sidecars practise.

We worked in Bramhall and Bolton, and Abergonalwyn (spelling) where when it wasn't a severe frost it was raining; we never saw the sun all day but got well fed staying at the clients house and drank wine into the early hours and just got back home before the onset of trenchfoot.

Colmonell was a real one horse town, where we slept four to a room and the landlady of the local hotel fed us beans on toast for our evening meal and we were left to our own devices for breakfast.

Durnamuck on the shore of Little Loch Broom was a stark expanse of bitterly hard frosts and short days in the dead of winter, where we had to drive slowly along the loch roads each morning to avoid the red deer picking salt from the roads in the mist, and when it lifted we could see seals swimming hopefully around the salmon pens each day. I was the only one with a bath in my room and would fill it brim full each evening before tea and soak in there for ages. As there was nowhere else to go we drank them out of draught lager on the first night and bitter on the second, and spent the next few days finishing off the bottles, and the cook would see us off each morning with thick porridge with cream followed by a full Scottish breakfast plus a packed lunch, the vast majority of which came back with us as we simply weren't that hungry after the breakfast.

Just last week we erected a house very locally to us on the slopes of Stainmore, with stunning views down the Eden Valley and horizontal sleet which left us with four inches of snow, followed by rain which turned it all to slush and then high winds which cut last Friday short as it was too dangerous for the crane to operate.

Back home we have worked frequently in some stunning locations in the Lakes, and are just about to start on a Passive Haus for a client in Findhorn. Have never been so am looking froward to it.

One of the things I found in my working life was how lovely a lot of places I thought of as grim industrial Northern (or Welsh) towns really were and how dull a lot of places I thought of as nice seaside resorts turned out to be.

Edited by Vince Green

One of the most depressing places work took me to was a former mining village - Ponty Cwmmer?? God I would have become suicidal had I had to work the.

That would be Pontypandy, something burns down there every week. Terrible place to live your house insurance would be sky high.

Seriously, if you had to work in some of those old mining villages you wouldn't need to commit suicide. The job would kill you.

Edited by Vince Green

Work has taken me to some wonderful places. If it hadn't been for work I possibly wouldn't have visited East Lothian, but having worked in places such as Gullane, Haddington, Musselburgh, Tranent and Dunbar we took our young kids there on several occasions as kids, and usually made a point of going when the Edinburgh 'Fringe' was ongoing and the Gannetts were on Bass Rock. They loved it.

With work I visited the Isle of Man during TT practise week, and ate out in some wonderful restaurants in Peel, and on one occasion got falling down drunk in its bars, and we could watch Basking Sharks from our hotel window each morning at breakfast and while staying for a night at the Glenn Helen Hotel we were locked inside the course and sat on the banking outside the hotel and watched the bikes and sidecars practise.

We worked in Bramhall and Bolton, and Abergonalwyn (spelling) where when it wasn't a severe frost it was raining; we never saw the sun all day but got well fed staying at the clients house and drank wine into the early hours and just got back home before the onset of trenchfoot.

Colmonell was a real one horse town, where we slept four to a room and the landlady of the local hotel fed us beans on toast for our evening meal and we were left to our own devices for breakfast.

Durnamuck on the shore of Little Loch Broom was a stark expanse of bitterly hard frosts and short days in the dead of winter, where we had to drive slowly along the loch roads each morning to avoid the red deer picking salt from the roads in the mist, and when it lifted we could see seals swimming hopefully around the salmon pens each day. I was the only one with a bath in my room and would fill it brim full each evening before tea and soak in there for ages. As there was nowhere else to go we drank them out of draught lager on the first night and bitter on the second, and spent the next few days finishing off the bottles, and the cook would see us off each morning with thick porridge with cream followed by a full Scottish breakfast plus a packed lunch, the vast majority of which came back with us as we simply weren't that hungry after the breakfast.

Just last week we erected a house very locally to us on the slopes of Stainmore, with stunning views down the Eden Valley and horizontal sleet which left us with four inches of snow, followed by rain which turned it all to slush and then high winds which cut last Friday short as it was too dangerous for the crane to operate.

Back home we have worked frequently in some stunning locations in the Lakes, and are just about to start on a Passive Haus for a client in Findhorn. Have never been so am looking froward to it.

Findhorn Bay one of the most beautiful coastal areas in Scotland, hope you enjoy. If I recall correctly the Crown and Anchor provides superb food- but that was 10 years ago. Enjoy.

Blackpowder