Help with ex layers

Hi

This will be the first season releasing pheasants, we are planning to release 80 in partridge pens, I know people say there's no point in releasing that many but

A.) we don't shoot many only a couple of brace a day

B.) we have neighbours that release birds and don't want to be seen as poaching there's

I was wandering if anyone could give me any tips eg

Feed (in the pen and out)

Will I need grit

Size of pen and how many will fit in

Best time of year to release

Thanks for any advice

Using only one pen saves having multipul drinkers, fox wire etc also it saves labour going round different pens. I would stick them all in one pen. Bigger is always better so make it as big as you can.

We use minola (top hat type) feeders both in and around the pen plus a few Spring feeders.

Ex-layers get bad press from some for wandering off (guess it depends on your ground & cover) so maybe look at adding something to the feed to help hold them. We mix split corn in with our wheat or maybe try aniseed.

Ask you game farmer for a bag of medicated pellets and start them off on that when they first go in the pen so you know they have been treated for worms.

Use grit in and outside the pen. I also like to add a poultry tonic to the water. Not sure if it really works but for a few pounds it may help them recover from the stress of moving.

Watch out for feather pecking and pray.

Good luck.

Regarding best time to release. We can never collect ours before the beginning of June and keep them in our pen ( which is about 100x50 metres ) until they feather up again and have taken to roosting in the trees, usually around three or four weeks. We then open pop holes and they wander in and out at will.