Bloody Rude

TIGHTCHOKE

When this as happened to me I go and have words and tell them they are setting up on my flight line, if I get no joy I pack the gear away fill my cartridge bag, walk further down the hedgerow well away from them and fire at every pigeon that comes up the hedgerow, now I know two wrongs don't make it right but it made me feel a little better.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to get slammed for this but here goes anyway :/

A lot of this kind of thing is down to greed!! If they have permission on the field, who are you to say they shouldn't shoot on the same day as you? It may be the only day they have that week to go and the only permission they have.

I have seen members on here stating they can only get on areas once a month as they have so much land to shoot.

There are many that would be grateful for a couple of acres, but all the 'old hands' have all the land tied up, whether they can get round to shoot it or not.

I have this near me, I got rid of my shotguns because land near me is impossible to get on.

Shooters love saying that the anti's will be the death of the sport, but I think it will boil down to lack of sharing with other shooters.

If you have loads of land and can't shoot it effectively, then for the good of the farmers (who everyone claims are holy), you should give some up to someone who can shoot it regularly (helping the holy farmers more than someone who can only turn up once a month!!).

If you are not willing to give up a bit of land you can't service to others due to shooting elsewhere, then you are neither helping the shooting community or the farmers that have given you permission to be there and fail in what is required of you :no:

Edited by 955i

I hope you feel better having got taken out your frustration on the keyboard.

JDog has been very restrained about a little incident we had last week, suffice to say it wasn't on your scale but equally annoying.

I have a couple of retired chaps on land I shoot, and they can be out any day they like. No problem with that, I wish I was able to do that, but sadly they lack the nous to judge the situations where pigeons are and when to shoot. If they find some, they will visit the same spot every few days and shoot a few, but never very many. Obviously great for the farmer but not great for anyone else as the pigeons are jumpy to say the least.

I have tried to get them onside and we do get on fairly well, however, they won't refrain if they find a few pigeons feeding and can't resist setting up, whether or not they have been there a couple of days before.

There are a couple of pea fields on the edge of town that I know could provide some great shooting, but I can almost predict now that their truck will be parked up there every other day in the weeks to come.

The real kiss of death for me recently, was when I took JDog to a couple of hidden pea fields that I thought I was the only one who knew about them, only to meet their truck coming out of the track!

The only positive is that they will only set up where they can drive to, and they won't venture more than 20 mins from home.

Obviously great for the farmer but not great for anyone else as the pigeons are jumpy to say the least.

At the risk of getting a more substantial tin hat, surely if the pigeons are avoiding the area then the job is done?

Its about keeping them off the crops, not killing them because as far as I am aware that is how the GL works :/

Going to get slammed for this but here goes anyway :/

A lot of this kind of thing is down to greed!! If they have permission on the field, who are you to say they shouldn't shoot on the same day as you? It may be the only day they have that week to go and the only permission they have.

I have seen members on here stating they can only get on areas once a month as they have so much land to shoot.

There are many that would be grateful for a couple of acres, but all the 'old hands' have all the land tied up, whether they can get round to shoot it or not.

I have this near me, I got rid of my shotguns because land near me is impossible to get on.

Shooters love saying that the anti's will be the death of the sport, but I think it will boil down to lack of sharing with other shooters.

If you have loads of land and can't shoot it effectively, then for the good of the farmers (who everyone claims are holy), you should give some up to someone who can shoot it regularly (helping the holy farmers more than someone who can only turn up once a month!!).

If you are not willing to give up a bit of land you can't service to others due to shooting elsewhere, then you are neither helping the shooting community or the farmers that have given you permission to be there and fail in what is required of you :no:

But what about the shooter who can only shoot that day, he is setup and then some other shooter/s turn up and spoil his only day, works both ways.

Nature Boy, they must really have got to you to make you post like that.

Of course none of these miscreants are on PW.

Not really Jdog. Has been going on last few years we have been sharing same perms. got used to it and almost expect it as they been on those farms lot longer than me. Dont like new keen face. Used to be the same in fishing. Like i said try to avoid clashing with them over fields and have learnt to use where they shooting to my advantage on other fields and farms. Sorry if i went on a bit. Lol!

Don't think they on PW. And haven't said anything i haven't already said to them if they are. Didn't let it spoil my day. NB

But what about the shooter who can only shoot that day, he is setup and then some other shooter/s turn up and spoil his only day, works both ways.

I understand that, but people who share land should work it out between them, you should have contact details of anyone who shares your land and be in contact with them when you want to go out.

As stated, the prioritory stance of many to land, even when I also have permission to be there is why I have stopped shooting for now.

Maybe we should start helping each other more than being selfish about land

At the risk of getting a more substantial tin hat, surely if the pigeons are avoiding the area then the job is done?

Its about keeping them off the crops, not killing them because as far as I am aware that is how the GL works :/

No, pigeon shooting is about shooting pigeons. They will feed somewhere. Killing them is the only sure way of keeping them from feeding.

No, pigeon shooting is about shooting pigeons. They will feed somewhere. Killing them is the only sure way of keeping them from feeding.

You are wrong.

The GL states that shooting can be done when all reasonable methods have proved unsuccessful. This can include sitting in a field letting off cartridges to scare them off.

The fact is, no matter how you spin it, is that you enjoy killing them for food, fun etc.

I have no problem with that, I like to take some for the pot and will happily scare off after I have enough.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that when you kill pigeons over a field no more will come back :lol:

I understand that, but people who share land should work it out between them, you should have contact details of anyone who shares your land and be in contact with them when you want to go out.

As stated, the prioritory stance of many to land, even when I also have permission to be there is why I have stopped shooting for now.

Maybe we should start helping each other more than being selfish about land

I think the thread is about someone setup on a field, then the other shooter/s turn-up and muscle in without any thought for the shooter/s already there, its just a unwritten rule you just don't do-it

Yes I will agree that there are some selfish shooters who think they own the land and question you even if you were there first.

I think the thread is about someone setup on a field, then the other shooter/s turn-up and muscle in without any thought for the shooter/s already there, its just a unwritten rule you just don't do-it

Yes I will agree that there are some selfish shooters who think they own the land and question you even if you were there first.

I agree, but a conversation could have avoided an angry post :good:

I could feel the pain in your post, as I've stated before I'm a firm believer in Karma and you will have your day as a reward and they will get there comeuppance.

Not so much pain PC. I thought this kinda thing just happens to most of us? Up shot/good Karma was. i have farm that has lots of pigeon, great habitat and wildlife rich, that grows a lot of rape mainly to myself. Get invited on shoot days and given cartridges to. It's a shame as i believe in helping sharing and learning from others. I have met some great characters that have become friends through shooting. It's pest control!! We wouldn't get to shoot the places we do if we weren't useful.

ATB NB

Cripes this makes for some desperate situations. I share one farm on occasion with a rifle shooter who once lined up on my deeks (with me behind :unhappy: ) but we sorted that and all is ok.

I am Chair of Bristol 12 bore club we have 30 plus members and I also invite others to come out with me on my perms it amazes me that so many shooters can shoot so infrequently and at the same time read about the conflicts in this post. It does not make sense.

Maybe thats why I shoot mostly crows rather than pigeons unintentionally avoiding conflict. :)

Very true Sir!! Keep calm and carry on! Farmers want pigeons shot!`we do our best to shoot em!

Again you misunderstand the GL!!

Farmers want pigeons kept off crops, shooting is meant to be a last resort.

You could sit in a field letting off cartridges for a day and it would have the same effect of keeping pigeons off the field.

Waiting to be called an anti (again :oops: )

Edited by 955i

I hope you feel better having got taken out your frustration on the keyboard.

JDog has been very restrained about a little incident we had last week, suffice to say it wasn't on your scale but equally annoying.

I have a couple of retired chaps on land I shoot, and they can be out any day they like. No problem with that, I wish I was able to do that, but sadly they lack the nous to judge the situations where pigeons are and when to shoot. If they find some, they will visit the same spot every few days and shoot a few, but never very many. Obviously great for the farmer but not great for anyone else as the pigeons are jumpy to say the least.

I have tried to get them onside and we do get on fairly well, however, they won't refrain if they find a few pigeons feeding and can't resist setting up, whether or not they have been there a couple of days before.

There are a couple of pea fields on the edge of town that I know could provide some great shooting, but I can almost predict now that their truck will be parked up there every other day in the weeks to come.

The real kiss of death for me recently, was when I took JDog to a couple of hidden pea fields that I thought I was the only one who knew about them, only to meet their truck coming out of the track!

The only positive is that they will only set up where they can drive to, and they won't venture more than 20 mins from home.

Not really frustration MM. Just replying to OP and got bit carried away. Lol. Those Charactors sound exactly like the ones my way. They know best, ### the rest! NB

i had this happen once and had last laugh... one day was shooting pigeons on rape field and a landrover came hammering up headland coming to sliding stop few yards from the hide.. id left hide to see what was happening to be met by two guys in cammo ranting that i didnt have permission to shoot there and was on there land and threatening to phone law and id lose my licence ect ect, i politely told them i did and they could easily check by asking my fellow shooting mate in the hide if theyd care to take a breath ,well they didnt have to as he came storming over with face like thunder ,meet my mate i said hes the farmer ,the color sharp drained from there faces after he took off his scrim lol and blasted them for driving on conservation headland ect and told them in no uncertian terms there permission was cancelled,just shows dont go in guns blazing before youve got your facts right

You could sit in a field letting off cartridges for a day and it would have the same effect of keeping pigeons off the field.

Waiting to be called ananti (again :oops: )

I find shooting them the best way to stop them destroying crops! Dead pigeons don't move to another field or come back when we are not there! As beautiful and fascinating they may be! Isn't pest control exactly that!? Having to control the population of a common destructive agricultural pest.

Edited by NatureBoy

Waiting to be called an anti (again :oops: )

I think I can see why you struggled to get permissions ;)

Cripes this makes for some desperate situations. I share one farm on occasion with a rifle shooter who once lined up on my deeks (with me behind :unhappy: ) but we sorted that and all is ok.

I am Chair of Bristol 12 bore club we have 30 plus members and I also invite others to come out with me on my perms it amazes me that so many shooters can shoot so infrequently and at the same time read about the conflicts in this post. It does not make sense.

Maybe thats why I shoot mostly crows rather than pigeons unintentionally avoiding conflict. :)

I think it depends on what part of the country you are in. East Anglia has a lot of shoots, shooters and a huge acreage of rape and other pigeon favoured crops! Therefore at times a lot of pigeons that need controlling.

Of course it's irritating at best when you've liked up a shoot only to find someone else there, but unless there really is another spot I can set up that won't disturb their shooting (and I'd make sure to inform them first/make sure they're OK with it) I'll just leave them to it as I don't like it done to me!

On the other hand I've had other shooters get really upset that someone else as well as them has permission to shoot on the same land.....that's just one of those things I'm afraid, very few of us own land that we shoot over so have to be prepared to share on occasion (even though most serious pigeon shooters would like it to themselves, myself included)!