Bloody Rude

TIGHTCHOKE

How can I be wrong? You are clearly NOT a pigeon shooter. Dead pigeons never return to a field. Do you know anyone that gets permission to scare pigeons?

You are wrong.

The GL states that shooting can be done when all reasonable methods have proved unsuccessful. This can include sitting in a field letting off cartridges to scare them off.

The fact is, no matter how you spin it, is that you enjoy killing them for food, fun etc.

I have no problem with that, I like to take some for the pot and will happily scare off after I have enough.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that when you kill pigeons over a field no more will come back :lol:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this happen to me around 2 years ago. I was set up in the middle of a pea feild and things were going well by around midday id shot 40 when a truck turn up and two blokes started walk over to me. They said they had permission and asked how i was doing, after a chat I actually asked if they wanted to join me and build a bigger hide were i was but the reply i got was were not carrying all our gear out here weill go in the hedge. Ok fair anoth i said cant stop them. Well the day carried on and i packed up at 6 with 110 and they had 7!!! All they said to me was they really wanted to be out in the middle didn't they!! Havnt seen them since.

Never really had an issue with other shooters. Have had a couple of occasions where I have come across others shooting on a good field on a shared permission when I have struggled to find another spot, but watch to see what traffic they have and where the pigeons move on to. I just try to find another location nearby without disturbing their flightline, and where we can help each other by keeping the pigeons moving. Have a couple of old boys who I regularly see out in the summer when I am on a reccy. I'll walk over, have a chat in the hide, compare notes and discuss the options of where I could set up.

The best remedy for disrespectful shooters is to gain the trust and have a good working relationship of the farmers you shoot for. I have one farmer who forwards any requests for pigeon shooting on his land to me so I can co-ordinate what goes on. I have another, who when I checked about someone else shooting on his land he explained who it was and stated "any issue let me know and I'll remove their permission."

If the farmers value what you do for them then they should look after you in return .... so the more you put into the relationship the more you should get back..... karma again?

I fully agree with ScropshireSam ,.....

I very rarely have any problems with fellow shooters as quite a bit of land I go on I am the only one who go , if the keeper is asked by a shooter to go on a certain field he ring me first to see if I intend going on it myself before he give the person the go ahead , and that I am happy with.

On shared land if I turn up and somebody is already there ( which don't happen that often ) I leave him to it as I have got all the week and the day he is on there might be the only day of the week he can go , no way would I set up on the same field unless it was a big field where then two gun shooting can be better than one .

Unlike some places no doubt , I will stick my neck out and say we are not overrun with serious pigeon shooters .

we share some farms with others, and I do the same as most if someone is already shooting a field I leave them to it, we know a few of them and we work something out with them or they just don't mind us setting up on another field on the same farm, its better being amicable rather than at logger heads, most of the time they are not out shooting and we are and make bags on them shared farms its not ideal but I can live with it

Bottom line is don't get into any arguments over who should be shooting,i always find its best to avoid any hassle and lose one days shooting (by bugging out) than losing the perm for good :good:

I always remember I am shooting with the farmers/landowners permission,which can easily be removed :yes:BB

You are wrong.

The GL states that shooting can be done when all reasonable methods have proved unsuccessful. This can include sitting in a field letting off cartridges to scare them off.

The fact is, no matter how you spin it, is that you enjoy killing them for food, fun etc.

I have no problem with that, I like to take some for the pot and will happily scare off after I have enough.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that when you kill pigeons over a field no more will come back :lol:

So you shoot 5/10/20 or however many is enough for the pot, and then sit there scaring the rest off :hmm:

So if you have enough in the freezer and birds are still hitting the fields, you go back just to scare them off :lol:

Do me a favor!!

Edited by Cosd

Again you misunderstand the GL!!

Farmers want pigeons kept off crops, shooting is meant to be a last resort.

You could sit in a field letting off cartridges for a day and it would have the same effect of keeping pigeons off the field.

Waiting to be called an anti (again :oops: )

Never met a farmer who's begged us not to hurt a pigeon and to only use lethal methods as a last resort!

it gets funnier each post!!

Edited by Cosd

Bottom line is don't get into any arguments over who should be shooting,i always find its best to avoid any hassle and lose one days shooting (by bugging out) than losing the perm for good :good:

I always remember I am shooting with the farmers/landowners permission,which can easily be removed :yes:BB

I didn't get in to an argument, I just expected better from a fellow shooter!

Some quite unbelievable comments on this thread. Shooting pigeons as a last resort - really? Is this a pigeon shooting or a bird scaring site?

It boils down to basic good manners in my book. I hate it happening to me and have had to count to ten a few times over the years.

Worst was when I was a young un, having a good day on a pea drilling with 50+ down. Saw an unknown bloke trudging up the hedge with all his gear. Without a word, he set up 40 yards downwind of me and proceded to hog the line. Being a bit wet behind the ears then, I just let it happen. I learnt a lesson that day and vowed I would never be so ignorant to another shooter.

A pal of mine is a bit more militant. If he has someone encroach on his line, he just waits until a bird approaches their hide and lets off a shot before they can shoot. The fact he's built like a substantial brick outhouse usually negates the need for confrontation!

I find shooting them the best way to stop them destroying crops! Dead pigeons don't move to another field or come back when we are not there! As beautiful and fascinating they may be! Isn't pest control exactly that!? Having to control the population of a common destructive agricultural pest.

+1 Well said mate

Cheers mate.

Is not all bad! My comments about my negative experiences with other shooters were based on what happened over having shared the same farms with these characters for the last four years. And being out on the woodies most weekends. another time on the same farms i was watching birds on a field with a mind to setting up. when another truck rocks up and out gets a shooter i hadn't seen before. At first i thought there we go again. While we both continuing to watch the bird numbers build on the field we get chatting and do stories. Turns out he had been shooting on the farm for about the same time as me. But hardly gets on there as he lived some way off. he had been harassed by the other 2 shooters to.. Turns out he had been on a morning flight for geese on a Norfolk marsh that morning and blanked. Then drove sixty odd miles to come and shoot the farm. Keen or What! Asks if i am gona shoot the field. i said i was but as he had travelled so far i would leave him to it and shoot another field of rape with a few birds on the other side of a wood that separate the two fields. both said we would set up with our backs to the wood to help cut down on noise as there's not much wind. We exchange numbers shake hands and off i go, just finished setting up and gun loaded when bang! He's way. Loads of pigeons lift from the wood. first bird comes straight into the patten and is down. for the next 3 hrs the shooting is steady as we bounce birds between us. at first decoying really well but as we shot they became more challenging. It was a still cold winters day. At times shots sounded more like cannon fire. At 2oc it started raining hard. We got soaked and the birds disappeared. I pack up quick picking 26 soggy woodies. Pleased with that on December rape my way. Get back to the other field on my way off the farm. He's packed up to but it's raining so hard he's got his truck stuck axle deep on the track. i tow him off the track with little hassle. He's picked 42 birds and well chuffed. It's new years eve, we wish each other happy new year an go our separate ways. New friendships made!

Also had 2 dates with gals i have met in the field. Lol!

NB

How can I be wrong? You are clearly NOT a pigeon shooter. Dead pigeons never return to a field. Do you know anyone that gets permission to scare pigeons?

Tried not to reply but just can't help it :lol:

How am I not a pigeon shooter?

I have an area of land where they are happy to let me shoot during the week, but will not let me kill anything on Sunday as they are religious, but they still want me there scaring them off. They don't want me to kill everything but are happy if they are kept off the crop as they know the score.

You lot are deluded.

If your efforts REALLY stopped pigeons coming to your land you would have no shooting at all.

A dead pigeon will be replaced by a live pigeon and that is what you count on or you would have no sport.

So killing them all on one day makes no difference and you know it :yes:

You can tell your beloved farmer whatever you want, but telling him you can control the pigeons is a lie!!

Edited by 955i

I have an area of land where they are happy to let me shoot during the week, but will not let me kill anything on Sunday as they are religious, but they still want me there scaring them off. They don't want me to kill everything but are happy if they are kept off the crop as they know the score.

You lot are deluded.

It's clear who is deluded and it sure aint us. You're just making yourself look an increasingly bigger idiot.

Really?

Why? Because my view differs to yours?

Stay in your hedges, kill everything, be happy :)

Sorry, meant to add.

Partial quoting is a lame way to try and make a point.

Say it in full!!

Are you willing to say you think that if you kill a pigeon another won't take its place?

If not my deluded statement stands :)

Edited by 955i

Millions of pigeons are shot in the UK each year. This helps keep the population in check to a degree. It is very difficult to completely clear an area of pigeons, but it is possible to lessen a problem. Just a couple of years ago, myself and a couple of mates cleared over 500 pigeons in one week, on a field that would have rape emerging a couple of weeks later. The problem was not solved, but certainly a few less pigeons in the area. Scaring pigeons off is not the answer.

You lot are deluded.

If your efforts REALLY stopped pigeons coming to your land you would have no shooting at all.

A dead pigeon will be replaced by a live pigeon and that is what you count on or you would have no sport.

So killing them all on one day makes no difference and you know it :yes:

You can tell your beloved farmer whatever you want, but telling him you can control the pigeons is a lie!!

Really?

Why? Because my view differs to yours?

Stay in your hedges, kill everything, be happy :)

Sorry, meant to add.

Partial quoting is a lame way to try and make a point.

Say it in full!!

Are you willing to say you think that if you kill a pigeon another won't take its place?

If not my deluded statement stands :)

I was partial quoting because most of the post you made was irrelevant nonsense. Farmers want rid of pests, not some human gas gun firing volleys into thin air so they can return once you have left.

Millions of pigeons are shot in the UK each year. This helps keep the population in check to a degree. It is very difficult to completely clear an area of pigeons, but it is possible to lessen a problem. Just a couple of years ago, myself and a couple of mates cleared over 500 pigeons in one week, on a field that would have rape emerging a couple of weeks later. The problem was not solved, but certainly a few less pigeons in the area. Scaring pigeons off is not the answer.

+1 couldn't of said it better myself

+1 couldn't of said it better myself

I was partial quoting because most of the post you made was irrelevant nonsense. Farmers want rid of pests, not some human gas gun firing volleys into thin air so they can return once you have left.

I didn't say it was the answer, I just stated my opinion.

Killing them all is not the answer either or there would be no problem.

Who's theory is best is up for debate :yes:

Let's not act like children. Everyones got different opinions that's not gonna change.

Gas guns, bangers, shooters, if birds want that field there have it, all we can do is try to control there numbers and do our job and protect the crop

Edited by Shotguneddy

For once I agree with Motty!!

gas bangers don't kill pigeons

And yet many farmers prefer them to having people roaming their land with guns!!

This is where the debate lies :yes: but its impossible to have a reasoned discussion on here about it because everyone who wears camo thinks they are a 70 year old born and bred in 't' country with a whippet as a nursemaid and anyone with a differing view is a 'Townie' and a 'Tree Hugger' with no idea :whistling: (they are wrong, just don't dare tell them that because if your idea of shooting differs to theirs then you are the Green Party incarnate).

I suggest a number (who should know better) have a re-read of the GL, once all other options have proved ineffective being the operative phrase!!

Just my opinion, nothing to get wound up about :)