223 or 22-250???

Phil9

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you need to ask yourself is do you even need a .223 just throw your clay busting siver at them, sounds like if that hit em heck thy would be mince meat. :lol:

only if I chrono it first so I know what it's doing! Lol

But does the 223 have enough about it to expand its bullets effectively at these ranges?

Yes. Vmax expands reliably at 300 yards in 223 as the bullet is still travelling at 2,200 fps. I know, I've used them at that distance and they've chrony'd at close on 3240fps from my rifle as a MV. There really isn't that big a difference at these ranges.

Edited by Savhmr

Very interesting, I assume the .223 is something like a 1:8 twist rather than the more common 1:14 as it is running 60 grains in these figures. Not sure what twist the .22 250 needs to be for 60 grain bullets.

Out of interest, how do the figures look with a .243 propelling 60 grain bullets?

Yes, soz, should have said. I use a 26 inch 1/8 twist .223

Much more versatile than the more usual 1/12 or 1/14 twist rifles as it'll happily shoot lighter bullets but will also shoot up to 80 or 90 gr to 1000yds for gong/target if needed. My staple rounds are the 60gr Vmax for all vermin control, and 69TMKs for target/LR gong.

With a .243 shooting the 65gr V-max your figures will be approximately as follows (distance/drop/windage at 10mph full....drop and windage in inches)

100/-0.9/0.8; 200/0.0/3.6; 300/5.2/8.5

This assumes loading a fairly hot load with Viht N135 for 3600fps MV (as taken from Lyman's 49th edition load data)

Edited by Savhmr

If the pedestrian performance of the 223 will kill a fox cleanly at 300 yards+, what are the real time benefits of the 22-250 as a foxer? How exactly does the extra fps benefit it? Apart from an inch or two flatter at 300 yards, are you saying that if a 223 bullet hits a fox in the same spot at the Same distance as a 22250 theres a chance it won't kill it?

If i could pick one word that explains .223s performance, it has to be pedestrian.

After a comment like that I'm thinking your either a wind up or you've never really used a 223, do you actually shoot many foxes?

After a comment like that I'm thinking your either a wind up or you've never really used a 223, do you actually shoot many foxes?

I get my share of foxes in fact i will make a point from now on of posting pictures of every one i shoot in the how many foxes are killed section, i only have one picture in there at the moment, but i have not been here that long.

The only wind up merchant here sir is your good self, i humoured you for a wile i thought your coments quaint how old are you 11, But quite franky i felt sorry for you in the end. Good day .

I get my share of foxes in fact i will make a point from now on of posting pictures of every one i shoot in the how many foxes are killed section, i only have one picture in there at the moment, but i have not been here that long.

The only wind up merchant here sir is your good self, i humoured you for a wile i thought your coments quaint how old are you 11, But quite franky i felt sorry for you in the end. Good day .

so that's one fox? All year, with a shotgun? Good day indeed.

I should go 22-250 unless I wanted a smaller actioned rifle like the CZ

Reason is I should mostly run a 40 grain bullet just under 3000 fps. This will harvest edible rabbits. Kill crows and fox to 200 yards in good hands

Load it up another 8- 900 fps and you have a cracking long range vermin gun as capable as the 243 and a bit more legs than the 223

The 223 can be downloaded but not uploaded and " reportedly " the 22-250 is a better gun to download.

If I was buying only one rifle and never wanted to shoot all deer the 22-250 seems to cover the most bases in the loading room

Limited to factory. 223 Rem is the better choice ( you realise of course there are limits to how hard you can hit a bunny even with head shots)- yet still have something edible!

I should go 22-250 unless I wanted a smaller actioned rifle like the CZ

Reason is I should mostly run a 40 grain bullet just under 3000 fps. This will harvest edible rabbits. Kill crows and fox to 200 yards in good hands

Load it up another 8- 900 fps and you have a cracking long range vermin gun as capable as the 243 and a bit more legs than the 223

The 223 can be downloaded but not uploaded and " reportedly " the 22-250 is a better gun to download.

If I was buying only one rifle and never wanted to shoot all deer the 22-250 seems to cover the most bases in the loading room

Limited to factory. 223 Rem is the better choice ( you realise of course there are limits to how hard you can hit a bunny even with head shots)- yet still have something edible!

That's a good point Kent but conversely, pick a faster twist 223 and you can load up the bullet weight and drop velocity to a fair bit under 3000fps without sacrificing accuracy. I'm running 69TMKs at the minute at around 2800 fps.

I have tried running 60 grainers under 2900 fps with minimum recommended starting loads but the problem is, that loading slow (depending on the powder burn rate and pressure rise times) can result in less accurate loads which is the opposite of what you need for hunting. I guess that you might find a powder match to get decent enough groups but none of my loads worked up with Viht group that well at lower loads. They seem to like between 5% and 2% under max recommended.

How much can you download the 22-250 and retain accuracy and safety? Does the slower twist rate still work with lower loads and different bullet weights?m

With .22250s you can load them down to duplicate the .223 or further reduced in velocity to the level of the .22 Hornet or the .22 WMR. If you want, switching to cast bullets you go even lower and wadding with dacron will get you down under 2000 fps with acceptable accuracy from lino type mixed bullets with gas checks.

I once read its the case volume and tapered case which makes the .22250 good with reduced loads. green dot under 35 v max is a super quiet load out of my ace ultra s5 mod its just a thud and its accurate to 100 120 yards.

.22250 can be super fast with vit 540... 550 or it can get down to a slow hornet speed and still be super accurate it realy is a versatile varmint round.

here is a chart explains results group size speeds etc .

201922250ammograph_zpsv2zcqxet.jpg

No worries about detonation due to empty space in the case, then.

Not down to about 2200, but it happens with some magnum shotgun powders not so much alliant even blue dot is ok, but Ball powders like 571 hs7 etc, dacron filler wadding was needed.

Whats with all this rubbish about "downloading" this and "uploading" that

Why on earth go to the trouble of it all. Its still going to make a bang for goodness sake. All back stops should be good from Air rifle to any other firearm,so why fuss about speed or energy.

There is ONE very important thing above all this waffle about mucking about with loads up or down,, and thats accuracy.

Any 22 center fire will kill a Fox if the aim is good . and that,s ANY 22cf loaded as per intended use not faffed around with.

Blimey any newcomer reading some replies to the original question "223 or 22.250" will be totally baffled :rolleyes:

Whats with all this rubbish about "downloading" this and "uploading" that

Why on earth go to the trouble of it all. Its still going to make a bang for goodness sake. All back stops should be good from Air rifle to any other firearm,so why fuss about speed or energy.

There is ONE very important thing above all this waffle about mucking about with loads up or down,, and thats accuracy.

Any 22 center fire will kill a Fox if the aim is good . and that,s ANY 22cf loaded as per intended use not faffed around with.

Blimey any newcomer reading some replies to the original question "223 or 22.250" will be totally baffled :rolleyes:

How ignorant.