Covers.

Scully

Not wanting to hijack the other thread on this theme, I wondered what peoples opinions of other covers were.

It wasn't until a few years ago I was aware that Robbie Williams 'Angels' was a cover, as was the astonishing Annie Lennox version of 'No More I Love You's'.

I remember Wet Wet Wet had a monumental hit with their cover of 'Love is All Around', and Susan Boyle had much success with 'Wild Horses'.

Alison Moyet has had many hits with covers; my favourite being 'Windmills of my Mind', and no matter what you think of Miley Cyrus, ( give her time; she's just a kid who missed out on her childhood and we've all got to get through it at some time ) the lass can sing, and her version of 'Jolene' in the 'Backyard Sessions' is well worth a listen.

Anyhow, just my opinion.

So many very good covers and really depends what mood I'm in as to what floats my boat, but some that immediately spring to mind just now are on the following albums.

Johny Cash "The Man Comes Around" just full of the emotions of a man who had a whole lifetime lived behind him, not the best voice by any stretch, but all sung with feeling.

The Bryan Ferry "Dylanesque" album of Dylan covers is also brilliant. In fairness pretty much any cover of a Dylan song is better than the original sung by Bob.

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss on the "Raising Sand" album also have some brilliant american folk/roots/blues tracks, mostly covers.

Adele's cover of Make you Feel My Love is superb, but eclipsed by Ferry's version on album mention above, to my tastes at least.

I used to enjoy many of the radio 1 livelounge covers,

Thank the Arctic Monkeys for sparking the craze, I believe they were the first band to do a cover. Certainly the ones who made them popular with their brilliant version of Love Machine. It may not be the best in terms of music quality but what makes it great is that they were obviously having a great time doing it.