English Open

figgy

First time for me at Hodnet Phil won't be my last. There plenty of clays the top shots didn't hit too so don't be bothered. Some fast stuff and long range showing face but nothing silly or on edge at range. Probably the best shoot I've been to target presentation and topography wise.

They best ease up some of the stands for the annual bun fight or there will be some sad down hearted faces.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stand 6 I dropped the first pair readjust and hit the next 6 but shot it after the tree as an ambush shot. The driven stand I straightened I thought I was on for a good card but stand 11 I got 2 and 12 I blanked. No idea why just lost the plot and miss read the targets . I thought the shoot was excellent.

So left at 6am to get down to shoot just after 2pm and then back home at 23:30.

Thoroughly enjoyed the shoot, first major championship for me and first visit to Hodnet. Scored a 76 that I am happy with on balance, dropped a few silly ones that should have got me into the 80's. Wobbled on stands 2&3 as just didn't suit my eye and then had a 1 on stand 6, the white fiend eluded me every time.

Major frustration was dropping the last target on 3 different stands to score a 7, dropped a single target on 3 other stands to score a 7. Could not card an 8 no matter how hard I tried.

I heard someone describe it today, they said "the tough stands are 1 to 15" and that sounds just about right.

Good luck to all shooting it today.

Great to hear the tales of woe and elation over the stands, funny how different the stands have been the undoing of us all. Some stands six and twelve for others it's the driven or the long range looping crossers.

Good luck to all shooting it today.

Great to hear the tales of woe and elation over the stands, funny how different the stands have been the undoing of us all. Some stands six and twelve for others it's the driven or the long range looping crossers.

The thing that has surprised me with some of the very good shots that I know is how they dropped lots of targets on the easier stands.

Clever course setting in the change of tempo between stands and sometimes between targets on the same stand.

Some targets needed loads of lead with slow gun speed and then others needed loads of gun speed and very little lead.

Only having 4 pairs per stand and 15 stands made it very different too.

I was very glad the weather was kind, that course in the wind and rain could have been torture.

Was very surprised no coverage by photographers or video cameras for the clay shooting mags and online shooting shows. Hopefully the super final will be shown online.

Edited by figgy

First time for me at Hodnet Phil won't be my last. There plenty of clays the top shots didn't hit too so don't be bothered. Some fast stuff and long range showing face but nothing silly or on edge at range. Probably the best shoot I've been to target presentation and topography wise.

They best ease up some of the stands for the annual bun fight or there will be some sad down hearted faces.

If it won't be your last Kirk does that mean you will be shooting the NvS with us then?

If it won't be your last Kirk does that mean you will be shooting the NvS with us then?

I can't this year as my local club are hosting a north of England and England team selection shoot I'll be one of the refs and I'm booked on for a referees course the day of the charity shoot.

I will shoot Hodnet again though great course.

See Chris Childerhouse has carded 113 wonder if anyone can better it tomorrow ?

Edited by figgy

Guest stevo

Chris Childerhouse is the English Open English Sporting champion

Name CPSA No Score
High Gun Chris Childerhouse EE 96439 113 +22 + 4 + 5
Runner Up Adrian Johnson EE 110744 112 +23 + 4 + 4
Third Place Andy Jude EE 99947 111 +21 +8

AAA Class
1st James Attwood EE 107759 109 +23 +7
2nd Scott Barnett EE 87191 109 +19 +9
3rd Paul Foster EE 18214 110 +18 +6

AA Class
1st Karl Hagan EE 93896 108
2nd Joshua Bridges EE 122460 106
3rd Wayne Gibbard EE 55548 105 (by default)

A Class
1st Kim Wan EE 1010 108
2nd Sam Upton EE 122694 106
3rd Peter Brockley EE 33879 104

B Class
1st Matt Peddle EE 125843 99
2nd Mark Redstone EE 110858 96
3rd Stephen Oldfield EE 126405 94 +7

C Class
1st David Waites WW 2577 98
2nd Jack Lilwall EE 129427 94
3rd James Hardy EE 131494 92

Ladies High Gun Lucy Pitt WW2281 100
2nd Rosie Brumby EE 117587 95
3rd Cheryl Hall EE 103805 93

Junior High Gun Sam Upton EE 122694 106 +7
2nd Joshua Bridges EE 122460 106 +5
3rd Henry Collins EE 120798 102

Lady Junior High Gun Georgia Moule EE 20297 83
2nd Louise Smith EE 124024 77
3rd Emma Stacey EE 125027 75

Veteran High Gun Robert Palmer EE 27697 107 (by countback)
2nd Carl Bloxham EE 9435 107 (by countback)
3rd Mike Harding WW449 103

Lady Colt High Gun Amy Easeman EE 124370 89
2nd Megan Jones EE 127751 75
3rd Evie Figliolini EE 132467 70

Colt High Gun Amy Easeman EE 124370 89
2nd Charlie Soanes EE 127102 87
3rd Alex Tinsley EE122276 84 +6

Disabled Sitting High Gun Adrian Last EE 87651 84
2nd John Harrison EE 108856 68
3rd N/A

Disabled Standing High Gun Jamie Gutteridge EE 121559 96
2nd Samuel Nunn EE 127134 81
3rd Paul Briggs EE 80194 77

Parent & Child Phil & Amy Easeman 198 ex 240

Side By Side Mark O'Dowd EE 46190 85

Well what a super shoot that was. Hodnet never fails to impress me, I only managed to shoot a 67 but shot some of the high stands really well including the driven and the high simo crossers. The white clay and the tree were a disaster for me as I only hit one. Still really enjoyed it and for those of you that are doing the North /South bun fight you are in for a real treat.. from Auntie.

shot it on Wednesday, put an 80 in that was fair for me a couple of stands needed 3/4 full but otherwise it was a good shoot.

I shot the full course with skeet and quarter choke, never felt under choked and smashed the long range stuff, plaswad carts are very good nowadays. All the long stuff was showing some face or belly with nothing silly edge on. Best shoot I've shot :good:

See K Howland shot well 102 and our Catamomg mid nineties.

Yes, I was squadded with Kevin Howland, as indeed I was when he won the English Open back there in 2010, I couldn't believe it was 6 years ago, how time flies..!

I started well, after 5 stands I was only 1 down, but a poor 4 on stand 6 took the wind out of my sails a bit, I knew the R/L crosser needed a bit of lead but I still missed the first one behind, I ended up missing two of each, no excuses for missing the white bird, easily shot well before the tree but dropping, so very easy to shoot over the top of.

Had a few other mishaps along the way and finished with a 4 on stand 15 to return a 95, all in all a typical Hodnet shoot, very deceptive targets, but a good all round mix of birds, well worth the long journey "Oop North" to shoot.

Well done to Chris Childerhouse for a superb 113, he deserved the trophy with a score like that.

Son of Potter was in the squad behind me, good to see him out and about having a bit of time off from his family commitments.

As Auntie says, the PW shoot looks like being a real goodun this year, so, get booked in now if you're still undecided, hope to see you there on the day..!

Cat.

I shot the full course with skeet and quarter choke, never felt under choked and smashed the long range stuff, plaswad carts are very good nowadays. All the long stuff was showing some face or belly with nothing silly edge on. Best shoot I've shot :good:

Yes, I was pretty much the same, but went up to 3/8 for a couple of stands, to use any more than that was a handicap.

Cat.

Really beautiful ground only my third time there. I enjoyed my day and had a great squad some of them I knew but always nice to meet new folk. I was a little disappointed in my score, it wasn't that I was looking for a massive score but I definitely missed a few silly ones when you really needed those to carry you through some of the harder stands. I learned a valuable lesson which was never change your set up before a major. I was persuaded to change my chokes which I have never ever done in my relatively short time of shooting and the old man wasn't there to stop me I changed them back but too late in the game and finished on 68. That white bird on stand 6 was in slow motion for me it was very odd feeling and I'm not quick enough to kill it before the tree so let it fly and got it at the end of its journey. A great assortment of targets. Wish I could be with you for the charity shoot but alas not this year.

Son of Potter was in the squad behind me, good to see him out and about having a bit of time off from his family commitments.

Nice to see you again Rob :)

I only finished on an 89, but in reality I am not too unhappy with that, seeing that you can count on one hand the number of times I have shot this year!

Looking forward to the PW shoot back there in a couple weeks :good: :good: