Guns and building work

Quick question guys..

I am having our house extended the builders will be in for at least 3 months. My guns are locked in a cabinet under the stairs which is where the consumer unit is located, so the builders will need access and cant miss it. I haven't said anything and don't plan to, but wondered if I should be thinking about moving the guns to a RFD until the work is completed?

I trust the builder he is a genuine local guy so don't have any real concerns and were living in the house while the work is going on. Just occurred to me that other trades will be in and out and wondered what "best practice" is.

I dont expect they'll take an angle grinder to it, but just wanted to get some opinions

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or just don't worry about it, it's locked and only you know where the keys are and I bet 95% of people wouldn't know what a gun cabinet looked like any way!

this is the best suggestion normally trades that come in are trust worthy and honest all they are interested in is getting their work done and moving onto the next job the only person who would notice the cabinet would be the Sparks because it's next to the fuse box

Actually yes you do need to do something. I had to as did a friend. The best thing to do is seek guidance from your feo and try and get it in written form if they say don't bother

It's just good sense you never know who the guys on site might talk to and you have no real means of vetting everyone who comes to site

Actually yes you do need to do something. I had to as did a friend. The best thing to do is seek guidance from your feo and try and get it in written form if they say don't bother

It's just good sense you never know who the guys on site might talk to and you have no real means of vetting everyone who comes to site

But then people drive around with basc stickers on the car which tells everyone in my opinion .

Easier to tell people it's an old safe you've lost the key to .

On another note tho I wouldn't have any builder in my house I didn't trust 100%

oh dear lads .......has it gone this far,,,,,, as a builder i can tell you gun cabinet is way down the list of things we come across that we even raise an eyebrow about...sometimes i wonder how some people go for a shot for the amount of fear for someone seeing you,,,inform police where and when bla bla speak to feo about everything in your life that he really wont be interested in.............................................bla bla bla...dont be ceen taking gunslip outa house.......wingman not having a dig at all directly at you every day there is a topic where the answer is speak to feo ask feo ya ya ya then every one gets annoyed with waiting times for processing but if all their time is taken up answer questions al day is it any wonder things slow down......can honnestly tell you all your builder will be interested in will be doing a good job and getting payed on time trust me........

The cabinet is designed to do exactly that limit access to builders etc, I was working I a house came across cabinet and gun leaning against the cabinet (OU shot gun) the house was worth a few million and the owner obviously wasn't worried........... Also come across em else where in houses as part of my work, never been an issue and most I worked with had no clue what they were and weren't bothered.......

It's not the gun cabinet that I would be concerned about.....

Edited by HDAV

oh dear lads .......has it gone this far,,,,,, as a builder i can tell you gun cabinet is way down the list of things we come across that we even raise an eyebrow about...sometimes i wonder how some people go for a shot for the amount of fear for someone seeing you,,,inform police where and when bla bla speak to feo about everything in your life that he really wont be interested in.............................................bla bla bla...dont be ceen taking gunslip outa house.......wingman not having a dig at all directly at you every day there is a topic where the answer is speak to feo ask feo ya ya ya then every one gets annoyed with waiting times for processing but if all their time is taken up answer questions al day is it any wonder things slow down......can honnestly tell you all your builder will be interested in will be doing a good job and getting payed on time trust me........

At last...the voice of common sense.

Noooo remember us builders are scum that can't be trusted.

We turn up , work , go home , get paid. That's all we want

Builders often have big mouths about how rich one of thier clients is. How remote they are or that they have a lot of guns

Word spreads

However if you left a person with all the kit required to open your safe and left for the day

If they broke in you will loose your cert.