Guns and building work

I wouldn't won't to use guns for building work!!!!! Firing a few hundred 308 rounds thru walls to form openings is not very safe and will cost you a fortune!!!!! Sledge hammers/lump hammers and bolster chisels , man even sthil saws should be used,

I suppose a 12g would be suitable for forming socket holes in stud walls, lol lol

Seriously mate , leave em where they are a crack on,

Stop worrying over nowt,

Atb

Flynny

So are you saying I can't use my hmr to fix skirting back ?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was exactly it, a very simple request for opinions and views from this community as I haven't been in this situation before. I was NOT in anyway intending to start a debate over the relative moral values of the building trade!

I wish I hadn't asked now! :no::no:

Don't take it to heart, all of this sarcasm and jocularity could be short lived at some addresses?

Remember security is your responsibility and you would be expected to defend any decision you make if things go wrong, the current climate relating to Guns means this situation will never be relaxed?

IMHO the definitions of "reasonable precautions and reasonably practicable" are the two phrases to be aware of?

Just do what you think is the easiest to defend?

Enough said by me.

How *stupid* a burglar would have to be to come in knowing you have guns, and try to steal them?

I mean, there is 'stupid' and there is 'OMFG STUPID' here. If the guy robs you of /everything/ in the house the police would barely come over and register the crime, and he'd get a stiff talking to and a slap on the wrist if he ever get caught... Naughty naughty.

NOW... if he were to pick your shotgun and leave, there'd be a manhunt involving helicopters, and when caught he'd be locked up for 20 years with the pedophiles.

So the safest place in the house is probably the gun cabinet...

How *stupid* a burglar would have to be to come in knowing you have guns, and try to steal them?

NOW... if he were to pick your shotgun and leave, there'd be a manhunt involving helicopters, and when caught he'd be locked up for 20 years with the pedophiles.

Noooooooo there wouldn't, nothing would happen other than revocation of said shooters licence. The police like easy targets, not heroics. Helicopters are for taking pics of topless totty!!

Slightly off topic, but similar if you like. I've had plans drawn up for an extension, and I've managed to pencil in a walk in cupboard which I'm going to have as a gun room.

Now on the plans it is simply marked up as storage, however, when the steel, vault locking, police approved security door shows up and the builders fit it, I'm under no illusions that they will know exactly what's going on. 4x4 on the drive and springer spaniel running about the place are a dead give away lol.

So I suppose I'm just going to have to trust them, like I do 99% of people that I meet. :)

I mean, there is 'stupid' and there is 'OMFG STUPID' here. If the guy robs you of /everything/ in the house the police would barely come over and register the crime, and he'd get a stiff talking to and a slap on the wrist if he ever get caught... Naughty naughty.

Didn't the robbers take George Digweed's guns?

Unless the cabinet is stolen as well

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/14475844.Shotgun_stolen_in_Tenbury/?ref=rl&lp=3

Slightly off topic, but similar if you like. I've had plans drawn up for an extension, and I've managed to pencil in a walk in cupboard which I'm going to have as a gun room.

Now on the plans it is simply marked up as storage, however, when the steel, vault locking, police approved security door shows up and the builders fit it, I'm under no illusions that they will know exactly what's going on. 4x4 on the drive and springer spaniel running about the place are a dead give away lol.

So I suppose I'm just going to have to trust them, like I do 99% of people that I meet. :)

Slightly off topic but wot other specs did u have to follow for ur walk in cupboard/gun room?

Is it solid block walls all round and wot is the ceiling?

Know of a local land owner who built a right fancy gun room in the stables when he dne it up for shooting parties for him self. He had to put a solid re-inforced concrete ceiling

Doing a bit of building work mtself was just planning on a big locking cupboard against a masonry wall and site safes there, never really thought of doing away with gun safes all together

Slightly off topic but wot other specs did u have to follow for ur walk in cupboard/gun room?

Is it solid block walls all round and wot is the ceiling?

Know of a local land owner who built a right fancy gun room in the stables when he dne it up for shooting parties for him self. He had to put a solid re-inforced concrete ceiling

Doing a bit of building work mtself was just planning on a big locking cupboard against a masonry wall and site safes there, never really thought of doing away with gun safes all together

The walls will be block work, not to sure on the ceiling. I'll have to talk to the old bill before I finish just to guarantee a pass. If extra reinforcement is required I'll probably go for a sheet of 3mm steel welded to a angle iron frame then thrubolt the lot from underneath. Should be ok.

I got my local builder to fit my cabinet for me, as it needed a skirting board cut and the wall flattened off so it would sit flush and my battery drill was pretty knackered too. Just easier to bung him 50 quid for 90 mins work.

I must be a risk taker ☺

Someone mentioned BASC stickers, ALL my neighbours know what I do, I've told them all so they don't get concerned seeing me walk in and out all the time with gunslips, all my makes know what I do, many of whom don't shoot, so half the world altready knows about me.

*** the builder sees a cabinet!

If in the unlikely event that the safe gets done over when the builders & sub contractors are working at the house wont they be some of the first people to be questioned ?? Even if the safe were to be done over after all the work was completed you would at least be able to inform the investigating officers that you had some work recently carried out. Cover it and even if it is still bothering you speak directly to the builder and tell him about the safe but not what is in it.

If you are really that worried, Get some coat hooks and place them above the cabinet and hang all your winter and old coats draping over it, and infront put a few pairs of wellies and boots. will look like a cupboard corner rammed with winter stuff.

If it was me that's what i would do then stop loosing sleep over it

Exactly what I did , unwittingly. I have the decorators in at the moment,yesterday they painted both sides of the door to my cupboard with gun cabinet in , but my Wife had thrown so many coats and boots in there you couldn't see the cabinet anyway !

Some builders may be OK...........but they may just mention to someone that your house has guns in it..................hidden away under the stairs..........................and they may tell a friend, who may tell a friend..............................

Still, nothing to worry about as no-one in the building industry is dishonest. Just ask all the people who have been scammed by cowboy builders :rolleyes::whistling:

G

Some builders may be OK...........but they may just mention to someone that your house has guns in it..................hidden away under the stairs..........................and they may tell a friend, who may tell a friend..............................

Still, nothing to worry about as no-one in the building industry is dishonest. Just ask all the people who have been scammed by cowboy builders :rolleyes::whistling:

G

I come across more cowboy customers ;)

Well I'm starting to brick it now (bit of a pun) I'm having the house decorated and some bloke from one of my locals is doing it.

I think I better cancel the work, Oh !! No !! wait a minute,, he's already been in my house.

Panic.

Ah ha, :-) no need to worry I did a bit of research into the chap, got a few reviews from some of his customers. Got to know the gaffer first, then asked him if he was interested in the job.

Well I'm starting to brick it now (bit of a pun) I'm having the house decorated and some bloke from one of my locals is doing it.

I think I better cancel the work, Oh !! No !! wait a minute,, he's already been in my house.

Panic.

Ah ha, :-) no need to worry I did a bit of research into the chap, got a few reviews from some of his customers. Got to know the gaffer first, then asked him if he was interested in the job.

It's your kitchen fitter you need worry about dougy