Puppy Love

fitzy

I've finally bowed to pressure from the wife and children to get a dog. Primarily a family dog I would like to take her shooting with me in Wales. It's a rough shoot, very informal with friends.

Went with the whole family to visit the sellers, parents and puppies. Also saw one of the offspring of her previous litter who was also a very pleasant natured

All went very well and I've put a deposit down for a puppy. Currently only 2 weeks old so will have the choice of 1 of 4 chocolate brown working cockers nearer the time. Of the four bitches, the children seemed to like the smallest one ie the runt.

Is this generally a no-no when picking a puppy from the litter? Advice welcome as the heart can easily over rule the head when it comes to selecting cute puppies.

Our spin was the runt of the litter, she was adopted by a lab to feed. I don't take the dogs shooting, I'm a fair weather clay shooter so I cannot comment from a working point of view. Essentially Freddie was and still is food obsessed, this may have been inflamed by the fact she couldn't get to her mum to feed. As a young pup she would eat far to fast and bloat out. We cured this with a special feeding bowl that was super frustrating for her, but slowed her right down. 14 months on she is perfect around food (would still do cartwheels for a biscuit), not aggressive in any shape or form and is a perfect family pet.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the smallest of a litter of three springers. She's just over 18 months now and is fine - we recently won second place in our first ever working test. Her siblings are just not as competent in the field as my little one (we're still in touch with their owners), so don't believe the received wisdom that says avoid the runt. If you like the dog and if the dog likes you that's the best start you can hope for at that age in my opinion. Everything else can be developed later.

We picked the runt, purely because of his markings. At 18months he has already outgrown our other 2 springers and is a strapping (if a bit daft) young lad!

We picked the runt, purely because of his markings. At 18months he has already outgrown our other 2 springers and is a strapping (if a bit daft) young lad!