4x4 conundrum!!!!!!!

storsey

Good afternoon gentlemen...

Some advise please I have a nissan terrano had if for a few years and too be honest it's been ok ... Not the best off-roader in the world but it's dragged me and my gear around feilds pretty well ...

But I have a few more permissions now where a better 4x4 would be a great advantage so with a budget of about £4k what would you get ....

I like quite a big car as I have lots of gear as I always take too much and sometime I'm not alone so need a biggish vehicle so a jimny is out of the question .... I'm leaning toward a pick up but anyway your thoughts as always will be greatly appreciate

I've had an old Discovery 300tdi for over 3 years now that I bought for £550 with short MOT. It went through with £300 of work, including test, and had I bought it with long ticket would have been £11-1200.

It's been over all kinds of ground, got me out of some stickies, including virtually on its side in a ditch once. It's towed trailers and horseboxes full of beaters all over the place.

Last year I went from Ramsey to St Ives, Cambs then to Aberaeron, Aberaeron to Llyn Clywedog and back to Aberaeron then return to Ramsey, taking a detour to drop off my buddy in St Ives and the fuel light came on as I left St Ives. Not bad on a tank full.

Admitted, it's due for spare or repair this year but I definitely want another 300tdi if I can find one. Seems they're holding their price these days though.

A 53 plate Disco has served me well over the last 5+ years, and I've done nearly 60k miles in it myself.

Like anything that old, they need some maintenance, but if you don't mind picking up a spanner every now and again to keep the costs down, they are great machines..Mechanically very good, strong and in my case, not any rust.

I would love a patrol GR 2.8 but they are thirsty beasts, compared to your terrano and this scares me off them.

4k is not enough for a decent Toyota Land cruiser colorado.

Teranno takes some beating to be honest limited slip diff engine that will do half a million miles the list goes on. I thhink if the teranno is still solid and no big faults developing, i would save up a bit more money myself. Keep the teranno.

I am in the exact same possition as you, only my Teranno as been body off chassis rebbuilt, but i want a 4x4 imediatley. Decided against it and having a big purge on the teranno to get it finnished as quick as i can. Keep it save up some more. get a TLC.

At that sort of money be more about the individual motor rather than the model, be plenty of pig in a poke ruff 4x4's out there, just a case of finding a tidy 1.

Depnending wot u actually want to do with it and if u have a garage/shed and off street parking but a trailer and quad is a cracking combo, really will go most places without chewing fields up, may even mean u can do away with a 4x4 and run a cheap van instead?

Ur only problem is parking trailer and securing quad.

What makes you think you need something better off road than the teranno? On normal farmed ground any 4x4 will do the job as well as any other with the right tires

+1 Tyres Tyres Tyres.

My Hilux will go pretty well anywhere but I dont want to wreck it want to avoid washing it so make a big effort to avoid the worst stuff. Personally I would go for something japanese high mileage.

Could go for an Isuzu trooper or Vauxhall Monterey (same vehicle with a different badge) the LWB is huge, even the SWB is bigger than most 3 door 4x4s, thirsty but has a good spec, not bad on or off road and very comfortable, bit long in the tooth now but you have the budget for a good one.

I particularly liked the seat heaters when I had one, they heat the seat back rather than the base so they warm you up nicely without making you feel like you've wet yourself.

Saying that though your terrano isn't bad, so I would agree with others and say try changing your tyres and see how you go.

Edited by Jamesey1981

Tyres are the answer if you are off road a lot then 80/20 tyres are the way to go.That will total transform your car's off road capabilities.I changed back to 50/50 AT's,nice on the tarmac but found myself using 4WD more frequently.So you have to bite the bullet and decide is priority off road or on road.Seriously there is nothing wrong with the terrano it just needs a capable tyre.

Edited by Davyo

I'm just going through the same dilemma.... my Y reg 3door Grandvit's clutch is about an inch off the floor .... replaced a leaking master cylinder which improved it for a couple of months but it's now back down there. The slave cylinder appears to be working in unison with the master/pedal so it sounds like the pressure plate etc might be knackered.

This has been a cracking little vehicle..used and abused and the most important thing is I can open the back door and stand on the bumper and shoot off the roof..... I've spent several nights on the back of it and shot loads of foxes from there... I can step round and stand on the rear wheel and shoot across the roof too (very effective... had a vixen at 310m two nights ago and the dog at 215m last night from there :good: Back of snailey from black firs..... sorry Al4x :lol: )

The other 'things' that will/possibly need doing probably make it uneconomical to fix the clutch so it's time to look for a replacement....... I'd been thinking about another GVit or an Xtrail..... running costs and tax would seem to even out and I could also get rid of the old faithful diesel 2l Astra SXi and save on tax, service and insurance on that.

Is a decent low mileage X trail an alternative? i.e. is it possible to fold the rear seats and sit/shoot out of the sunroof in 360degree comfort?

Cheers

Fizz

:ninja:

Edited by fizzbangwhallop