In a field(s) of my own

NatureBoy

• Out later today. Party'n late last night so a bit of a thick head and jobs to sort.
  • Do the tour of all the possible fields and farms as not had much chance to reccy during the week. 12oc and 25 degrees little wind. not looking to promising. Nothing on the drilling's. a few on the clover in paddocks i can't shoot. That leaves the knocked back rape fields i shot last week when unwelcome company turned up. Left this farm till last as i was convinced the other shooters would be on there. Or had shot it again during the week as they are retired. Drive thro the farm no one about or in the fields. Look for signs it had been shot again. None! whew it's hot! but there are a few pigeons about. No where near the numbers last week, but a few going down and feeding where i shot last week. Fields had recently been sprayed and we had no rain to wash it in. I think pigeons avoid fields that have been sprayed and not rained in for a few days. There's a flight line across these to fields tho so i' give it a go. set up in same place in ditch under small sitty tree at end of hedge line between the two fields as last week,What little Wind there is off my back. 12 flocked shells out in 2 small groups gap thro the middle. 2 Breasted birds on the magnet off to the right between the 2 fields. Lucky confidence crow out down the margin to my left. It's 2oc and still with a thick head it's good to be tucked away in the shade in the ditch, within 2 minutes the 1st bird dives into the patten and is shot. 5 minutes later another. This could be good after all. Then it goes quiet. Put the two shot birds on 2nd magnet and off to the left 10 yrds out. Another two birds are shot. one on a flapper in open patch in rape to the right. other on a floater 70 yrds out to the right to try and pull some birds that are drifting wide of the end of he field. this works for a while. tho birds not decoying. But close enough to bring down some high birds with testing shots. one of these put on anther floater and out to the left about 60 yrds, others are added to the patten. this helps keep odd birds coming into patten or over to have a look. managed to call 2 cows in and shoot to. as i am playing with the patten i hear and see 2 angry crows launch from the trees opposite and fly up to mob what i first think is a buzzard. As the bird gets closer i see it looks and flies a bit different and realise it's a red kite. Truly amazing! And only the 4th one i have ever seen in Suffolk. it drifts off with lazy wing beats. about 6oc Things get fairly quiet. With no birds about i am thinking of packing up. I am just tucking into one of ginsters finest (other pasties are available) when a cheeky ####dy pigeon lands in the tree not 10ft above my head. Pasty on floor as i grab for the maxus. it sees me and as it clatters out of tree i manage to catch up with it with the 3rd shot going away. This shifts several pigeons that have snuck in to the trees around the field and the small wood beyond. some come in to the patten others circle around. In the next half hour i down 13 more birds before it dies completely. I pack up at 7oc picking 29 woodies and 2 crows for 67 carts. Not a big bag or great ratio. But what a great day to be sat in a field on my own!!!
  • And what a difference a week and a bit of sun makes huh! Did anyone else notice that there was loads of insects out today? Butterflys and early hornets to. The swifts are well and truly back. chiff chaff's, blackcaps and whitethroats in the hedges and skylarks singing.
  • At work Friday i watched 3 spotted flycatchers fighting over territory/mates. a garden warbler to.Birds i haven't seen for a year or two. Heard shrews fighting in the grass round me today to. What happened to them? Used to be loads about.

NB

Where have you been for the last two years?

Your write ups are excellent and the joy you take from the sport is obvious. I like the little touch 'other pasties are available'.

Looking reading and learning so much from the pigeon watch massive mate!! And being out in the fields as much as i can! Only my 4th year trying to decoy woodies seriously. So a newbie compared to you lot with a lot to learn still. This sites been great as i shoot on my own!

Thanks Jdog!! Also comes from a life long passion for knowledge about all things in nature. Hense my handle. Given me by the late great Percy Edwards After winning an adult bird quiz at the age of 11 after one of his talks in our local village hall. It'snot all about the biggest bags. And i would probably shoot more and use less carts if i weren't so distracted by nature. Lol!

There pasties! The perfect pigeons shooters bait. It's tasty ,filing, sealed and tucks in your pocket or bag. Plus easy to eat with bloody muddy fingers. No! I haven't got shares! But i am hungary now. NB

Well done, good write up. :good:

I think you will see more red kites, they have been very successful in Cambs and Northants. :yes:

Thanks mate!

Hope so. Lovly birds n a change from buzzards. Have seen em that way and the midlands. Saw taged released ones about here few years back, but don't think they lasted long. NB

Great report and a good read, two magnets and a flapper and floater??? I thought I carried a lot of gear. It amazes me that when your not expecting birds to arrive they come a sit in trees or fly in the wrong way to wind. Well done .

Thanks PC! enjoy reading, being inspired by and learning from your reports to. And others! Especially when it's hard going in the winter months! yeah it all gets chucked in my ol truck. Could drive to where i was shooting yesterday and last week. End of hedge part splits 2 fields where rape knocked back. So used 2nd magnet to try and pull birds from other field like last week. Floaters stood out well above small clumps of patchy rape in blossom. flapper in open ground between the two. even tho knocked back tried to get all as visible as poss. They didn't like it when i put extension arms on magnet tho. Going to fast then maybe? NB

Question!!

Went up one of the new farms earlier to get milk and cheese for the week. And recy the fields of cos.

Farmer has acreage of established luscen (excuse spelling) for cattle fodder.

Says it can get hammered by pigeons at times. Had 15 off it when it sort and not growing in Feb. Seen nowt since n it up about a foot n lush.

When does it attract pigeons most? NB

Question!!

Went up one of the new farms earlier to get milk and cheese for the week. And recy the fields of cos.

Farmer has acreage of established luscen (excuse spelling) for cattle fodder.

Says it can get hammered by pigeons at times. Had 15 off it when it sort and not growing in Feb. Seen nowt since n it up about a foot n lush.

When does it attract pigeons most? NB

Lucerne can be good for pigeons. They are on it at the moment in places and they will be on it again two or three weeks after it has been cut for silage or hay.