Company cars

HDAV

WHats the current situation on company cars?

Imay be looking at anew role which may have the option of a car, i have had a company van last few years socar hasn't had much use and is getting on.

Expecting min 20k miles a year and would want something comfy and able to carry a bit, SUV probably

At the moment very open ended, I have in the past claimed mileage which is great at 45p not at 20p,

Would a double cab pick up do the job, a lot of the so called managers at a company I worked for had then better for tax i think

I have the wrong end of that at the moment (Corsa van), double cab would be perfect but doubt its an option..... (can hope)

You might be next off seeing if you can get paid a car allowance which you will be taxed on and then claim business mileage back at the appropriate rates

This gives you the choice of what car you want and you then have your car available for personal use.

If you Mitsubishi Outlander previous there is a government funded discount I think of £5k as electric, meant to be really economical, cheap tax

Depending on company car tax and mileage and if allowed for personal then tax implications can be high although you can reimburse your Pte fuel element if you keep detailed mileage the records

Pro and cons both ways

I think dealers will advise you on tax burden if going company cars

I have just got a company car and must say it's the easiest way of having a new car. Choose the car wisely and the tax isn't too bad. Couple of friends have a car allowance and they are supposedly better off for it but when we compared numbers there was very little if anything in it and the had all the aggro of paying for servicing, tyres, repairs etc. I am just about to order a new top spec mondeo and even paying 40p tax it's less than £200 a month in tax and that is all it will ever cost me.

If you want a SUV and the company are happy then go for the outlander phev, as it's dirt cheap company car tax. If you go down the allowance route then I would look at anything but the phev as its very expensive and not actually that economical...40mpg ish plus the increased electric bills!

PHEV is a **** car though current boss has one and apart from the fact its free motoring for him he doesn't rate it, neither does anyone else i have spoken to. I'm accepting of the corsa for work ('m not its **** but a newer slightly better espec one would be ok).

I'll see what they offer as so far i have been told "the package is what you want it to be" less than ideal.