Best Breakdown Cover

yates

As ever with price comparisons it's ensuring your comparing like with like cover.

We've been with the AA for many years with roadside relay and home start. Every renewal they try to bump up the premium, seemingly at above inflation increases. I compare this with Green Flag who are generally cheaper. We then contact AA for price match or we walk. Every year they price match. On those occasions when we've needed them the service has been v good. Particularly on one occasion when my wife was a lone driver and they respond well to stranded lone females.

Something I found out the hard way, check the recovery distance to see if there is a limit, I pay £50 extra on each car insurance policy (4 cars) for breakdown, and when I broke down once I found out my cover was up to 10 miles from home, anything over that and I had to pay per mile.

I wasn't happy that when the recovery truck turned up, he wouldn't even load my car until I paid the extra; Luckily I was OK, but was fuming in that it could have been one of my daughters who might not of had the money to pay there and then.

Thank you. Green flag are coming in about£50.00 cheaper than AA for a like for like quote. My question is are Green flag able to match the AA in terms of service and reliability

I think Green flag are as good as any I think that quite a few car insurance companies us then in there bundle.

I usually do not get breakdown/recovery separate to my car insurance most companies give you the option of having it at extra cost as with car insurance I never pay by direct debit that way when renewal comes around they have to give you a competative quote having said that I tend to use a comparison website to make shore that I am not being taken for a fool. If you have to pay by direct debit just try a good comparison website and be prepaird to have to cansall it at the end of the year.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Green flag and national breakdown are great, even though the later may send out a 3rd party to recover (usually a garage local to the breakdown). Just because AA & RAC are the leading named doesn't mean you will rec the best service.When i was with the AA it was a 3rd party that came to assist. Most garages now offer a yrs breakdown in with their annual service now. I've just paid £140 for full service on the Jimny @ Suzuki dealer and includes 1 yrs breakdown and recovery & home start.

Having worked on incident support units with highways agency and attending numerous motorway breakdowns the company that always came out within the time they say is the RAC...I've seen the other big player turn up well over there time giving or sending a local recovery service who after a hour or so say they just got the call. ..RAC in my opinion pal.

I was in an accident on an island over a motorway bridge where I was stationary & I was hit from behind by a transit van who didn't even attempt to break, sufficient force to damage the rear of the chassis, pushed the boot door half way into the boot cavity, bent the floor pan and left the back wheels splayed out and the vehicle un-drivable.

I called the the AA who I was covered with and was only 5 mile from home to be told they were going to send a van to tow me home....... After explaining that wasn't going to be viable and a flat bed was required because of the damage I was left for 3.5 hours to sit with the car in the rain, every window broken bar the wind screen and me getting wet. And when the flat bed did turn up it wasn't even one of theirs.

We now wouldn't return to them because of a complete lack of faith in them.

RAC is where we go now and use Tesco club card points. If it wasn't RAC then Green flag is where I would look.

Locally now though any issues and between my family and the wife's we have enough towing vehicles, straight bars and amber beacons etc to tow in anything, worst case we have a car trailer available to us also.

ATB

Matt

I was with the AA for years but like many others was let down badly when I needed it...... never again and on the occasion my bike broke down due to a loose connector, the non-AA liveried guy that turned up didn't even have a decent sized screwdriver to get the bodywork fasteners off! Result...... a scratch across the paintwork of my RC30's seat unit! (*** Ooopps sorry mate.. as much use as a box of frogs.)

So on the moneysaving experts recommendation I now subscribe to Autoaid.... their prices have crept up over the years and I've never had to use them so time will (hopefully not) tell

http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk

Fizz

:ninja:

Edited by fizzbangwhallop

Can anyone confirm where the Green flag call centre is?

It always nice to speak to someone in the UK rather than an over seas call centre.

ATB

Matt

Green flag was in pudsey, had a mate work there a few years ago! I now use rac as it based on the person not the car and i drive a fair few different cars and obscure stuff most wont touch if i told them. Only had subbies from rac with flatbeds as i only call them when its terminal!

I was with the AA for years but like many others was let down badly when I needed it...... never again and on the occasion my bike broke down due to a loose connector, the non-AA liveried guy that turned up didn't even have a decent sized screwdriver to get the bodywork fasteners off! Result...... a scratch across the paintwork of my RC30's seat unit! (*** Ooopps sorry mate.. as much use as a box of frogs.)

So on the moneysaving experts recommendation I now subscribe to Autoaid.... their prices have crept up over the years and I've never had to use them so time will (hopefully not) tell

http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk

Fizz

:ninja:

I've used these for a few years, and they've been good for me. :good:

Can anyone confirm where the Green flag call centre is?

It always nice to speak to someone in the UK rather than an over seas call centre.

ATB

Matt

There is one in Leeds near me. Don't know if that is their only one though.

i would have recomended green flag.....until yesterday,

we had a lady bring her car into work and said she had no rear brakes, as in they were in a carrier bag she was holding - shoes/springs/clips, all mixed up together,

asked her the obvs questions - who/how/why.... she said she had a squeaking noise coming from the rear when she braked so, worried it could be serious, called her break down cover,

lad arrived and stripped out the rear brakes to find one of the shoes linings had fallen off - hence the noise,

he then told her he could do no more but would make her car safe to drive to a garage, at this point i was expecting to find a hose clamp or 2 on the rear hoses, nasty enough but no.......

to 'make it safe' he put a small, narrow cable tie around each wheel cylinder to hold the pistons in and assured her it'd be ok......naturally the pressure snapped the ties and dumped most of the fluid,

how she made it across town without crashing into something is a mystery as the pedal was hitting the floor !!!!

so, green flag ? possibly a one off incident but sadly if thats the caliber of their patrol guys id rather go without im afraid :no:

• 1 month later...