What to do? Another cheap 4x4 thread

SimpleSimon

Hi all,

I'm sad to say I might soon be forced to lend/give my beloved Xtrail to the wife. Her car is less than ideally suited to her 60 mile daily round trip and has been a pain in the backside for as long as we've owned it in terms of reliability.

I have nowhere near as far to travel to work, but (reliability problems aside) her Ford Fusion isn't exactly a brilliant dog, gun and Gear transporter compared to the Nissan.

I'm considering cutting our losses with the Ford and flogging it for whatever I can get. I will then have a maximum of £1000 to add to that (I'm guessing maybe £1500 in total) to replace my Xtrail. Is that enough to buy me something like a Jimny, in a condition that's worth owning? What sort of things do I need to look out for with a Jimny in that price range, or is there anything else worth considering?

Why not keep the xtrail and buy the Mrs something like a xsara Picasso , you will get a tidy one for that money , great engines and very economical and loads of room .

I have had a 1.6 hdi one for the last three years and its been great its currently averaging 57.5 mpg and I have not reset the trip computer for several months.

Funnily enough I am about to sell that and buy a Xtrail ! if I can ever find a suitable one .

Edited by fenboy

Why not keep the xtrail and buy the Mrs something like a xsara Picasso , you will get a tidy one for that money , great engines and very economical and loads of room .

I have had a 1.6 hdi one for the last three years and its been great its currently averaging 57.5 mpg and I have not reset the trip computer for several months.

Funnily enough I am about to sell that and buy a Xtrail ! if I can ever find a suitable one .

Food for thought, thanks. I hadn't really considered getting her another car, I guess my reasoning was that the Xtrail is overall much better than anything I can buy for the money I'll have, whereas a different car for me doesn't need to be as reliable/comfortable/safe/quick due to the much lower mileage I cover. Mrs SimpleSimon is a notorious breaker of cars, I'm not sure what it is she does to them!

Teranno are probably the best on off road drive that are reliable inherently in that price range.

We have sorned at the moment been modified and rebuilt, i like them.

And i have to say again in that price range just, the Fantastic Daihatsu Fourtrak 2.8 turbo we had one six years, and i like fourtraks more than any other 4x4 for ovderall reliability and practicality. Ours had a 16 foot ifor williams on its back vertualy all the 170 000 miles we did in it in those six years and it never missed a beat, i looked after it regarding servicing etc, and boy did that thing repay us in dependability.

Only thing i will say is not as good on diesel as the teranno and not as refined on road but reliable and tough.

Hi all,

I'm sad to say I might soon be forced to lend/give my beloved Xtrail to the wife. Her car is less than ideally suited to her 60 mile daily round trip and has been a pain in the backside for as long as we've owned it in terms of reliability.

I have nowhere near as far to travel to work, but (reliability problems aside) her Ford Fusion isn't exactly a brilliant dog, gun and Gear transporter compared to the Nissan.

I'm considering cutting our losses with the Ford and flogging it for whatever I can get. I will then have a maximum of £1000 to add to that (I'm guessing maybe £1500 in total) to replace my Xtrail. Is that enough to buy me something like a Jimny, in a condition that's worth owning? What sort of things do I need to look out for with a Jimny in that price range, or is there anything else worth considering?

If she is driving 60 miles a day I would have thought that she would need something better than a old X-trail I would not like to trust my luck driving 15000 miles a year to an old car like that could you not try and get a deal buying a new car expensive but no worry about having to fork out to get it repaired all of the time.

Teranno are probably the best on off road drive that are reliable inherently in that price range.

We have sorned at the moment been modified and rebuilt, i like them.

And i have to say again in that price range just, the Fantastic Daihatsu Fourtrak 2.8 turbo we had one six years, and i like fourtraks more than any other 4x4 for ovderall reliability and practicality. Ours had a 16 foot ifor williams on its back vertualy all the 170 000 miles we did in it in those six years and it never missed a beat, i looked after it regarding servicing etc, and boy did that thing repay us in dependability.

Only thing i will say is not as good on diesel as the teranno and not as refined on road but reliable and tough.

Terrano is appealing, would be nice to have something that didn't need packing like a game of Tetris (Jimny). I don't seem to see many around though. Anything to watch out for on them?

Anyone have any thoughts on the Isuzu Trooper? Seen a few about and the SWB would be a good size.

I've got a beauty for sale.... cheap too...

Terrano is appealing, would be nice to have something that didn't need packing like a game of Tetris (Jimny). I don't seem to see many around though. Anything to watch out for on them?

Anyone have any thoughts on the Isuzu Trooper? Seen a few about and the SWB would be a good size.

The ford maverick is basically the same car as a Nissan terrano in case you didn't know, just a different badge, so that may help your search.

I used to have a trooper, lovely car, and the SWB is bigger than most three door 4x4s, thirsty though, I had the 3.2 v6 petrol, and an auto gearbox, the diesel was 3 litre I think, but wasn't that much better on fuel, did have a bit more bottom end though.

Also look for Vauxhall montereys if you decide on a trooper, it's another one that's the pretty much the same car with a different badge.

Terannos i like the older 2.7 TDIs they are a very long lived engine generaly 500k is not uncommon taxis use this engine or did aparently.

I have had 2 and worked on many more, they can get diapram spring weakness resulting in noisy release bearing and slight intermitent clutch juder, they can last years in this state we tow a lot heavy gear and ours was like this 4 years, only changed it because i had the chance to when i rebuilt the vehichle.

Rot rear quaters insede lips front radiator mount panel can rust behind the bumpar, cills under the lip and in extreme cases the adjoining floor. rear seat belt lower mounting points LWB can rust in that area. Front arch trim areas on wings can get crispy ussualy at the front edge.

Chassis are pretty good rear chassis rear of springs can get bad on some trucks look carefull there.

Anti roll bar links self distruct but give plenty of warning rattling etc.

Bomb proff rear axle Many have LSD which helps with traction, Gearboxes are generaly reliable. Engines are very good look for the obvious overheating smoking etc, they are a smoth pretty quiet motor generaly, but on high milleage ones wel over 200k they can get to rattling from the front its timing chain or tensioner wear and needs sorting out.

Not that dificult but a hastle, and worth walking away from a car if its like this and you have no time to sort it out.

Plenty out there, watch for latter ones i had chance of a 51 or 52 reg a few years ago, but tax was a lot more than the old 1998 2.7 we had so i passed on it.

2nd phase Terranos are my favourates for appearance the round headlight and little driving lights grile style suits the shape of the truck i think, but its all prettyu accademic really. Good truck tough plentifull and reliable, i have not really come accross anything to touch them overall in cheap 4x4s why we still have one. TLCs are better but a lot more money, at this price point Terannos and maveric s take some beating in my opinion.

Troopers are ok but drink heavy for what they are, and the chassis are prone to terminal rust more than other comparative jap 4x4s in my own experience.

Edited by TONY R

Can I jump in with a quick question of the X-Trail experts on here?

My little 2001 3 door GrandVit is just about knackered and needs replacing any day (when the clutch finally gives up) .. it's been a great little motor for standing on the back of with the rear door open and shooting across the roof when out waiting for foxy.. I know the X-Trails have a lift up rear gate as opposed to the Suzi's side-swinger but is the X-Trails sunroof opening big enough to fold down the rear seats and get a stool in there to shoot out of the sunroof in all directions?

Cheers very much

Fizz

Can I jump in with a quick question of the X-Trail experts on here?

My little 2001 3 door GrandVit is just about knackered and needs replacing any day (when the clutch finally gives up) .. it's been a great little motor for standing on the back of with the rear door open and shooting across the roof when out waiting for foxy.. I know the X-Trails have a lift up rear gate as opposed to the Suzi's side-swinger but is the X-Trails sunroof opening big enough to fold down the rear seats and get a stool in there to shoot out of the sunroof in all directions?

Cheers very much

Fizz

Don't know about the T30 (pre 2007) but I reckons mone on the T31 opens far enough for that.

The ford maverick is basically the same car as a Nissan terrano in case you didn't know, just a different badge, so that may help your search.

I used to have a trooper, lovely car, and the SWB is bigger than most three door 4x4s, thirsty though, I had the 3.2 v6 petrol, and an auto gearbox, the diesel was 3 litre I think, but wasn't that much better on fuel, did have a bit more bottom end though.

Also look for Vauxhall montereys if you decide on a trooper, it's another one that's the pretty much the same car with a different badge.

Not on an 02 pate there not , do a quick search ;)

A lad near me just bought one with full service history, 75 K miles and all paperwork for sub £1800 ......... a real beaut :good:

a top spec model as well. O4 plate I think

That was a great price the ones I have looked at have been double that , decent ones also seem to go quick too , I phoned about one today the add had only been on 20 mins and he had two people wanting to go for a look.

The Maveric ended production in 2001, the replacement was a squared off soft roader like a freeloader x trail styled thing. Had Zetec petrols in them, not sure what they used for a diesel engine or even if they did one.

If you want a soft roader buy an X trail. You could get by with a freeloader :lol: if you like practical mechanics projects.

When it was a actual 4x4 it was, the newer ones were a rebadged Ford Escape that was never intended for off roading and were available in some markets as front wheel drive only, hardly a 4x4, it's a "Sport Utility Vehicle," and not an especially good one either.

My trooper wasn't rusty, think it had been undersealed early on in its life, I have seen some right horrors though, so as Tony R said do watch for rust underneath if you go to look at one, be suspicious if it's freshly undersealed too, give it a poke with a key to make sure the metal under it is solid.

Edited by Jamesey1981