Police Advice required

OK, so long story short:

Ex left 2 weeks ago and today at 5pm, I had a ARV team turn up as they "Had a report" I had guns in the house.

They said where the guns were kept and wanted to have a look.

I explained I had a SGC and was more than happy to get the keys to open my cabinet and show them my SGC as well. They were very polite and asked if I was on any medication - I said yes, stuff for gout, painkillers for my recent operation and sleeping tablets due to stress.

They have now impounded my guns subject to a SGC review. They checked all the numbers against my ticket and all was OK, but why do I feel I'm the one in the wrong?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sleeping tablets due to stress" - oh oh!

STRESS = bye bye guns

I know several people that have lost FAC's that way. As soon as the magic stress word is mentioned, that's it...

Hope you can get a good defense case/counter argument put together.

PHONE ANY ASSOCIATION YOU ARE IN NOW.

Fingers crossed for you....

Speak to your GP tomorrow and see if they will give you a reference in relation to medication. Get any other agency you may have dealt with recently.

How is your relationship with the ex's family? Will they give you one?

Same from friends, especially those in trusted positions. Also employer.

If you have no previous dealings with the police, it should come around OK.

We can all speculate about what will happen until the cows come home, but the reality of it is that you need to wait to see what the outcome of the police SGC review is. Be calm and cooperative with the police in the meantime. We all have times in our lives where we can be classed as stressed, such as bereavement, divorce or losing a job. It doesn't automatically mean that you'll lose your guns. Stay positive!

Mate, I feel for you and know what you are going through. Yes, I've been through it too , with the added embarrassment of being a serving cop and my colleagues taking the guns. It's a horrible thought suddenly feeling that you have been judged to be a risk to yourself or others, even though you know 100% you are not.

Take it from me, the police are on a bum covering exercise. They are protecting themselves from any fallout in the event things did go all wrong.

Get yourself to the docs, get em onside. Look if possible on the bright side. You have not been revoked. Push for a meeting with the firearms licensing manager. It is entirely normal procedure during matrimonial break ups / emotionally charged events for guns to be temporarily removed . As I said, I've been there, both sides. I've had to remove people's guns too. It's heartbreaking. It took me 2 months to get mine back. I argued that though yes, I was stressed, shooting was my relaxation, some people do golf, others fishing, mine was shooting.

All I can say mate is go with the flow. You will get em back

"Sleeping tablets due to stress" - oh oh!

STRESS = bye bye guns

I know several people that have lost FAC's that way. As soon as the magic stress word is mentioned, that's it...

The current application form refers to "Acute Stress" rather than just "stress". I know because I sent off my renewal today and went through the notes with a microscope - on the vastly increased application form. As has been said - speak to your GP - rapidly.

I have spoken to my Dr and they are fully on side.

No association yet you hold guns.

It is not a legal requirement to do so I believe? I was a member of the NGO when I was running my shoot, but not at the moment as I do not (and have not) shot for a number of years.

If I were to go back to shooting seriously, then I would re-join.

I cant believe this, everyone at some point in their lives is going to go through a stressful period. Does this suggest that if someone goes to the doctor or loses a job, loved one etc etc etc the immediate assumption is that they are going to lose the plot are wreak havoc with whatever guns they hold? I am sure it will cause balanced and responsible gun owners to think twice about going to the doctors which surely is worse.

I would be extremely worried if I had been prescribed sleeping tablets or been to see my GP with some stress related issue and then armed police arrive at my house. If they feel the need to remove someones guns on this basis them I assume they will also confiscate any blunt instruments, edged tools, kitchen knives, chainsaws.... the list goes on!

I absolutely agree that the police need to protect the public but this implies a massive lack of trust on lawful gun owners.

I cant believe this, everyone at some point in their lives is going to go through a stressful period. Does this suggest that if someone goes to the doctor or loses a job, loved one etc etc etc the immediate assumption is that they are going to lose the plot are wreak havoc with whatever guns they hold? I am sure it will cause balanced and responsible gun owners to think twice about going to the doctors which surely is worse.

I would be extremely worried if I had been prescribed sleeping tablets or been to see my GP with some stress related issue and then armed police arrive at my house. If they feel the need to remove someones guns on this basis them I assume they will also confiscate any blunt instruments, edged tools, kitchen knives, chainsaws.... the list goes on!

I absolutely agree that the police need to protect the public but this implies a massive lack of trust on lawful gun owners.

The problem is that in the past - in cases where the police should have confiscated firearms - they didn't, and a number of tragic incidents have occurred.

So now the police have to err on the side of caution.

Thinking in the cold light of day having slept on it, I can see the police position to a certain extent: They had a report that I had guns in the house and obviously had a duty to investigate.

I would be very surprised if they had not checked on a computer to see if I did or did not hold a valid SGC so one can assume that they did know that I do hold a valid 'ticket' but still had to check.

During the course of the conversation / inspection when it was mentioned if I was on any medication - as previously described I am - stuff for gout, painkillers from a recent operation and said sleeping tablets - this must of caused concern that coupled with the report, regardless of it being unfounded, they had to do what they did.

Having spoken to a close friend, the general thought is that the report was made knowing the likely reaction - in a village it's a bit of a talking point to see armed police turning up at a Parish Councillor's house.

I may be wrong, but I think spite played a major part in this.

Why on earth did you say "Stress". You could simply have said pain killers, and sleeping tablets because you weren't sleeping very well after the operation.

I think you must make it clear to the police that you are NOT stressed out over anything and that this is a case of sheer spite.

18 months ago we had a row with the next door neighbour over her vicious dog who barked incessantly for hour after hour. Out of the blue she had the dog destroyed and then came round to my house, burst in and assaulted my disabled wife. I pushed her out of the house and called the police who, to their great credit, arrived within minutes. She had made threats to me that if I pursued the case she would say that I had threatened her with a gun.

I couldn't be blackmailed like this and told the police officers what she had said. They were savvy enough to see it for what it was and put the case before the CPS who took it all the way to court where she pleaded guilty............... and was given a slap on the wrist. The police had a quiet word with me and took no further action regarding my firearms/shotguns as they were aware of the spiteful nature of the accusation..............It was an unnerving thing to have gone through though.

She is still up her own ***** but doesn't realise the mess she will be in when her job as a care assistant in a local care home goes down the pan when her CRB/DBS check is due.........as she now has a criminal record.

You would think the police would see it for what it is, but once you mentioned the word "Stress" you sealed your own fate.

G

I may be wrong, but I think spite played a major part in this.

No doubt it did and unfortunately you have no idea what was said. The cops weren't up front with you because they absolutely must have known you were legal. My FEO dropped round the other day to bring my renewal and we had a decent chat, some of which was to do with carrying the SGC or a copy when transporting guns. Any officer can perform an online check anywhere and at any time. He also mentioned that the current position of the police is that any mention of medication or certain medical conditions raises a warning flag.

The sad reality is that, with total disregard for the expectations of the citizenry and as a result of repeatedly bullying successive Home Secretaries into submission over the last 20 years, the police have become pretty much unstoppable and a law unto themselves. The obsessions with Risk Avoidance and Political Correctness are, in their eyes, if not those of the general public, the real policing priorities nowadays.

Stress is taken by the authorities as a serious possibility of a lack of sound judgement and an over reaction to heightened emotions, add a gun into the mix and they get all ringtwitchy so off with those guns into "safe hands" at the station.

Any shooter going to a doctor for general "stress at work" should really be warned about what you are actually saying, how it is recorded by the doctor and how it is reported by the doctor and how you report it on your renewal.

I bet many shooters tell this spite story and its impact to their happily married/live in partners ........ who never forget it......... then when your turn for a split up comes around ........ knock knock, we had a (spite) report of guns at the property....... blah blah..... tell it to the judge we are just doing our job etc.

I got divorced 18 months ago and handed my guns over to a RFD when it was going on as i didn't need any more hassle...the licenceing unit phoned me up and asked why I didn't tell them I was going thru a divorce...I told them I didn't need to and do they want a call from my solicitor explain that to them,i told them my guns were with a RFD and they left it at that....