Paying a butcher

Aside from selling shot game to game dealers, has anyone ever paid a butcher to prepare shot game for them? As in you've shot a deer but don't want to butcher it yourself so pay the butcher to do it for you?

i asked the very question to my local village butcher-got an absolute no way-any meat not ear tagged could be seen as source of infection and a risk to his business.

shame as i wanted it hung for a couple of weeks to mature before cutting up.

f.

Yeah, don't really have the space and facilities though. Can't carry it across the road from my car in the middle of the street and take it apart on the kitchen floor really.

Ha!

Many a thriving business do little else in New Zealand.

All sorts of options available re the off cut portions....burgers, sausages, etc. of different flavors & a wide choice of spices, etc.

Very good prices & fast turnaround time.

Pity more butchers here don't offer a similar sideline.

Yes I've had deer butchered. Shoot a cull stag in July and if you don't have a chill to hang it, it'll be wasted.

I have paid £150 to have a stag properly hung and butchered. Roe deer are easier to do yourself, but expect to pay £50 - £60 for s proper job.

Had a large fallow buck jointed down for me as I couldn't even move the thing. Cost be 12 rabbits.

That's the only time I have asked the butcher. Most of the time I can drop them down into major joint groups while they hang and then in winter I can finish them on the chopping table in the garden of just take them out the house in bits and finish on the kitchen work top.

In all truth, most of the time I quick stop and Wacker them in the mincer for burgers or sausages now days. Only Christmas do I joined out a few roe and vac PAC for farmers. By a few it's normally 5 roe.

Yeah, don't really have the space and facilities though. Can't carry it across the road from my car in the middle of the street and take it apart on the kitchen floor really.

Ha!

Why not? It really doesnae take much room. my mate used to hang deer of his kids swing wrapped in muslin/hessian or i have some game bag things to keep flies off. I've seen his kids playingaway on swings with deer hanging of it.

He butchers the deer there as well. And he lives smack bang in the middle of town with plenty of houses looking on to him.

It really doesnae take much room. Any tree in garden or peice of timber to put a hook in, even take it out to woods to do. A lot of other countries butcher them on the deck and use the inside of skin as a sterile work surface.

At a basic level really not that hard to butcher a deer. It really is just like a big rabbit. There is a fair bit of skill involved to do it well but doing it for urself is mainly common sense.

Anything Roe size or smaller u will really just be taking the 4 legs off, ur tender loins (inside spine on gut side) and ur back straps/loins outside along spine.

I'm pretty much self taught originally and picked up a few things from training days mates etc.

On the bigger deer i usually split the haunch but even that is fairly easy as u are just seperating different muscles and all are encased in there own sinew? type stuff so they just really peel away and u hardly need a knife.

I've showed a few folk the basics but make it clear to them there is far better/more skilled/experienced folk than me to learn off.

But its 1 of them skills the more u do it u get better each time and are as well just getting stuck in about it. Like i said not rocket science at a basic level.

The have been some butchery nights organised here on the forum where demonstrations are given for anything we shoot.

It's been a little while since I've seen one being held.

Collin......your que

Edited by Cosd

I took 2 roe bucks into my local butcher,

Skinned,jointed up in to all the main joints, few burgers and diced bags for £20

Must admit at that money i would probably take my deer there too. Thats good value.

Only thing about watching clips on utube there will be some shockers (not watched that 1 thou) seen some skinning deer with pick up trucks and a new gralloching tool the gut shark i think it was called, most ridiculus invention i've ever seen, green/p**s and **** all over the inside of carcass

Usually at game fairs or the stalking fair up in kelso, as well as best practice days etc do butchery demo's. Only prob is if u havnae got a beast to do shortly after it u forget all the top tips, plus those boys make it look so easy.

Best way is just to get stuck into 1 or get a mate to tell u but let u do it, thats generaly wot i do when doing a deer for someone just supervise and let them do it.

Snh do (did) a really good bes practice guide a really think folder with all best practice advise including gralloching and butchery, was only10 quid or something, really cheap. Think the DI might do something similar too

Love the ladders; brilliant idea. Where do you hang them Owain?

As for selling them to the general public; you to have a Hygiene Certificate before anything could be passed into the food chain.

http://www.lincolnshiredeergroup.co.uk/game-meat-legislation/

Used to cost £80 but is now @ £100 - £120 if you go through one of our illustrious shooting organisations.

And they wonder why so few of us bother.

G

Cheers Graham, me and my mate have a big industrial fridge in his garage that we hang our game in. There was a couple of butchers round here that used to do them, but one closed down and the other wanted £40 to butcher them and it was a 80 mile round trip.

My 1 piece of advice is fairly obvious who ever butchers it. But for years i never bothered, my chest freezer used to be a lucky dip wot dead animal u came out with

Date and label everything u stick in freezer, and write it on the bags. Just empited and moved my chest freezer yest and a load of paper labels have fell off voarious bags of random frozem meat.

Also quite nice when u pull a bag of meat out nd u can see date and remember the days u shot/stalked into the deer, or even with a pheasant or duck u might remember that day for a good bird or something else happened.

i think it is quite a nice attachment to the meat, sort of completes the circle, esp if u butchered it (and potentially reared it if a pheasant)

Ps if u have room add 'where' too as u will remember the day as u pull it out freezer and again while cooking/eating it

Edited by scotslad

The BDS do run butchery and lardering days. There was one up at Rhug estate here in north Wales a couple of months ago. Very good too.

Yes, I went that NGO and BDS demo at Rhug, really good and bought some of the butchered venison at great price. It really isn't that difficult to do it yourself. Very useful tips from the butcher which apply to most carcasses.

The stories of humane dispatch of the Buffalo were also interesting.

Edited by Fisheruk

If you can do the health checks worth a jot you can certainly make the carcass into food

If you can't do the heath checks correctly - there is yours gamble.

Not surprised some butchers won't let them on thier premises. That's a good butcher!