.45-70 for fox!

I know somebody who has just added fox to his .45-70 Ruger No1. He asked and they said no by phone. His reply was send me a letter explaining your reasons and the amended FAC came back in the post. This is in Wales I hasten to add where the FEOs have a sensible approach to licencing compared to things I hear of in London

Now the point of this post is to suggest that BASC or somebody ought to compile a running list of who has which calibre for which quarry. So that precidents can be established.

For example, if I applied for fox on my .303 in London I would be laughed at. But a .303 is way more than enough to drop a fox. More flexibility is required.

Edited by Vince Green

Have fox on all CFs i have biggest is a 7mm STW. Its not the calibre of the rifle that matters its other factors the various authoritys take in to account. If you show experience and prove you know what you are doing and know how to do it safely i think you could get most rounds for fox. All they want is you to present your case and show exactly why you need it and how you are going to go on with it once issued.

There is no point each case should and must be decided on its own merit.

A while back I hit an issue ( prior to the budget cuts that slackened up Licencing in my area) too many rifles I had were listed for vermin - apparently!

Why might anyone want a 45-70 for fox? There is no valid reason other than they wanted a minimum amount of guns held and adding say a 223 is sort of counter productive to were the aims of Licencing dept have a focus. OK I know that's is not how it's supposed to be - but it is

Will putting a silly gun on for fox prevent you adding one more suited to the application of say foxes? Could well do!

Why is a .45-70 a silly gun for fox? It has almost the same ballistic energy (1300ft/lbs) as a .223 (1200 ft/lbs) The point is when you already have the rifle and the loading gear and are familiar with it why would you want to spend a grand or more on a different rifle for a few outings a year?

The problem comes from the list of so called approved calibres in the guidelines and the "computer say no" attitude if a calibre doesn't appear on that list.

Interesting topic and something that I have been thinking about for a while now. I have Winchester Legacy 24" barrel in .357Mag and would love to use it as a woodland fox gun. A 158grn flat point moving relatively lowly would be ideal for shooting through brush without deviating. And it would be safer than shooting a high velocity rifle in thick woodland where visibility could be compromised.

Anyone else shoot this calibre for fox???

G

ooops sorry Chris just re-read the post

Edited by Graham M

The main thing is good reason to possess isn't it and most forces are sensible with listing fox on a larger calibre when the calibre has been allowed for a larger species. The problem comes when someone applies for a larger than 223 just for fox and it is the case that many new FAC holders get on a ' how big can I get' rush. Gloucestershire have this problem with 243 specifically for fox, fine if you are shooting over the Yorkshire dales with a raging Northerly but it just isn't necessary really. I was the same when I got my first rimmies but luckily I got the 243 for deer and fox (as roe were on the list), now with a few years experience I feel the opposite and wish I could get my hornet listed for small deer species and 243 for piggies (even though I have a 308 in the cabinet.)

Edited by Redgum

I personaly think if the government in the form of the police put all this caliber nonsense out of the way, and put that effort into deciding if the PERSON is suitable rather than this gun that gun this expanding bullet that caliber for this quary etc. Its really not that important.

And it could eisily reduce the number of guns a hunter owns. No body in his right mind wants to spend a grand ot two on yet another rifle do they.

As it is now and what with the DEER legal calibre laws the way they are its just stupid, its causing a lot of people to have more guns than they need and its not like its making anyone safer because of a given caliber.

Interesting topic and something that I have been thinking about for a while now. I have Winchester Legacy 24" barrel in .357Mag and would love to use it as a woodland fox gun. A 158grn flat point moving relatively lowly would be ideal for shooting through brush without deviating. And it would be safer than shooting a high velocity rifle in thick woodland where visibility could be compromised.

Anyone else shoot this calibre for fox???

G

ooops sorry Chris just re-read the post

tbh iv only taken it into the field a few times as it was bought mainly for range plinking but iv taken it up in the high seat along with my 308 and its taken 3 close fox so far this year, all at sub 50 yards where the buckhorn sights are more than acurate enough

158 gr hollow points are more than enough for close range fox :)

I personaly think if the government in the form of the police put all this caliber nonsense out of the way, and put that effort into deciding if the PERSON is suitable rather than this gun that gun this expanding bullet that caliber for this quary etc. Its really not that important.

And it could eisily reduce the number of guns a hunter owns. No body in his right mind wants to spend a grand ot two on yet another rifle do they.

As it is now and what with the DEER legal calibre laws the way they are its just stupid, its causing a lot of people to have more guns than they need and its not like its making anyone safer because of a given caliber.

Agreed.

Why is a .45-70 a silly gun for fox? It has almost the same ballistic energy (1300ft/lbs) as a .223 (1200 ft/lbs)

FYI, Trapdoor loads might be 1300 ftlbs but a Ruger No.1 can launch a 300gr pill at 2600fps; approx 4500 ftlb. Either should be adequate for fox with proper bullet placement ;-)

Just ask for solid slug to be put on your ticket for shotguning fox, they'll be glad to grant much anything else.

The one and only thing that should matter is what ft lbs are required to humanly dispatch fox or any qaurry then any caliber capable should be valid.

Edited by figgy

Just ask for solid slug to be put on your ticket for shotguning fox, they'll be glad to grant much anything else.

The one and only thing that should matter is what ft lbs are required to humanly dispatch fox or any qaurry then any caliber capable should be valid.

Agree.