Welding on a classic Beetle

scobydog

Hi all,

I am looking for someone who could do some welding on a classic beetle for it's mot, usual floor chassis area it has been marked up by the tester with chalk so you can see it clearly. I am near Stockport but am willing to travel within say 40 miles for someone to do it. It still has mot so is driveable, I would have done it myself but brought up using oxy and can't really be bothered with all the regs to get new cylinders and torches and start over again.

Scobydog

Hi all,

I am looking for someone who could do some welding on a classic beetle for it's mot, usual floor chassis area it has been marked up by the tester with chalk so you can see it clearly. I am near Stockport but am willing to travel within say 40 miles for someone to do it. It still has mot so is driveable, I would have done it myself but brought up using oxy and can't really be bothered with all the regs to get new cylinders and torches and start over again.

Scobydog

hello, buy your self a small mig welder?

hello, buy your self a small mig welder?

Hi, I did think seriously about doing that but I am probably going to replace the floors in a couple of years so just want the patching up for now. Also unfortunately don't have time to do it as we are building an extension and looking to do most of it myself or as much as I can anyway to keep costs down a bit.

S

Hi, I did think seriously about doing that but I am probably going to replace the floors in a couple of years so just want the patching up for now. Also unfortunately don't have time to do it as we are building an extension and looking to do most of it myself or as much as I can anyway to keep costs down a bit.

S

ok understand, well i hope you can get it sorted

Plus 1 on the cheap mig welder, they come in for all sorts of DIY projects and are not that expensive.

If you get one of the cheap nasty SIPs 130 migmate etc, they can run gasless, which is great for outdoors and it saves a gas canister or further hastle geting a bottle for a start.

Plus 1 on the cheap mig welder, they come in for all sorts of DIY projects and are not that expensive.

If you get one of the cheap nasty SIPs 130 migmate etc, they can run gasless, which is great for outdoors and it saves a gas canister or further hastle geting a bottle for a start.

Hi, had a look at these sort and they do seem good value but it is mainly a time thing for me, when I do the full floors I will buy a good mig and get some practice first but that is a couple of years away yet.

S

That is logical i must say i am no big mig fan myself i come from a time of oxy acetelene, i have had a decent mig or two over the years, but never really used them for anything other than tacking panells on wheel arches etc back in the day.

I must say gasless is acctualy quite good when you get used to it, i changed the unbilical to a proper steel one the cheap acrylic one jamed too much and affected feed thus weld quality.

Bit expensive the fluxed wire but it is good outside if there is a bit of breese on.

I do a lot of motorcycle frames hard tail conversions etc, i use Gas or an ancient Oil cooled arc welder the toy Sip mig i dont use very often, acctualy had given by a mate who could not get it working hense the steel unbilical swap

That is logical i must say i am no big mig fan myself i come from a time of oxy acetelene, i have had a decent mig or two over the years, but never really used them for anything other than tacking panells on wheel arches etc back in the day.

I must say gasless is acctualy quite good when you get used to it, i changed the unbilical to a proper steel one the cheap acrylic one jamed too much and affected feed thus weld quality.

Bit expensive the fluxed wire but it is good outside if there is a bit of breese on.

I do a lot of motorcycle frames hard tail conversions etc, i use Gas or an ancient Oil cooled arc welder the toy Sip mig i dont use very often, acctualy had given by a mate who could not get it working hense the steel unbilical swap

Wow an oil cooled arc, we had 1 years ago I think it was called a Bantam or something to do with chickens, not seen 1 for a while now.

S

Wow an oil cooled arc, we had 1 years ago I think it was called a Bantam or something to do with chickens, not seen 1 for a while now.

S

Cytringham Bantam, Mate had one, ours is my dads old OXford same sort of thing has a dual range on the Oxford its got to be 50 probably 60 ydears old it was there when i was a toddler so it has to be.

Welded one years ago from back to front..

NEVER AGAIN..

Box section below and behind engine a bloody nightmare, The floor had 2" of water in when he towed it to me,, He said his daughter loved it,,, me and my lads didn't..

Told him to scrap it in the first place,£1000 He paid, He hadn't paid me a penny with this cost.??.

Electrics were burnt out,as the boy friend tried to fit a radio, Resprayed it as well..

Had to laugh before electrics were fixed,mechanic slammed door shut to put ramp up,,

The lights came on,,???.

As said NEVER again...

That sounds like a lot of them subsonic ha ha , this 1 is a karmann convertible so worth having the welding done, i'm not looking forward to doing the full floors as it will have to be braced like mad to stop it from sagging when I lift the body off, might even buy a chassis that needs the floors and lift the body straight on to that one when I do it, like I said 2 yrs at least., I will try to get a pic on if I can work out how to do it.

S

Forgot to mention I rewired it @ 6 months ago so that is all good now.

Edited by scobydog

This is the last one i worked on , a 1960 1200, a complete rebuild. The floor pan was in amazing condition, even more so after shot blast, etch prime, primer, coat of stone chip, more primer then top coat. All the 60s beetles i worked on had far less corrosion than later ones.

post-52836-0-21157600-1463311149_thumb.png

post-52836-0-85750400-1463311175_thumb.png

Nice job there la bala, brother in law has a 54 tin top he bought it a couple of years ago from Sweden with original floors still in it, besides a bit of paintwork he hasn't had to do anything else to it. He regularly wins awards at shows for best original 50s car, but it don't half make your ears bleed after a while doing over 45mph in it ha ha.

S

That sounds like a lot of them subsonic ha ha , this 1 is a karmann convertible so worth having the welding done, i'm not looking forward to doing the full floors as it will have to be braced like mad to stop it from sagging when I lift the body off, might even buy a chassis that needs the floors and lift the body straight on to that one when I do it, like I said 2 yrs at least., I will try to get a pic on if I can work out how to do it.

S

Forgot to mention I rewired it @ 6 months ago so that is all good now.

You shouldnt need to brace anything when removing body from floor pan. If you renew heater channels brace the body, as they keep the body rigid. :good:

Cytringham Bantam, Mate had one, ours is my dads old OXford same sort of thing has a dual range on the Oxford its got to be 50 probably 60 ydears old it was there when i was a toddler so it has to be.

Still got my cytringham 250 amp 400v twin phase. You can weld for 6 hours flat out and it barely feels warm. And also compared to modern inverter sets it welds so smooth.

Edited by bornfree

Cheers LB, when it gets the new floors I will strip the body and do a full respray in the original blue, luckily the engine is really good so don't have to do anything in that dept.

S

Patching a few bits to get through the test this time, when your going to do it properly latter, is going to be expensive for what you are getting done.

Gas welding would be your bbest option for doing a half decent job, it wont need as much prep grinding away any already thin metal, and if the welder is experienced he will have a better chance with oxy acet of not blowing away too much of what’s there.

The problem is the hourly rate required and the hours these jobs eat up without any real way of saying how much the bill will come to

I do odd ones for certain customers. I am sure there is someone nearer to Stockport though think £ 30 an hour