Transition to more difficult clays

davids3511

Ive been shooting since Demember, shot (at) about 3000 clays since then, mostly at Worsley in Manchester. I can hit 23/25 on most of the practise stands but when I turn right intead into the competition stands I can't hit the proverbial with a banjo. Kind people were stopping today to try and help and advise me, I was that bad. How do I bridge the gap?

Ive been shooting since Demember, shot (at) about 3000 clays since then, mostly at Worsley in Manchester. I can hit 23/25 on most of the practise stands but when I turn right intead into the competition stands I can't hit the proverbial with a banjo. Kind people were stopping today to try and help and advise me, I was that bad. How do I bridge the gap?

The transition from practice stands to competition is exactly as you describe for almost everyone, nothing unusual in finding the going a bit rough at first because practice stands are always set up on the easy side just to get people to familiarise themselves with the whole thing.

My advice would be to see if you can join a helpful couple of shooters and just blast away for a few weeks, slowly you will learn about things like pick up points, stance and address but after a few months it won't hurt to get a lesson or three as well.

The transition from practice stands to competition is exactly as you describe for almost everyone, nothing unusual in finding the going a bit rough at first because practice stands are always set up on the easy side just to get people to familiarise themselves with the whole thing.

My advice would be to see if you can join a helpful couple of shooters and just blast away for a few weeks, slowly you will learn about things like pick up points, stance and address but after a few months it won't hurt to get a lesson or three as well.

Pretty much this^^

I was lucky enough to start shooting with friends who were more experienced and they helped me out. If you`re on your own it will be more difficult to improve. Try and find some experienced shooters you can tag along with. If you don`t know any then maybe post an advert on here letting people know where you are and you`ll probably get an invite or two. Failing that try and get friendly with some people at your ground and ask if you can tag along with them. On the whole shooters are a friendly bunch and most will be willing to offer tips here and there.

But there`s no magic solution to suddenly becoming good. It takes practice and putting a lot of lead in the air. Maybe try some skeet and DTL if your ground has it. Those disciplines will improve some areas of your shooting.

If you`re desperate enough to take a trip across the Penines come up to our ground and I`ll try and help you out one Sunday. I`m not a professional coach but I`m sure I could give you some pointers. Drop me a pm if you`re interested.

If your shooting Manchester you're not a million miles from me. Why not try the Wild Boar near Macclesfield next Sunday, testing targets but not at stupid ranges and plenty of people to give advice. I've only been back shooting for about 8 months after an 11 year lay-off and am finding I'm starting to improve more quickly by shooting different venues rather than sticking to one shoot.

I also really benefitted from a lesson at Holland and Holland, a good instructor will immediately see problems you didn't know you had!

If your shooting Manchester you're not a million miles from me. Why not try the Wild Boar near Macclesfield next Sunday, testing targets but not at stupid ranges and plenty of people to give advice. I've only been back shooting for about 8 months after an 11 year lay-off and am finding I'm starting to improve more quickly by shooting different venues rather than sticking to one shoot.

I also really benefitted from a lesson at Holland and Holland, a good instructor will immediately see problems you didn't know you had!

I can't next Sunday, it's my first day at Altrincham clay shooting club (who knew!). They shoot in groups and seem a great group of lads so will probably get loads of advise there. But I will keep your advise I mind, I do trip down to Mickley Hall once a month or so which I find a little easier but will head over to Macclesfield in the next month or so. Cheers.

Do you mean Holland & Holland in Middlesex?

Pretty much this^^

I was lucky enough to start shooting with friends who were more experienced and they helped me out. If you`re on your own it will be more difficult to improve. Try and find some experienced shooters you can tag along with. If you don`t know any then maybe post an advert on here letting people know where you are and you`ll probably get an invite or two. Failing that try and get friendly with some people at your ground and ask if you can tag along with them. On the whole shooters are a friendly bunch and most will be willing to offer tips here and there.

But there`s no magic solution to suddenly becoming good. It takes practice and putting a lot of lead in the air. Maybe try some skeet and DTL if your ground has it. Those disciplines will improve some areas of your shooting.

If you`re desperate enough to take a trip across the Penines come up to our ground and I`ll try and help you out one Sunday. I`m not a professional coach but I`m sure I could give you some pointers. Drop me a pm if you`re interested.

Worsley had just started ABT on a Wednesday, no idea what that is though. I might take you up on the offer of some help if I continue to struggle, really appreciate that. Thank you.

Worsley had just started ABT on a Wednesday, no idea what that is though. I might take you up on the offer of some help if I continue to struggle, really appreciate that. Thank you.

ABT is automatic ball trap. It`s similar to DTL (down the line) but as well as the clays coming out in a random 22.5 degree angle the elevation also changes. Quite a difficult discipline.

You`re welcome anytime. Just drop me a pm.

I would respectfully suggest you give Beretta on here a call, he is an excellent coach and lives north wales but does visit Worsley. He has a website and you will be able to see from that as to his worth. There are dozens of people that he has enabled to go onto better things I don't know how to put up links on here but the website is...

www.clayshootingcoach.com

Hope this helps you..from Auntie.

Edited by 100milesaway

Beretta :good: - do search on site

This bloke helps me, from where you are to looking at going up in class. There is a lot to this hitting clays business and a firm foundation is needed to build a decent score from. I waited 5 years before going and it cost me a lot to undo the bad ingrained practices I had been using. Www.clayshooting coach.com