Doctors fees for SGC - and extra £20!

danro

This will get out of control, I do not see why I should pay for some flag on my records that I neither want or need if the powers that be want such a system to monitor my health then they should pay. It will become a postcode lottery on how much you pay be that £20 or possible £100 who's says how much the doctor can charge. £20 pay up and shut up but will you feel the same when it is £100?

All getting very silly, we should all pay the same fee direct to the police and any costs in obtaining medical information should be included as not every application will require it so it should even out across the thousands of applications.

I whole heartedly agree.

But once a few Doctors have sent out invoices following the Police request for details and they start to go unpaid, how long until the invoice will come to you and the work will only be carried out when you have paid up?

A busy day that he is already extremely well paid for and I doubt it will be the GP putting the flag in your records but the receptionist.

As I say I doubt it will stay at £20 just ask your GP how much he charges for pilots licence medical information.

Yes but their busy day and handsome salaries should be about seeing/ treating patients not paperwork for applications be it guns, trucks or planes. If you need specs you pay for them- if you need a doctor to say your fit/unfit to hold a license you pay for it. Simple as that really

But you need to reflect on why the medical information is required or your health needs to be monitored in the first place go back to the very first firearms act, I personally do not want the licence it is society that wants to know the people who own guns are fit to do so and hence it is why for the wider good of society that society contributes to the costs.

I can remember the days when only certain high standing members of society could counter sign a licence application and as now a doctor was such a person and not all doctors wanted to sign so they pushed you away by stating a very high fee to do so.

Hence I do not share your confidence that this will not be abused by the GPs and with none of the fee setting process that goes into the government/police fees we will see doctors charging many hundreds of pounds to provide the medical information to the police after all they are businesses and just like any business they are in it to make a profit.

As I have said once before on here..

Talking to a doctors wife while walking the dog,She asked me not to complain about doctors notes for what ever reason,,NOT Flagging of gun ownership I might add..

That it was her Pin money,so don't rattle the cage so to speak..????.

As an op said,,, cash cows later on,,Have a good holiday on me,,Yer Right..

why should you pay you did not agree a contract with the police or the GP

This is where I'm coming from. I have no problem paying fees that are due and agreed.

But

• this was not agreed,
  • there was no mention of the possibility of it on the paperwork I submitted (though the current version now includes it)
  • The request for payment has come VERY late - after the expiration of my original certificate
  • the GPs have not followed the guidelines of the BMI with respect to fees, time scales etc
  • My certificate was granted and I know my medical condition is such that a report (that should be charged for) is not necessary

So I feel I was being charged for work that was not done, without my consent.

Yes they responded to the police request, but that form has been designed to cause as little impact as possible to the GP. To tap my name into the database and see my history would be considerably less than 4 minutes work - IF it were a doctor that did it - and that I very much doubt would happen anyway.

I'll see what they send me and quite possibly challenge their decision based on the BMI guidelines. I'll let you know how they respond.

Thanks everyone

Where do the new forms say you have to pay for the records marker to be placed on your file?, it says you may be required to pay for a medical report if they ask you to provide one.

If the police wish to have a marker placed on your GP's records then they should pay for it.

This will get out of control, I do not see why I should pay for some flag on my records that I neither want or need if the powers that be want such a system to monitor my health then they should pay. It will become a postcode lottery on how much you pay be that £20 or possible £100 who's says how much the doctor can charge. £20 pay up and shut up but will you feel the same when it is £100?

All getting very silly, we should all pay the same fee direct to the police and any costs in obtaining medical information should be included as not every application will require it so it should even out across the thousands of applications.

I agree, however just to clarify.

This will apply to EVERY application or renewal after 1st April as it is now national policy for everyones GP to be contacted as a matter of course.

The only inconstancistancy will be which GP's make a charge and for those that do how much they charge.

You would think that after all this time, and all the time spent negotiating by our shooting organisations, that all would be clearly set out in black and white, yet here we are again....

Why is there always this uncertainty, confusion and sense of bewildered frustration when it comes to the firearms licensing procedure?

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I would say it's done by design.

You would think that after all this time, and all the time spent negotiating by our shooting organisations, that all would be clearly set out in black and white, yet here we are again....

Why is there always this uncertainty, confusion and sense of bewildered frustration when it comes to the firearms licensing procedure?

• 2 weeks later...

Nowt compaired to a rod licence,£27 a year and if i want to dip more than 2 rods in the water then its another £27.Will never moan about the price of SG/FAC ever again.Just a matter of time before they cotton on and say you have to pay twice if you have more than 2 guns lol.

Edited by Davyo

It all depends on your doctor. Mine was contacted by Staff's & West Mid's last October to see if there was anything in my medical records that may be of concern.

As there wasn't anything he didn't bother to reply.

I only found this out when I needed a print-out of my medical history for another reason and the request was on there.

G

Simply its a mess Scully an absolute shambles and rather increasingling worrying.Put the fee up at a level that will cover the medical (compulsary) but PRIORITY should be to shake up this joke of a licencing authority.

As for people saying they havent seen a doctor in years.How many certificate holders out there suffer from depression or alcoholism,drugs ect & simply wont go to the docs in fear of losing their certs.

If i were a doctor id be worried about getting prosecuted if someone they signed as fit went nuts,would the police say well "the doctor said he was fit".I beleive the doctor should release your med files but let the licencing authority say yes or no.Just looks like they are wanting to put blame on the doctors(scape goat) if someone goes nutty .Its just a ruddy mess and absolute shambles and the general puplic have a genuine right to be concerned as do certificate holders.When i held FAC/SGC i found it quite shocking the incompatance @ fist hand.Everything from wrong names on certificates to guns we didnt even own,to being refered to as "not that old man again & his threats to get BASC involved ".

Edited by Davyo

Simply its a mess Scully an absolute shambles and rather increasingling worrying.Put the fee up at a level that will cover the medical (compulsary)

I'm not really sure how a compulsory medical would work. A GP is hardly qualified . My mates have medicals for their Class 1's, some of whom own firearms. It does nothing to determine anyones mental health and would have had no effect on the outcome of Hungerfored, Dunblane or Cockermouth. Athertons circumstances were noted by his GP, who was then ignored. Perhaps it isn't the applicant who needs testing? but PRIORITY should be to shake up this joke of a licencing authority.

As for people saying they havent seen a doctor in years.How many certificate holders out there suffer from depression or alcoholism,drugs ect & simply wont go to the docs in fear of losing their certs. So are you now suggesting firearms owners have compulsory visits to their GP's?

If i were a doctor id be worried about getting prosecuted if someone they signed as fit went nuts,would the police say well "the doctor said he was fit". ​GP's cannot be held responsible, and certainly not for something that may happen in the future, nor should they be. I beleive the doctor should release your med files :hmm: but let the licencing authority say yes or no.Just looks like they are wanting to put blame on the doctors(scape goat) if someone goes nutty .Its just a ruddy mess and absolute shambles and the general puplic have a genuine right to be concerned as do certificate holders.When i held FAC/SGC i found it quite shocking the incompatance @ fist hand.Everything from wrong names on certificates to guns we didnt even own,to being refered to as "not that old man again & his threats to get BASC involved ".

The situation will never change while the force responsible for maintaining law and order is also responsible for firearms administration. They complain they are undermanned and under financed regarding the licensing procedures but steadfastly resist all suggestions it is removed from their control.

Be careful what you wish for.

We were told that gas, electric and water would be cheaper if it was taken off the big corporations and hived off into the private sector. Now, years later, we watch in total disbelief as those same private companies have leapfrogged over one another to hike the price to an unbelievable high.

Do you honestly think a private company would settle for simply recovering their costs and not try to make as much out of it as possible. After all, their shareholders won't be very happy if the price isn't continually going up......................................................and up......................................................and up

G

Edited by Graham M