Sub 12ft lb .25 cal

figgy

Just watched the latest vermin hunters tv video and at the end a future video will be on the Weirauch snipe .25 cal that Sandwell field sports do. Even though it's a loopy trajectory it didn't half drop stuff and seemed very accurate even at 60 yards.

My thoughts were it was only any good at close ranges like barns but now I'm wondering if I was wrong, with more and more becoming available pellet choice should increase too.

What's your views on this gun and the caliber.

I use .25 cal for Ratting. Very hard hitting stops them dead. Excellent for close range work. There`s loads of .25 cal pellets now.

I have .22 and .177 as well but for barns and pig pens i like the .25 cal best. .25 Cal do drop of badly after 30 yds.

RWS are doing Hollow points. Superdomes. Pointed.

Have a look at. www.airgunpellet.co.uk www.pelletperfect.co.uk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCoTEWpxVas

The video is the AA 410 hunting in a horse paddock but at the end the last five minutes or so is the snipe .25 coming in a future video.

hello, quite impressive .25 rifle and looks a full 12ft llb, from what range they were shooting i would not use in barns. i would not think much pellet drop out to 50mtrs

hello, quite impressive .25 rifle and looks a full 12ft llb, from what range they were shooting i would not use in barns. i would not think much pellet drop out to 50mtrs

will be interesting to see a review

60 yards under field conditions with a 22 sub 12 ft lb is darn near impossible to use for a humane shot

Take a look at ft scores with tricked up 177 and they are only on 40 mm targets at range. With the most practiced pellet steerers in the country

It's a fun thing to try but you won't find many 30 yard rats and ferals shot with a 22 in the same places dieing any slower

60 yards under field conditions with a 22 sub 12 ft lb is darn near impossible to use for a humane shot

Take a look at ft scores with tricked up 177 and they are only on 40 mm targets at range. With the most practiced pellet steerers in the country

It's a fun thing to try but you won't find many 30 yard rats and ferals shot with a 22 in the same places dieing any slower

will be interesting to see a review

although i think he gave those shots quite a hold over. i do not think you can beat a .22 at 10/11ft llbs to shoot around and in barns

Kent have a watch of the videos. They call some clear misses when it happens no matter what caliber they using. The .25 must be like a morter coming into the pigeons at 60 yards but it works.

The ft boys may well shoot at 40 mm targets but in plenty of videos these boys hit smaller targets at 60 yards plus time and again.

Edited by figgy

Anything works to a degree once you mark the fall and wind

When I competed at ft we often did fun 100 yard shoots on perfect days. Amazing what some guns shot

It's the first shot not the second third Forth or tenth etc.

This is why I said ft competitive it's one shot and it's not too hard to sort the very best from the rest or the final winner

But yes it will smart a bit again so will a 22

The interesting thing about a 25 is the bigger the cal the less the piston bounce ( transfer port allowing) useful in some lively spring guns

I use .25 cal for Ratting. Very hard hitting stops them dead. Excellent for close range work. There`s loads of .25 cal pellets now.

I have .22 and .177 as well but for barns and pig pens i like the .25 cal best. .25 Cal do drop of badly after 30 yds.

RWS are doing Hollow points. Superdomes. Pointed.

Have a look at. www.airgunpellet.co.uk www.pelletperfect.co.uk

Me too my two favoured guns for ratting are my .25 Falcon FN19 carbine and my 9mm rim-fire for running targets .

Choice of pellets has come on considerably hence for longer range shots a lighter pellet can be just as effective .

Me too my two favoured guns for ratting are my .25 Falcon FN19 carbine and my 9mm rim-fire for running targets .

Choice of pellets has come on considerably hence for longer range shots a lighter pellet can be just as effective .

I'd say that just about sums it up! :yes::good:

At 12 ft lbs 177 is the caliber of choice, drives pellets at around 850 fps ( been a long time so not quite sure on that one) depending on the weight. Flat shooting and accurate. Head shots only though, works like a charm on everything I tried them on except pigeons. I could NOT kill them cleanly with chest shots, huge stuffed crop in front meant a sideways shot only. Had no issues with rabbits or squirrels and the latter are very tough.

Its accuracy that kills, but I would agree that all things being equal more energy on target is better.

A

I shot a squirrel with my 12ft lb .25, it was still alive and on inspection after I dispatched it, the pellet had broken the skin but bounced of its head. It had the weight to knock the squirrel down, but lacked penetration. Also, the trajectory is something to think about, a bit of a learning curve in more ways than one....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 16/05/2016 at 20:34, figgy said:

Just watched the latest vermin hunters tv video and at the end a future video will be on the Weirauch snipe .25 cal that Sandwell field sports do. Even though it's a loopy trajectory it didn't half drop stuff and seemed very accurate even at 60 yards.

My thoughts were it was only any good at close ranges like barns but now I'm wondering if I was wrong, with more and more becoming available pellet choice should increase too.

What's your views on this gun and the caliber.

Just a thought.

Why introduce another element into accuracy, a loopy .25 trajectory, why?

A correctly placed missile from a flat shooting gun is easier, quicker and more effective to my way of thinking as shock power not needed in precision placement?

Keep it simple?

Need to shoot at 60 yds with sub 12, think again maybe?

Edited by old man