Proton Jumbuck

Cornishfowler

Hi guys I'm 20 years old I've just sold my polo and am looking at getting a proton Jumbuck for my new car.

I know that there not proper pick ups (2wd with low loads capacity) but I think with a cab il be able to take my dog shooting as well as surf boards and motor bikes etc.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with buying one second hand ie rusty areas or problems?

Not had any experience with the jumbuck to be honest, but a mate of mine had a proton compact from about the same era that was a nightmare, trim rattling and falling off and rust everywhere, I know the jumbuck carried on a bit longer though so it could be better on the later ones, I know the gen 2 was better than the compact.

Have you looked at vw caddys or the skoda felicia fun? Both polo based so they'll feel right at home since that's what you were driving, and slightly silly as the skoda is, it does have the extra pop out seats, vaguely remember the skoda rusting pretty badly as well though, especially around the floor and wheel arches.

Edited by Jamesey1981

I always wanted a FeliCa fun pickup ideal for surfing.....

The jumbucks were popular in some areas but seriously you'll spend a lot on 2wd pick up to look cool rather than a small van which is far more practical and will be better specced.

Lwb transit connect is a much better option as are similar vehicles get one you can lie in the back of and carpet line the interior add some led lights and a second battery.

All valid points, a big part of it would be too look cool whilst having a pickup...

The only thing is can you get many small engine vans with roughly 80-000 miles. Which look smart?

What makes would you guys suggest I look at?

Cool --- Proton pick up -------------- no.

the petrol Suzuki's are all pretty rubbish on fuel so if your a student doing a lot of miles I would expect that would be a consideration.

We had the little Vauxhall van 1.7 diesel and it was a cracking van for the 4 years we had it, very reliable, economical and pretty comfortable. We bought it about 5 years old with ,80000 miles and when we got rid was up to 130000.

Fiat panda 4x4, cheap to run, cheap to insure, can be pricey to buy but they hold their value reasonably well and not bad on or off road, it's not a full on 4x4 but it's pretty good.

Or skoda yeti if you can afford one, will cost more to buy or run than the panda but they're not too much more to run and a lot bigger, also nothing special off road but not bad either, and good on road manners.

Jimnys really aren't too bad on fuel though, you get well over 30mpg out of them most of the time, just go slower on motorways, they're really not built for it, drive at 80 they'll drink loads since you're revving the nuts off it, (top speed is 87 on the newer ones) drive at 60 and you'll be fine. The Jimny is the cheapest way of owning a 4x4 that can cope with anything that you can throw at it, and even suziki will tell you they're better off road than the vitara, they are very small inside but with the back seats down you can get a surprising amount of gear in and most come with roof rails so a set of bars for your surfboards can be had easily and cheap since you can use the universal fit ones, very compromised on road though, they're noisy and bouncy, they're more defender than Range Rover.

Depending on your license you may be able to use a trailer for your motorbikes too, the Jimny is plated to tow slightly more than it's own weight, and you should be able to pull a trailer with a bike on it without going over 3500 kg MAM, don't know what the towing capacity is for the panda, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Yetis towing, they're heavier though so you'll struggle to stay legal.

Be careful with vans, get some insurance quotes first, no matter how small a van it is it's still a commercial vehicle, a lot of insurers will sting you pretty badly since you're under 21, and they'll likely carry on until you're over 25, also not every insurer will cover commercials so your choice is more limited, you may well be able to do it cheaply, but check first, if you're going for something like an Astra van it may work out cheaper to buy the Astra estate, take out the back seats and black out the back windows, or just fold the seats flat and make a load liner out of plywood to protect it all so it's not ruined when you come to sell it.

Edited by Jamesey1981

I was looking at a Dacia Duster if I could find one cheap. Or a 1.6 grande vitara

Cool in a Dacia? Oh dear oh dear, if your in Cornwall surely a vw caddy is the thing to have as a precursor to the Cornish issue T5? I didn't think you were allowed anything else down there unless your a girl?

4x4 young and long trips to Cirencester are a bad combo! Any small car based can like an Astra will be far roomier and comfortable the 1.7 are very good on fuel too but 1.3 better on insurance probably. For bikes get a trailer

Edited by HDAV

+1 for the Astra van 1.7. Our work van is around 190k now hauling stuff from wet dogs to race engines and filling full of scrap. Only work its had in the last 2 years was a waterpunp, 2 front tyres and discs and pads on the front with a drop of screen wash to finish off. Doesn't use coolant, doesn't use any oil. Job jobbed ;)

+1 for the Astra van 1.7. Our work van is around 190k now hauling stuff from wet dogs to race engines and filling full of scrap. Only work its had in the last 2 years was a waterpunp, 2 front tyres and discs and pads on the front with a drop of screen wash to finish off. Doesn't use coolant, doesn't use any oil. Job jobbed ;)

We have an 05 on 154k it just keeps going and going never any trouble despite many years of abuse....

Well it sounds like the Astra has got a pretty good status with you guys, I will defiantly have a look at them. It's probably a vehicle I would have over looked.

I think an estate would be the way to go as I've tried can quotes before and like it's been said they are a lot higher.

Does anyone know what year the face lift model was? And do they retain there value or would I be able to scoop one up pretty reasonable

05 last of the old shape, 06 the newer shape, estates changed before the vans so may get old shape vans on 06 and new shape estates on 05, on the old shape estate the engines varied, I had a 2.0Di 98 ref did over 200k mostly trouble free! Boring but economic and decent spec on the CD trim, just avoid ones that have hard life and no service history (and ex taxis)

05 last of the old shape, 06 the newer shape, estates changed before the vans so may get old shape vans on 06 and new shape estates on 05, on the old shape estate the engines varied, I had a 2.0Di 98 ref did over 200k mostly trouble free! Boring but economic and decent spec on the CD trim, just avoid ones that have hard life and no service history (and ex taxis)

You were lucky!

The 2.0 you had was Vauxhall's own engine, and had lots of problems... the other diesel engine in those cars (1.7) was Isuzu and bombproof. So much so Vauxhall dumped their own engine for Isuzu in the newer cars with 2.2

The Di was good, the DTi was a nightmare also there are 2 1.7 the Isuzu hi blow and a GM 1.7 low blow. (Depends how far back you go even had experience of the 1.7 NA motor With no power steering!

The Isuzu was the better motor by far but parts were pricey.....