Crow help

Spewy

Ok

Day 2 at crow shooting

Tried a few things I have decoys I even had a dead lamb

I've had 4 crows and two pigeons

There are 1000s crows on the farm

I was at one point thinking they were scared of my fud decoys I have 6 put in a large U shape

Strange I see them coming then they veer off

I'm back up tomorow

I watched the flight line so set up next to woods put decoys out couple shots but again veering off 100m before decoys.

Seriously annoying as there's loads of them

Any tips please

Stewart

Set up in the dark and make sure you have no skin on show. Best thing when they just turn away stay down and see if they still turn if so change decoys try a crow call just to give them that extra push if still Turning. Leave you things wher they are and watch which way they turn and get deep in the next hedge get the wind coming in your face so it gives you a little more time before they turn and forget the u shape put them all together. Change things around don't think ow they won't even think about coming into my decoys!!!!! That's wher I have had the best days good luck

If they are veering off they are probably seeing you move in the hide. Double net with dark back ground. Sit still, look with your eyes not your head. Wear a hat. Dont move until ready to shoot. Consider half a roof if the birds are coming in high. I like the deeks in a natural spread say 2m min apart each and looking in different direction (none to the hide) and I put mine in two groups with a killing zone in the middle.

If you can make them look into the sun rather than you.

As suggested if the birds are veering off they are seeing something they don't like.make sure your hide has a good background to prevent a silhouette. I will soon be trying to shoot corvids on the annual silage making. It is certainly not easy, and respect to those who shoot them regularly.

As oowee says don't move until the crows are well within range and for me i find keeping your head and face covered and if possible double the amonut of decoys you use and add dead birds to the pattern.

More decoys gives more confidence to the corvids in my very limited experience.

Edited by aga man

Guest stevo

Ok

Day 2 at crow shooting

Tried a few things I have decoys I even had a dead lamb

I've had 4 crows and two pigeons

There are 1000s crows on the farm

I was at one point thinking they were scared of my fud decoys I have 6 put in a large U shape

Strange I see them coming then they veer off

I'm back up tomorow

I watched the flight line so set up next to woods put decoys out couple shots but again veering off 100m before decoys.

Seriously annoying as there's loads of them

Any tips please

Stewart

Where are you based ? I'm on my phone so I can't see. If your near me I could get you all set up and leave you to it.

I'm going to build a pukka hide tomorow maybe 2 and the farmer is planting turnips soon so I'll get a hide built on the edge of that field aswell

Sure it will come good with practice

Maybe me and my sons movement is the problem

I'll relax and full camo face net and gloves

I'm going to build a pukka hide tomorow maybe 2 and the farmer is planting turnips soon so I'll get a hide built on the edge of that field aswell

Sure it will come good with practice

Maybe me and my sons movement is the problem

I'll relax and full camo face net and gloves

From what you have said its defo movement 110% I tell my 9 year old when to get up and shoot other wise keep your head down guide him by saying coming in at 9,10,11,12,1,2,3 o'clock so he knows when it's time to get up and shoot he is not thinking wher is this crow DAD??? Works a treat for my son. But who can help themselves I have to calm myself down sometimes lol

Guest stevo

Sounds about right Johnny

There is one

It's coming

Get ready

It's turned

Going up today

Definitely seing us

Shame your not a bit closer. I would have gladly come and give you an hour showing you what I do. Keep at matey it will all come right in the end.

Agh stevo

Wow

My friend shoots shotguns professionally and said he would send me stuff to get me started

2 gulli suits

2 hats

2 gun slips

Crow caller

12 pigeon decoys

Be rude not toooo

Off to the farm for the day

Bloody rain just started but don't care

Quick hour

Managed a few good shots

They were coming into decoys no veering of even turning on top of pattern about to land

Good hide

Gulli suit

Face vails

Gloves

Schoolboy error now feel great

Going back out now the rain has stopped👍

hi mate when the farmer plants the turnips if you can leave them for a few days to build the numbers up the more decoys you have out the better

also if you put your hide up the night before you should know which way the wind direction will be so you can have the wind at your back which

always

makes your shooting easier and believe it or not I never wear gloves or a faceveil movement is what they detect If you are still struggleing I will be up at clachan farm just down the road from you in September so could try and help you a bit more

atb dolphin

WELL THAT WAS A WAST OF TIME CROWS DID NOT TAKE ANY NOTICE OF OWL ENDED UP WITH 2 CROWS

I've tried a large (European) owl decoy and also a small one. Both were useless. I have also used a fox skin that I tanned, and fitted it to a wire frame so that it would stand up. I placed this in a field with a dead Crow and some feathers scattered around the 'fox' and had some success.

WELL THAT WAS A WAST OF TIME CROWS DID NOT TAKE ANY NOTICE OF OWL ENDED UP WITH 2 CROWS

Sorry that it didnt work bud, but thanks for letting us know. There have been comments about crows mobbing foxes as well. I can confirm that a fox decoy is also a waste of time. I stuck one out with my decoys last year (a recently departed fox thanks to the .243) and there was no interest.

I've tried it all, owls, fox decoy, slit open rabbitt with decoy on it, i recently used 3 magpies sat in a small triangle with a dead crow in the middle with feathers scattered about to make it look legit, shot 17 then it went dead but birds were definitely coming in crowing on arrival going mad