Foxes and crows

WelshMike

Work has been rather hectic of late so I havent had much of a chance to get out, or to post any pics or comments.

I had a phone call on Saturday from one of the guys I shoot for mentioning that there were a few foxes on some ground that I dont currently shoot on. I went over and had a look at the ground which is about 200 acres, next to a river...basically a lovely farm. Whilst it is a dairy farm it is close to the chicken farm that the family own (and I shoot at) so there is a pretty low tolerance level when it comes to foxes.

I went out Saturday night despite it being a still and bright night. After a good explore I spotted a tell tale flash of eyes about 300 yards away. Got the rifle set up on the sticks and watched the fox heading nicely towards me. I spent a bit to much time watching and not enough time shooting it...to cut the story short it must have spotted me at about 70 yards as it turned tail and fled at a fair pace. Oh well. I carried on in the direction that the fox had headed and on arriving by the side of the river spied a nice set of bright eyes. Over to the NV and was a little quicker in acquiring, and shooting the fox. Shot was taken about 70 yards off the sticks so not massively challenging. The challenging bit was trying to find the fox, I knew where it was but it appeared it was on an island so after 5 minutes I gave up.

I headed back the next day as I had seen a few corvids on the freshly silaged fields so I had a couple of hours over the decoys accounting for a mixed bag of 30 blacks. I decided to go and have a look for the fox and managed to find the bridge onto the island (a fallen tree).

Dog%20fox%2014.05.16_zpsepgzdah5.jpg

30%20crows%2015.05.16_zpsmpgkp1rj.jpg

Back out again last night. Nothing seen until 12 ish when I heard a fox calling. Headed over to where I thought the fox was and set the foxpro to work. No luck despite cub distress, vixen call, dog call etc. I tried the Wam caller before I headed off and that got a quick response. I managed to get the sticks set and rifle ready to go to see the fox at about 60 yards sat behind a fence. Fortunately enough was clear of the fence for me to send an 80 grain soft point into the side of his chest. Another dog down so not a bad start on the new perm. Thanks for reading

Dog%20fox%2018.05.16_zps6ueqblvc.jpg

Nice start on new perm Mike .. Foxes and crows , what more could you ask for ?... :hmm: Oh yes a roebuck :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

You were doing so well until that last comment :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

A good couple of outings Mike, is it the angle or is that first fox tall, well done on the new permission

Cheers buddy. The first fox was very long legged

Good write up and good shooting. Well done Mike. :good:

Cheers Steve. Hows the .204?

I haven't fired a shot out of it yet, but hopefully will get it zeroed on Sunday, weather permitting.

Have fun. I have to go and look at another piece of ground tonight with some serious rabbit issues (apparently) as well as foxes paying to much interest in the chickens and peacocks so may be out a bit over the weekend myself. Take it easy buddy.