WHAT IS THE BEST SERIES LANDROVER AND WHY?

TONY R

Lots of Landrover fans on here its the off season, and thus life changing debate like this is important. :lol:

So as flipacey is my middle name come on! WHATS YOUR POISON?

Is it the cute dinky little Series 1 with its IOEV motor and handy 8o inch WB, or do you like its big brother the 107?

What is it about them you like. exactly is it the flat side and neat looking door tops or what else?

Are you a series 2 fan do you like the styling better think the 2286 is a better engine alltogether is it the room WHAT?

Or bis it the series 3 is it the styling or the detail changes to the engine carb whatever is it that plastic grile. What?

For me its the Series one in 80 inch hard top it was the first and in my opinion the best, i do like the flat sides and the door tops as i mentioned above, and the old IOEV motor could be retro modified as it probably was many times back in the day, by ditching the cast iron head and replacing it with an aloy head off a rover P4 car complete with the manifolding and the exellent su carb. Had a few LRs over the years cand a couple of them have been series ones and have always been my favourates.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the most pleasing to the eye is defo' the series 1

for me when the l/rover came of age is when they went to coil springs ............and from a usage point of view when the 200 was fitted......i have driven hundreds of thous of klicks in africa....and when you coupled coil springs, 200 engine and got rid of the radials and put on cross plys at 12lbs/sq"............that was when life got a lot easier

partly thats why i like my turbo-desiel, its a transition between the old and the new generation...i have the ease of engine maintenance and the comfort of the new generation of springing..........

Had the full set, from S1 (BMC Diesel) 2a ( V8 Rover & car gearbox Very brisk) 2A Diesel 3 of but I loved my 109 safari with slugish 6cyl & Roverdrive, I gave my last 2A diesel to my old Shooting buddy in Winlaton, tyneside It was stolen within a month & never seen again

Edited by guzzicat

I have a liking for a LWB series 111 but that's because my mate had one and used to swap bodies on it from time to time. Other than that it was a mechanical nightmare but very easy to work on, which was all the time.

Im sure his subsequent marriage break up was at least in part due to that beast

Come on people play nice now please.

Try and refrain from the Jap input however relative this is about Series Land rover praise and debate., Old series need hugging too you know. :lol:

Now a D4D in a series 1 , now i want to see that beast.

Edited by TONY R

My dream car (no word of a lie) would be a Land Rover Defender 90 TD5. I have always said to my wife that if I win the lottery this will be the first purchase I make. I know it's not the best series, but growing up this has always been my dream...

Also a Twisted Land Rover T40s Defender 90 XS Utility with a V8 wouldnt go a miss...

P1030003-1200x900.jpg

For me a short wheel base tropical roofed safari in cream. I like that they don't have the bulk head behind the drivers seat so more leg and elbow room.

Skinny tyres that seem to grip no matter what you try to drive through.

If long wheel base one of the fully kitted out expedition series with the roof tent.

Nearly bought a forward control Land Rover in the early nineties but needed a bit too much doing and parts were not that cheap for them compared to a standard series 111.

Engine wise all would have to have a modern turbo diesel transplant I'm afraid.

Edited by figgy

My dream car (no word of a lie) would be a Land Rover Defender 90 TD5. I have always said to my wife that if I win the lottery this will be the first purchase I make. I know it's not the best series, but growing up this has always been my dream...

Also a Twisted Land Rover T40s Defender 90 XS Utility with a V8 wouldnt go a miss...

P1030003-1200x900.jpg

I do like that but it would have to have an auto box for me like the anni`s they did.

ATB

Matt