Old style driving licence

gemini52

Still got my original paper one issued in the 1970's it expires in 2023, so intend to keep using it. No issues so far in this country and I can still rent a car with it in the US, handy as I go there every year to visit my son and daughter in law.

Edited by Scotty99

The plastic card is only valid for 10 years like a passport. Your license is valid till your 70th.

But you are not supposed to have both paper and plastic. Mine both ran out the day before I am 70.

Edited by rjimmer

Still got my original paper one issued in the 1970's it expires in 2023, so intend to keep using it. No issues so far in this country and I can still rent a car with it in the US, handy as I go there every year to visit my son and daughter in law.

But you won't be able to use it to get a bus pass.

If you have a paper driving licence

Paper driving licences issued before 1998 are still valid. Do not destroy your licence.

When you update your name or address, or renew your licence, you’ll only get a photocard licence.

I only got a Photo card licence about three years ago as I thought it would be useful to have some photo id.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Still got my old paper one and I'm not going to change it until I have to. When I moved house I must have got it during the change over period to the photo card type as I just filled in the change of address on the previous one, they sent me another old style one with my new address on. Must have got it in just in time, but I never sent a photo in with my change of address, nor did I know anything about doing so at the time.

Bus Pass! Don't think so, not used a bus in 30 years.

I regretted not bothering applying for one when I broke my ankle 3 years ago, what with a bus stop 200 yards away and the hospital on the route. I could sell this house and buy 4 more rental properties in the Midlands, but it's too convenient for when you can no longer drive.