Photocopied Shotgun Licence

I always carry my shotgun licence with me when shooting, and it can get a bit battered. I was wondering whether I could photocopy it and carry a copy with me instead. I realise I couldnt buy cartridges with it (could I?) but would it hold any water if I was stopped by the police?

I rarely carry a certificate these days. If you are stopped in your car, they will know you have a certificate before they even have a word as it is flagged up. As already said, if they have radio comms. they can check your certificate almost immediately.

Andy

Apparently it's illegal to copy SGC (& passport) but I too keep copy on iPhone. Yes plod should be able to access your records through PNC but some of them aren't too bright (we dealt with a PCSO who wasnt the sharpest tack in the box) so copy on phone should help.

Out of idle curiosity where does it say it is illegal to copy SGC? And does it apply too to FACs?

I did find a gov.co website where it states it's illegal to make a coloured photocopy of a passport but a black and white copy is OK as identification. But I cannot find any similar guidance on SGCs & FACs. Thanks.

Apparently it's illegal to copy SGC (& passport) but I too keep copy on iPhone. Yes plod should be able to access your records through PNC but some of them aren't too bright (we dealt with a PCSO who wasnt the sharpest tack in the box) so copy on phone should help.

As far as I'm aware, you commit an offence if you attempt to 'pass off' a copy as an original.

So carrying a copy as a back-up, is perfectly fine. Do note however that the police are not obliged to accept it as proof that you have a SGC/FAC, and, in law, only the original will suffice.

My SGC copy has 'copy' hand-written across the front of it in marker pen. So there is no way I could ever mistakenly take it instead of the original when going for cartridges, or off to a new clay ground, or when off (sshhhhh) gun shopping !

My FEO actually advised me not to carry the original or a copy, since if it gets lost and falls into the wrong hands, they know a lot about you: name, address, what you look like and exactly what guns you have. As mentioned in previous posts, the police can check by other means. The only time this may fall over is if they can't check (no radio signal, for example). The worst thing that could happen is you get arrested, but things will be quickly resolved at the station. I never carry mine......

The last time I tried to copy mine it came up with FRAUD across it.

Blackpowder

Seems daft but that shows it is a copy of a genuine certificate! :lol:

They went through a period of doing that in my region but seem to have given up now!

I carry a copy because one time I got stopped and was told that if I hadn't have had the copy then they would have taken my guns in to the local station until I came across with a cert to prove authorisation to possess. A few years ago now. FeO advised me to carry the copy.

Again it is a case of every FeO and dept making it up as they go along.

Edited by fortune

Take a picture and keep it on your smart phone if you want to. Better than losing a copy or the original. It's almost a cold day in hell when a quick radio check can't be done to verify ownership of fac/sgc what guns and serial numbers etc. In fact I can't remember the last time one couldn't be done, even at 3 am on boxing day in a muddy field with rain coming down like stair rods someone will be sat at a terminal to answer the poor pc's request for a name check that will reveal all.

just buy a wallet and carry the original, a photocopy isn't generally accepted as genuine.

True, the problem doesn't lie in their identifying you, it clearly says if you can't produce the original an officer may remove your guns till the original is produced.

I too have been identified from my vehicle number but who would really want to experience all of your kit being handled by who knows who and how while out of your possession?

Not me, i take the original.

To obtain a replacement from the Police is not difficult.

Aaahhhhhhh!!!!!! I'm going to prison for photo copying FAC.

For the love of whatever what is it with some of you lot. You get all righteous about silly little things then very likely do 3 mph over the stated speed limit.

It's a rough copy of a licence with details of your serial numbers etc of your guns/rifles.

It's not intended to be able to be passed off at sportsmans gun center so some numpty that found it could use it to by a kalashnikov.

Some of you are proper jobs worths I bet..lol

True, the problem doesn't lie in their identifying you, it clearly says if you can't produce the original an officer may remove your guns till the original is produced.

I too have been identified from my vehicle number but who would really want to experience all of your kit being handled by who knows who and how while out of your possession?

Not me, i take the original.

To obtain a replacement from the Police is not difficult.

And I had exactly this happen, couldn't show original, had my rifle and an ammunition take off me until I could produce; a thirty mile round trip in rush hour.

I was expressly told, when I queried the pedantry of such action, that not all officers have access to the firearms database (at least not in Herts) and that in future I should carry the original.

Fortunately, the divot that was in charge of Herts firearms has been moved on following the merger with Cambs, can't say I'll miss him or his attitude.

Hopefully, commonsense will be in greater abundance in the future (early conversations seem to support that) but I no longer chance it.

Edited by mick miller

It's all on the pnc and has been for years so the officer don't need access to the firearms database to check. The law says they can take them until the original is produced but then it was written in 1968 and that section has not been updated. The same officer could have given a suitably amended hort/1 (producer for car insurance) if they had wanted to. A photocopy or picture on a smart phone was recommended to me by a licensing Sgt and it's common sense.

Was told about a year ago, OK to produce photocopy, but ink out so only picture, certificate number, name, dob, partial address and signature was visible.

It was added that any officer would accept / check PNC to save paperwork.