Photocopied Shotgun Licence

It's all on the pnc and has been for years so the officer don't need access to the firearms database to check. The law says they can take them until the original is produced but then it was written in 1968 and that section has not been updated. The same officer could have given a suitably amended hort/1 (producer for car insurance) if they had wanted to. A photocopy or picture on a smart phone was recommended to me by a licensing Sgt and it's common sense.

I was in my mates truck at the time, routine traffic stop to check vehicle etc., all probably would have been fine but my pal blurted out 'we have a rifle in the car', which he needn't have bothered informing them of.

Point being, PNC would have revealed only his details, not my rifle. Ultimately, I believe this to be just another jobsworth example of some of our officers attitudes.

It happens in all professions.

Edited by mick miller

It's all on the pnc and has been for years so the officer don't need access to the firearms database to check. The law says they can take them until the original is produced but then it was written in 1968 and that section has not been updated. The same officer could have given a suitably amended hort/1 (producer for car insurance) if they had wanted to. A photocopy or picture on a smart phone was recommended to me by a licensing Sgt and it's common sense.

Unless it has changed recently all PNC lists is the fact you are a FAC/SGC holder! Access to the NFD is required for detail, and very few police can specifically access that.

They will need to call home and generally get a senior/duty officer to access it!

:good:

Look, a name check will reveal you are a firearms/shotgun holder. It doesn't matter if you are in a mates car or on a train/boat/hot air ballon; a name check is a name check.

I have never, ever, had an issue getting access to the firearm's database even at 3 am on a Sunday morning in the rain. No one does. It's in a computer system that is accessible 24/7 by the force control room.

Does the copper need to know that your licence is for a .243 rather than a .222? Can he/she tell the difference? Do they care too much when you say your lamping and a name check reveals you have said licence and the land owner has no issues?

If they do its another simple "what guns should they have control?" And a few minutes wait.

No senior officers need waking, no lambs need slaughtering, I don't need to bow on one knee when it's done, it's a simple check.

Will they take the guns if you don't have your licence? Dunno as i cant answe for others. They shouldn't as the name check will suffice but thats not taking everything into account and neither can it until it happens .

A copy is better and a picture of it on your smart phone just as good.

any carp about not being able to check after 5pm is just that.

Edited by GingerCat

Well put Gingercat.

You can only assume that when some folk get stopped for whatever reason the police get a load of snide remarks. I can only speak for myself, but the times I've been stopped, or questioned I've been polite and as helpful as I can. Maybe I've just been lucky with the approach from the police who knows.

Look, a name check will reveal you are a firearms/shotgun holder. It doesn't matter if you are in a mates car or on a train/boat/hot air ballon; a name check is a name check.

I have never, ever, had an issue getting access to the firearm's database even at 3 am on a Sunday morning in the rain. No one does. It's in a computer system that is accessible 24/7 by the force control room.

Does the copper need to know that your licence is for a .243 rather than a .222? Can he/she tell the difference? Do they care too much when you say your lamping and a name check reveals you have said licence and the land owner has no issues?

If they do its another simple "what guns should they have control?" And a few minutes wait.

No senior officers need waking, no lambs need slaughtering, I don't need to bow on one knee when it's done, it's a simple check.

Will they take the guns if you don't have your licence? Dunno as i cant answe for others. They shouldn't as the name check will suffice but thats not taking everything into account and neither can it until it happens .

A copy is better and a picture of it on your smart phone just as good.

any carp about not being able to check after 5pm is just that.

Exactly!

Mike.