.22 hornet for bunnies

Zetter

Hi All

I currently have a .17HMR for long range bunnies but to be honest ive not been blown away by the calibre mainly due to ammo inconsistancies so was thinking about substiuting it for a small centre fire as I get the odd request to sort out a few foxes on the permission from time to time at not excessive ranges.

If I was to reload does anyone have any experience with running this instead of a HMR for a bunny gun. Also assuming I am shooting for the pot as well with head shots what is the meat damage like?

Cheers Neil

Briliant round the hornet as steve b says its a perfect rifle for rabbits and fox , get you into reloading etc.

Its not a speed demon, just keep the speeds sensibe and you will get good accuracy, problems always start with the hornet when you start chasing higher speeds, case issues rear their ugly heads and out the window goes accuracy not to mention case life.

You will love it though they are very under rated..

Cheers Both

Head shots only would be a given as to be honest with the HMR if its not a head shot it not plesant on bunnies either for eating. I think the first step is going to be getting the land cleared then look at a one for one on my HMR after a chat with my FEO.

What about .22 Ackley improved? Been pondering this round for a while as an alternative to .22 hornet. Would need to handload though.

What about .22 Ackley improved? Been pondering this round for a while as an alternative to .22 hornet. Would need to handload though.

Neil i reload for my .222 and shoot plenty bunnies with it i have also just brought a wmr to maybe swap for my hmr if you want to come over and have a shoot with both and see what you think you can also load a few of my rounds see how you like reloading ?? its only a few pence a round dearer than hmr

and if you happen on a muntjac or cwd the .222 is legal unlike the hornet

colin

Edited by colin lad

I've got a hornet, now on my 2nd one. Decent ones are scarce 2nd hand and in hindsight I should of gone bigger but will get one of those as well later! It's a kinda of in between round in my opinion, not enough for munties and a bit much for rabbits.

Gonna keep it tho because why not!! 👍🏻

Factory load ammo isn't too easy to get hold of locally for me too. And it's not cheap!!!

I'm not mad keen on bunnies for the table with the HMR unless it head shot, so the Hornet makes little odds on that front.

If you are not keen on the HMR then the Hornet is the first realistic centrefire to consider.

If you reload then it shouldn't cost a great deal more in ammo either, but factory will be substantially more.

Best to reload all rifles if you can,no need for loads of expense try and streamline what you have and decide what you need and for what. save space time and money in the vlong run.

if i had my time to come again skip all the presses etc jump straight for willsons either get an arbour press or just mallet them, i dont have a real rifle press any more just have a cheapo o frame lee to run new cases through the full length die.

Hi Colin

thats a very kind offer if you get chance I would love to have try if I can as the .222 is not a calibre I had really considered.

Neil

got a bit on this weekend but send me a pm later on next week and we can sort something for either next weekend or the one after

colin

The Hornet is a fine replacement for the HMR and if you reload you can get the costs down to nearish HMR ammo . Having had one for the last year my advice would be to do a bit of research on the various models and makes first, probably CZ would be my choice again. I bought my 22 Hornet anchutz as a bit of an impulse buy from my local RFD, a lovely rifle and with a bit of patience had the stock looking lovely. The down side to the rifle was the anchutz bolt is a modified version of their rimfire bolt and seamed a bit sloppy and I think that maybe this could have caused some of my accuracy issues, now this rifle was 35 years old so it could have been a number of things. The only way I could get any consistency was to reload longer than the lovely engineered little mag would take, I experimented with a few hundred rounds but then had the chance to trade it back into the same RFD for a almost new Tikka 223. The great thing with the 223 is that I will not have the same limitations with reloading and acentric behaviour of an older rifle ( and I like tikkas already having two others), I plan to get a recipe that will give near Hornet performance and as for reloading the 223 has a massive range of bullets, many being cheaper than hornet ( the main cost when you have some cases), the only extra expense would be more powder which is pence. If you are buying ready made ammo then Hornet ammo isn't much cheaper than 222/ 223 (unless you can find ppu and it shoots ok). I will probably get another Hornet if I find the right rifle.

One thing with the hornet is that I think that police will have little problem with variations to replace HMR which may happen with other more powerful 22 centre fire rounds, especially with all the hype about hmr ammo and variations for fox.

As said before one more advantage with 222/223 is that you can shoot small deer species, which is another advantage for me. Good luck with your choice as it will always be a personal one.

Edited by Redgum

The Hornet is a great round for bunnies, as said before head shots only as they can make a bit of a mess of the carcass, it is my go to rifle when I do rabbits and hares, also a light rifle to carry around all day so if you see a fox in range while walking about it will do the job no problem. I find ppu runs fine through mine but some people don't seem to like it , it is just a great 1st C/F calibre to have, and swapping for hmr shouldn't be a problem.

S