Gun punts

abc456

It would depend on the age of the punt, what it was made of, it`s design, the quality of the workmanship etc, etc.

Much the same would apply to the gun.

You won`t find a useable outfit, including a trailer, for much less than £1,500- it would cost significantly more to build the punt, trailer and gun.

Guns go for anything between £500 and £15,000.

A few pics or more of a technical description would facilitate a better estimate.

A friend of mine had his double punt 1.3/4 inch gun and trailer advertised last year for £11,000 he had built the whole thing his self and it cost a lot more than that to build it sold quickly. These outfits do not come up to often so are sought after but buyer be where. A old punt can look good from the out side but under the decking can be very rotten and will cost a lot to put right. A good modern punt built with modern materials will be far more cost effective and if you want to use it on the sea will be a lot safer. I have a single modern built punt with a double barrel four bore built in the 1980s. I also have a Birmingham made double eight bore built in 1895 when I get to old to use them I will give them to a young wildfowler who will look after them and use them as they were intended to be used on the marsh. After all I am very fortunate to own these guns and are really only custodians of them and they should be looked after and preserved but most of all used and fired on the marsh and foreshore then passed on to there next custodian.

OK, thanks for the info so far. Some details:

Firstly for the mods - this is not a sales advert - I am seeking advice.

Trailer - purpose built flatbed of square tube and diamond bracing with new wheels, bearings and tyres plus spare wheel

Punt - marine ply 22' 6" fully rebuilt by me. All internal surfaces treated with clear penetrating epoxy, primed and painted with International "Toplac". New decks also. Additional structural knees and bracing around main beam and aft beam make it bomb-proof. Deck and hull sheathed in glass fibre and epoxy. Oak rubbing strakes. For extra consideration, I made removable leeboards and rudder to compliment the mast and lugsail - she sails quite well!!

Gun - this is interesting. A swivel gun of 1.25" gauge. Breach loading with purpose machined brass cases x2 taking a .38 blank primer. Bore is chromed and recoil system is manufactured around old motorcycle shock absorbers... no need for trunion ropes with this gun, everything is self contained, to my belief a unique piece. Spigot locates in socket bonded and bolted into main beam, through the foredeck (visible in 3rd picture below, in front of mast step). Breach block machined out of solid lump of bronze. From memory charge is 2oz powder and throws up to 12oz I think. The whole gun was designed and made by a very gifted engineer in the 60's. My view is that because it's a swivel gun this makes the outfit more usable and desirable - purists might disagree

I can supply pictures of gun but gun would take a few days, boat:

23062010469.jpg

Gun_Mount_Bulkhead.jpg

DSC_0164.JPG

Rjimmer - two mate of mine have just built a new punt trailer and neither they nor I were aware of any regulations that pertained to it, apart from the most basic Construction and Use regs. Could you tell us more please.

abc, I think the answer to what it`s worth might be that it`s what someone wants to pay for it. I`m sure you`ve worked out that the yardstick for it`s value is what it would cost in terms of materials and construction time to replace. Trouble is that that often produces a figure of such magnitude that it puts the thing out of most peoples reach.

Sorry I can`t be any more helpful.

Incidentally, the first complete punt and gun outfit I bought cost me £60, the second complete outfit cost me £75 and the third cost £250 so you can see that I`m probably err, a wee bit out of date with modern prices.

Don't know much about punts especially swivel gun ones

But from the picture looks the wrong way round

Have you got a picture of the other end

All the best

Of

My take is that being a double, the beam moves forward a bit - you have to find room for a set of hips and head to rest alongside each other...

There is also an element of camera lens for-shortening altering the perspective a bit.

My take is that being a double, the beam moves forward a bit - you have to find room for a set of hips and head to rest alongside each other...

There is also an element of camera lens for-shortening altering the perspective a bit.

Just seemed a massive waste of space at the stern 😊

Tha camera plays tricks that's why I asked for picture of other end

Just curious 😊

All the best

Of

A few thoughts :

The outfit on Guntrader was newly built by a chap with a name for making big guns. The asking price was just that and I am told he was prepared to sell for less.

Does this gun bear proof marks which are essential if it is to be sold ? Many amateur built guns do not undergo proof as they are not built to sell on.

I like the "dog kennel" but where will it go when you get down ?

I really would not want to sit on the back of that cockpit. you would have a botty like a hot cross bun.

If you advertise it you will get more folk interested in the gun than the rest. Most enquiries will be from dreamers of one sort or another.

Rjimmer - two mate of mine have just built a new punt trailer and neither they nor I were aware of any regulations that pertained to it, apart from the most basic Construction and Use regs. Could you tell us more please.

Go ask someone who makes and sells trailers, OR this might help.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/vehicletype/trailers.asp

Just seemed a massive waste of space at the stern

Tha camera plays tricks that's why I asked for picture of other end

Just curious

All the best

Of

Ahh - but that's where the setter's legs go. I can assure you it's still a tight squeeze.

Ahh - but that's where the setter's legs go. I can assure you it's still a tight squeeze.

I'm sure it is maybe punters were smaller in the old days 😂

Just seemed strange 7 frames at the stern and only 3 at the bow but like I say I know nothing about them

That would explain it if the punter hides under the deck 😊

All the best

Of

RJ - I had a read of some of the government link that you highlighted but these refer to trailers as in those towed by a HGV rather than a smallish boat the weight of a gunning punt.

There are, as we`ve agreed, some Con and Use Regs to bear in mind, but since we `re not intending to manufacture or sell them we seem to have escaped the worst of the bureaucracy.

All the trailer/boating sites seem to agree with the above.

Unless you know differently?

I'm sure it is maybe punters were smaller in the old days

Just seemed strange 7 frames at the stern and only 3 at the bow but like I say I know nothing about them

That would explain it if the punter hides under the deck

All the best

Of

Lol

I'm sure it is maybe punters were smaller in the old days 😂

That would explain it if the punter hides under the deck 😊

All the best

Of

Think that's the stem end mate, it's been turned round on the trailer

It's the back I think with the rudder but not sure just curious and looking forward to picture with the gun it'll be clearer then 😊😊😊😊

I mean the first photos are of it facing backwards on the trailer, the last photo it has been turned round as is facing forwards on the trailer

Lol I get it I get it sneak into the birds stern first that way the birds will think your going away from them

I like this idea 😂

RJ - Many thanks for the link. I`ve had a quick read through it and, like the other link, this appears to be describing a type approval system for commercially produced trailers intended for sale.

None of which seems to apply to a home made punt trailer.

Since we last looked at this I`ve had a closer look at the legislation and can only find the original Construction and Use Regs that apply to a punt trailer, and of course, the various towing and driving license stuff which has always applied.

Apparently, you can still just build a punt trailer, as long as you take the above, which are very comprehensive and need to be looked at and understood, into account.

Edited by mudpatten

RJ - Many thanks for the link. I`ve had a quick read through it and, like the other link, this appears to be describing a type approval system for commercially produced trailers intended for sale.

None of which seems to apply to a home made punt trailer.

Since we last looked at this I`ve had a closer look at the legislation and can only find the original Construction and Use Regs that apply to a punt trailer, and of course, the various towing and driving license stuff which has always applied.

Apparently, you can still just build a punt trailer, as long as you take the above, which are very comprehensive and need to be looked at and understood, into account.

I suggest you drive through a ministry checkpoint or become involved in an accident whilst towing, to find out. The original post was about buying a punt on a trailer, so I suppose someone would have to be selling one.