Consistent Shooting

For the past two days we have driven around Warwickshire and Worcestershire in excess on two hundred miles in pursuit of wood pigeon to no avail. Friday saw us setting up on a field of peas on which we had scared approx fifty off with a shot , we had watched it for thirty minutes and no new birds had joined. So we set up at 15.30 and shot till 17.00 and picked up nine birds.

Today we drove around looking for peas and chickweed and any crop with birds down, we found no flighting birds at all , the only birds we could see were on the late budding Ash trees. We had passed a pea fields with about twenty birds in the trees. The only seed fields we could find were maize. At 15.45 we set up on the pea field and shot till 17.00 when the rain became to wet to shoot in and picked up nine birds. Anybody who knows my habits will know that I normally drive down to Greece at this time but due to Grandad duties I've had to stay at home and continue shooting if I can.

Edited by pigeon controller

Welcome to our world :lol:

A very honest report from you PC, re-assuring at least to those of us who have been out looking everyday at the minute.

Apparently all the pigeons have gone to Norfolk and only those with a name beginning with 'M' can get them to decoy ???

Welcome to our world :lol:

A very honest report from you PC, re-assuring at least to those of us who have been out looking everyday at the minute.

Apparently all the pigeons have gone to Norfolk and only those with a name beginning with 'M' can get them to decoy ???

I couldn't agree with you more aga man ....... apart from all the pigeons have gone to Norfolk , if they have done they are keeping up north and not coming down south , my surname begins with M but I don't suppose that count :lol:

Good time of year to give them a break anyway. I've been watching them dive into some laurel bushes at work where they are raising their young.

Yep...unless they are doing some real damage, had our first young pigeon on the bird table this week, the way I look at it now is these early young birds are my sport on the laid corn and stubbles latter in the summer.

It seems the same in my neck of the woods. Yesterday I spent a couple of hours looking at a few recently sprouting pea fields. Same story as you, a few in the trees occasionally dropping down to feed for a few minutes then back to the trees with no new birds joining. I didn't bother setting up.

The same story the week before. And the week before that.

I haven't shot a pigeon in May and time is running out!