Bipods, any recommendation ?

chipper

Deben swivel (with locking lever) compare pretty well with Harris equivalent for less than half the cost. I've had a fair few over the years and this one's proving to be pretty stable and well made. A1 Decoys also sell a pretty decent swivel bipod for reasonable cash.

I'd prefer something like the Cheytac (M200) bipod which has the barrel in an under slung position as by all accounts this offers one of the more stable designs, but haven't seen one this side of the pond for sale, and not one that can be used with conventional swivel stud fixings.

You'd be surprised. The cheaper ones hold the rifle but no-where near as solidly or steady as the better engineered versions, especially on leg lengths longer than 10 to 12 inches. The engineering of the hinge and spring system needs to be quite robust to prevent the bipod rocking under slight load, and extras like swivelling movement all add cost to manufacture. I've had some very cheap ones which were binned (couldn't in all conscience sell them on) as they were utter cr%p.

Just bought one of these in 9-13" for 23 quid from the bay as my deben has fallen to bits, I'm out with it now and just had a zero session with it and early thoughts are that it seems quite good, time will tell.

My deben has lasted less than 3 yearsScreenshot_2016-05-26-19-19-20-1_zpshxfx

Edited by belly47

Do you stalk on foot?

Those must be cannons not rifles, I couldn't do much stalking carrying them!

:lol::good:

Joking, I only use them static, or on the truck, just for medium/long range vermin and chain link shooting or pencils. But I certainly have no complaints regarding the bi pods from sniper systems.

Stalking or whatever is a browning Abolt at around 1/2 the weight.

I have some Harris and I can attest to how good they stand behind their product. I got the legs caught up in a fence while swinging on a 2nd of a double on Coyotes. I called Harris for direction on how to disassemble in order to straighten an extension. The cheerful response was send them in and we will attend to it. A few days later I received a new pair--no charge.

Whenever you discuss cost you must consider other factors.

Buy cheap buy twice.

I have half dozen bipods that people have chucked away and I have picked up for spares. Most of the problems seem to come from the cheap alloy breaking off. Spend a little more money and it will be cheaper in the long run..............And get a 9-13 the 6-9 are a waste of time if you are shooting off the ground.

G

• 3 weeks later...

the only probs i have had with cheap bipods is the thread strips on the stud wheel tightner bracket ,all i do now is tig weld a small nut in its place and you have a solid unit.

the origional is a pressed v which is threaded,total failure point anyway.