Home, contents and sporting goods insurance

At the moment I am insured for the above with NFU but This years quote has come in about £250 MORE than last years quote. In the past I found that a lot of companies wouldn't quote with the guns. If you've got guns on your policy wording as over the £1500 per item who are you insured with?

I'm with NFU for home contents. All my guns are specified items, I've made a claim for a broken stock and also for two guns which were stolen from an hotel room. In both instances they paid the claims quickly and without question.

They are dearer than other insurance companies but I prefer them because of the peace of mind knowing they'll pay up in the case of a claim.

NFU for contents and guns. Guns are specified separately with cheapest worth around £225 and dearest worth around £2500. Last years quote was £205. I haven't looked anywhere else for guns insurance.

Have you tried cancelling your policy and joining again as a new customer?

Thanks for the replies chaps. For the past 3 years I have had the house, contents and sporting goods insurance with NFU and had the more expensive stuff itemized. I went with them because a lot of companies wouldn't cover the guns. The renewal premium has just come in and this year and it is £730. Every year it has a big jump and it is getting top heavy. I have just done an online quote and have hunted out cover which is equal to or betters the existing cover and have come out with a quote for £420. Saving £310.

What I would like to know is what companies have the members of this house used with regard to the itemization of the more expensive guns cover.

I use NFU for my house, contents, business, machinery, camping pods, public liability, employers liability etc. etc. I have any item worth over 2k in my contents named which includes guns. I saw an increase this year and come February I will be having a hunt around it just takes so long to go through everything with a new insurer. Think I will photocopy my policies without any prices and get them to quote like for like.

Your postcode can make a big difference to your annual premium, this year 2016 we paid £201, for this we get Legal Cover, £1 million building cover with full accidental damage, £60k for general contents with a maximum of £1500 for any unspecified item away from home, this policy also gives me cover on specified (named) items away from the home up to £10k.

Excesses are, escape of water £350, accidental damage £150, personal possessions away from the home £100.

It was the best quote that also covered my guns as some insurance companies will not cover guns, Insurance company LV= Liverpool Victoria, I did this by phone as I like to ask questions to make sure everything is covered.

I've recently changed to saga, house insurance 500 cheaper than previous plus I have added sporting goods. Including rifles plus scopes and covered if used away from home.

All for less than 1/2 of my previous insurance company's quote.

My buildings and contents insurance is £120 per year. When I was on the phone to renew she asked about items of value and I mentioned my guns.

With this the woman says "oh we don't cover shotguns or firearms, we'll have to refer to the underwriters"

Now this is news to me- I assumed as items worth £800 or less they'd be covered. Now I'm not sure whether the company will let me renew but without covering the guns or refuse me cover altogether!

My buildings and contents insurance is £120 per year. When I was on the phone to renew she asked about items of value and I mentioned my guns.

With this the woman says "oh we don't cover shotguns or firearms, we'll have to refer to the underwriters"

Now this is news to me- I assumed as items worth £800 or less they'd be covered. Now I'm not sure whether the company will let me renew but without covering the guns or refuse me cover altogether!

Yep..a lot of insurance companies will not (cover) insure guns, you always need to ask.

I've recently changed to saga, house insurance 500 cheaper than previous plus I have added sporting goods. Including rifles plus scopes and covered if used away from home.

All for less than 1/2 of my previous insurance company's quote.

The quote that I have generated for this year is with Saga and equals or exceeds the NFU cover for £310 saving! Down to a premium of £420. As opposed to the NFU quote of £730. Where do they generate these stupid quotes from? Surely someone should be able to see that customers migrating from company to company. I've a good mind to ask NFU to have a look at the quote and tell them what I'm prepared to pay and chop it back to the first year quote and then some Because the risk is the same And we haven't claimed in the Three years we've been with them so we should get a No claim discount like a car. Even then it won't match the Saga quote. Edited by fortune

When I asked one insurance company why they did not cover guns they told me my house was a higher risk because criminals might brake in to steel my guns if they know I keep them at home.

I replied.....well they may also think twice about braking in if they know I am armed!

There was deadly silence....then, sorry we cannot help you....is there anything else I can help you with.

No thanks bye.

First thing I always ask before letting them get deep into their sales script is...do you cover guns.

Direct line- don't have to specify anything under £4k. They wanted to know which Guns I had but it sounded more like curiosity.they said if collection exceeds £10k total then let then know. All scopes and accessories covered- unless single article is over £4k

Oh and I pay £150 per annum for something like £75k of contents insurance, new for old, cover away from home.

Edited by Mitchiet123

I'm with Sheila's Wheels for house and contents, :whistling:

Guns are listed as sporting equipment but they know they are shotguns,

I had to pay a bit extra as 1 gun is over £1k so I'm covered up to £3k which is enough for now, anything under £1k is automatically covered

:shaun: