Bulging batteries?!

One of my 12 volt 17 amp batteries sides have bulged when use at weekend.Is it Knackered/dangerous? Second 1 it's happened to.Charge em on optimate smart chargers i use on my bikes.Never had any probs with them.Would it be jus wear and tare as they are lugged round the fields and used every week? Cheers, NB

All of mine without exception have bulged when I have left them charging for too long. The charger is not a trickle feed one and despite leaving myself notes all over the place as a reminder it happens regularly.

In my experience the batteries which have bulged hold slightly less charge once they have become distorted.

Sounds a little dodgy to me!!

I've never had a battery bulging, and wouldn't want one in the house if it did.

I use a slow charger on mine, usually takes overnight to charge but it stops charging automatically.

Maybe one of my smart chargers is playing up then.Run 4 on my bikes 24/7 for years and never had a problem. Should work the battery like it's being used once charged and optimates supposed to be brill. Battery is a power sonic and felt sure it haden't bulged when i put it on the magnet. Left the last one that done it outside and the lads that broke in to my van and shooting truck took it. NB

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like its swelled I would discard it I use a deben lithium 24 amp battery light weight reliable and I use it 3 to 4 outings running the rotary. Best thing about it you don't no you are carrying it. Expensive but worth the money took me ages to part with the money but it was worth it in the end.