Decisions. .

Jay_Russell

I now have been given the full 2500 acres on the farm I shoot, which borders the syndicate shoot I help to run. Firstly the farmer is needing the ever increasing bunny population sorted. I just can't keep up with them by using my shottie. Also the foxes are a bit of pain because the shoot certainly attracts them!

I'm under Essex so it will be a year regardless until I get my FAC but I do need to get the ball rolling. I had thought .17hmr as it's cheap to feed and obviously ideal for the bunnies. But essex say no no on the foxes.

Ideally I only want one rifle, I'm not interested in meat for the pot either. Land I'd cleared for .243 and the shoot is cleared for .303.

But as a first time FAC holder what options do I have in terms of calibre that realistically I stand a chance of getting.

100 yds plus for bunnies and foxes ill have to reign that distance in some what, ideally cheap factory rounds, I don't have the time for home loading.

Am I asking for to much ??

Why do you only want one rifle? With 2500 acres I would have thought you would have the work for a foxing rifle a bunny rifle and may be a long range bunny corvid rifle, just because you put in for them (and getting them) doesn't mean you have to buy them straight away.

For 90% of my keepering the HMR is fine. Had 3 crows, 6 rabbits and 3 fox cubs in a 24hr period last week, from 20yds to 300yds (had been set up target shooting with the range finder and a crow dropped in to the target, complete fluke and could never repeat it!) I just call a mate in with 223 or 243 for longer range foxes in the winter

22LR (subs and moderator = fab sub 100 yd bunnie gun) and 222/223. Both looked upon as a logical step up the calibre progression route by FEOs, cheap to feed (reload for), good for fox and rabit and effective at longer range. That or something like a .204 Ruger.

Sound like you have plenty of good reason to own a centre fire so don't be put off applying.

You mention plenty of bunnies to control so you need a cheap to feed rimfire or you will soon start to feel the cost of shooting bunnies with bigger ammo.

Why not go .22 rimfire for vermin & .243 for fox and deer. That way you have every possibility covered by 2 guns. Both calibres have older models around that can by picked up for little money.

Edited by pg123

22LR (subs and moderator = fab sub 100 yd bunnie gun) and 222/223. Both looked upon as a logical step up the calibre progression route by FEOs, cheap to feed (reload for), good for fox and rabit and effective at longer range. That or something like a .204 Ruger.

I would agree with that. A 'classic' boring combination of 22LR (dead cheap to feed) and a 223 (every single gunshop in the country stocks ammo, so no worries there) would be ideal.

If you have 2500 acres of rabbit and fox then you can have what you need.

Put the case, it is nothing to do with a first application and what you realistically stand a chance of getting.

If you have the job for them you can have them!

I, and many others got centrefire on First Grant, because we needed them!

If you are determined to get 1 rifle then consider seriously the Hornets but frankly, try for at least 2.

Thank you for all your imput guys, the idea for one rifle was a cost of purchase and secondly if I see a fox while out sorting the rabbits I'm not really going to pop back to my truck and change rifles. I have heard essex will not put fox on hmr even though aolq is likely so as fox is classed as vermin by the home office I am not sure why essex arnt happy.

But I suppose if I had what a friend of mine suggested a .223 at a quid a shot I'm soon going be broke shooting at bunnies but I could make some in roads on the munties. Might as well just have two rifles and select what quarry I'm really after day by day

I'll re read all the above again tomorow and give it all some thought

Thanks again guys,

Edited by Jay_Russell

If i could only have one gun it would be my 222. If I go out rabbit shooting 80% of the time i reach for my 17HMR. Im not say the 22r is not a great round but the HMR gives you the opportunity to take on shot you could never manage with a 22 lr.

.17 hmr if the home office say it's legal for fox can't see why Essex is not following this.

You want cheap to feed the .22 rf is the cheapest then HMR, as folk have said the HMR will do most of what you want pest wise. 243 for fox and deer as you won't shoot as many rounds.

Well after re reading what everyone has inputted I think I will go down the two rifle route.

.17hmr for the rabbits, I like the flat trajectory and with the cost of amunition pretty much on par with shotgun carts it makes sense.

As for a CF I do like the sound of the .204 ruger again speed and flat trajectory. But not muntjac calibre as it's min .240 for all dear isn't it ?

The dear on the land is shot by somone that actualy pays for that plus the added cost of going down the dsc1 one course that most people are 'asked' to do!

Edited by Jay_Russell

Well after re reading what everyone has inputted I think I will go down the two rifle route.

.17hmr for the rabbits, I like the flat trajectory and with the cost of amunition pretty much on par with shotgun carts it makes sense.

As for a CF I do like the sound of the .204 ruger again speed and flat trajectory. But not muntjac calibre as it's min .240 for all dear isn't it ?

The dear on the land is shot by somone that actualy pays for that plus the added cost of going down the dsc1 one course that most people are 'asked' to do!

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

For all deer of any species – a minimum calibre of .240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

Think I've made the decision, hmr for vermin and aolq, and .223 for vermin aolq in legal deer. Both rifles a plentiful to find second hand, reasonable cost for the amunition and easy to get hold of and a reasonable purchase price. will of course cover everything I need.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Edited by Jay_Russell

Apply for whatever you want within reason. As long as you have a very good reason for needing that specific calibre e.g 22-250 for long range fox then you should get it.

I got .17hmr, .22lr, .223, and .308 on first grant. Ideally you'll want a calibre that you can easily get factory rounds for (like .223 or .243) if you haven't got time for reloading.

Good luck (wish I had 250 acres let alone 2500 to shoot on!) Haha

I wish I had asked for more than the 17hmr and .22, pretty sure I would have got .243. Now going to put in for a variation and wait 4-5 months again!

As already said, ask for as many as you think you will use and buy as and when needed. It's better to do a one for one variation than a new Calibre app I'm told?