Safe safes?

Squished

Just put in for my FAC and SGC. Going to get a safe installed before interview since wait times around here are already up to 5 months I'm told.

I've seen a decent 5 gun with ammo section from Bratton Stroud for 200, which seems quality. There are same spec safes from places like dirty pro tools for 3/4 the amount which still meet all the same requirements...

So what do you have fitted? Would you buy the same again? Different safe for ammo a better idea?

Any advice welcome.

Just put in for my FAC and SGC. Going to get a safe installed before interview since wait times around here are already up to 5 months I'm told.

I've seen a decent 5 gun with ammo section from Bratton Stroud for 200, which seems quality. There are same spec safes from places like dirty pro tools for 3/4 the amount which still meet all the same requirements...

So what do you have fitted? Would you buy the same again? Different safe for ammo a better idea?

Any advice welcome.

I'm a fan of Infac safes - solid construction, decent sized locks and the door has steel, locks and steel again.

Locks need to be 'double closed' also - just remember this as we got a locksmith out to a club when the safe wouldn't open.

Turns out someone had just turned it once and basically ripped the key out.

Expensive lesson to relearn...

I assume you are going for a grant instead of a renewal?

I am not saying don't get a safe but I just wanted to share the response I received from Hampshire Firearms Licensing:

Question - "I assume I must have my gun cabinet fitting before the home visit?"

Answer Received - "No we advise that you wait until your certificate is granted before you install security as there is no guarantee you will be granted a certificate."

Hope this helps in anyway :good:

Always remember : whatever gun safe you buy, you'll probably need a bigger one !

Gunsafes are quite cramped for space, especially for scoped rifles. I've got a Brattonsound RL5+ for my rifles (3 rifles), and there's not a lot of spare space in there.

I've just upgraded to a ST7+ for the shotguns, which gives me a lot more free space around the guns than I had previously with a ST5 (4 shotguns, including 2 s/s guns)

Finally, yes, Brattonsound are expensive. But they also offer a 3 year full callout warranty. http://www.brattonsound.co.uk/3yearwarranty.pdf

What warranty does the cheaper cabinet come with, and is it full call-out included ?

as Hendrix says above GDK are good and are well priced just remember to go bigger than you plan for as the numbers they say they hold are just for shotguns not rifles so if you want to have 6 guns your better buying an 8 gun safe etc.

I bought a big Sealey one with electronic keypad. The battery ran out and started making some weird noises when I wasn't in so I just use the key now. It has a built in ammo cabinet but it's not really big enough to hold the mods as well. Needs some organising

I bought a big Sealey one with electronic keypad. The battery ran out and started making some weird noises when I wasn't in so I just use the key now. It has a built in ammo cabinet but it's not really big enough to hold the mods as well. Needs some organising

I find the same with the ammo part of my Brattonsound RL5+. Put a couple of hundred 223, 100 308, 4-500 22LR and 3 moderators in there and it's pretty packed full.

I have recently purchased a new safe and here are the reasons I bought a ST9+ from Brattonsound.

The ST9 has no pretty useless tiny lockable ammo. safe or shelf, saving apx. £80.00 on the cost of a gunsafe. A large digilock normal safe can be purchased for about £35.00

The ST9 has vault style bolts rather than two locks, much more secure

The ST9 has only one (1) key

Brattonsound supply a three year on site warranty

They are made in Britain!

They are of consistantly good build quality

Usually they arrive in about a week.

The ST9 costs apx. £205.00 (It is the same cabinet and cost as the RD7+) 1308 x 407 x 346

It is shorter at 1308mm tall

The ST9 is advertised as a deep nine (9) gun safe (Without scopes) but there are eleven (11) foam slots inside (Although for a comfortable fit you more than likely won't fit that many)

Icing on the cake is you will get a free sachet of VP90 :good:

I don't mean for this to sound like an advertisement but I wanted to share my findings and hope it helps anybody.

Brattonsound SL5+ for me. Vault style locks, one main key, ammo safe and will hold 6 firearms including 3 scoped rifles. Ammo compartment whilst not huge is big enough. Not a fan of small ammo safes that can be lifted and taken away unless bolted down.

Brattonsound all the way for me. Wouldn't bother about a large internal safe as the only things I keep in there are the rifle bolts/mags, rifle ammo and some bits and pieces. End of the day, thieves aren't going to break into your cabinet, they just rip them out of the walls and take the whole thing.

Brattonsound all the way for me. Wouldn't bother about a large internal safe as the only things I keep in there are the rifle bolts/mags, rifle ammo and some bits and pieces. End of the day, thieves aren't going to break into your cabinet, they just rip them out of the walls and take the whole thing.

A thief will do well to manage that with mine. 12 inches of resin bolt into a stone inglenook fireplace !

A thief will do well to manage that with mine. 12 inches of resin bolt into a stone inglenook fireplace !

And mine, its hidden, 8 6 inch bolts through some substantial brick work in a locked room with 2 German shepherds roaming the house. Want to try? Il send you my address;) ps, I'm told the owner is a bit grumpy :lol:

Does ammunition have to be stored in a safe that is fixed to the wall or floor as well?

I'm considering getting a totally separate safe for ammunition and hiding it elsewhere, rather than a built in compartment in the main safe.

It would be much easier if this wasn't required to be wall/floor mounted as well.

Does anyone know definitively?

hello, i am with TVP and when i had the land check and given the ok for both FAC and shotgun which took a few weeks to arrive only then did i put in 2 cabinets and 1 ammo safe. ammo safe from GDK sent to local argos.

Alright G!

Nice to see ya.

So do you have to fix the ammo safe to a wall mate?